GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Canada can't seem to put two passes together nor do they look like they even want to be playing. Part of that is because the US is playing that much better.

I didn't want to play the US before and I'm not liking what I'm seeing now.

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
Subban reminds me a lot of Bryzgalov. Pick your poison, Lu or Bryz.

luongo-sad.jpeg

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Must be taking night classes at the Pierre McGuire School of Broadcasting

:laugh:

I wish he was doing this tournament so we could get another Toskala save like explosion from Pierre.

Someone in the GDT on the main board just wrote "where art thou Jordan" and I died laughing

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
Great two periods for USA. Canada just didn't show up. Subban looked okay considering his team in front of him and a few of the goals he had no chance. Hamilton has looked pretty mediocre. Haven't been looking for Camara much.

I'll catch the highlights in the morning, already 1:30 in the morning here in Alaska.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Face it, Subban didn't exactly have the greatest camp and tournament.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
We'll see what happens in the third period, but thus far the US has outplayed Canada comprehensively.

Looks more like they're playing Latvia than Canada. :naughty:

EDIT: Canada played better in the third but the US was too good, winning 5-1 to play for the gold medal on Saturday.

The US has played 6 games in 8 days. That is incredible for a contact sport which demands so much energy and physicality. Hockey players are a special breed of athlete.

Last edited:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Nice game for USA. Didn't see the first but Canada didn't have it there mentally. It's one game, Im not going to give up hope on Subban but Randy's point is completely valid.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
time for a quick trip to Panera before the Russia game starts

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
We'll see what happens in the third period, but thus far the US has outplayed Canada comprehensively.

Looks more like they're playing Latvia than Canada. :naughty:

EDIT: Canada played better in the third but the US was too good, winning 5-1 to play for the gold medal on Saturday.

The US has played 6 games in 8 days. That is incredible for a contact sport which demands so much energy and physicality. Hockey players are a special breed of athlete.

IIRC 6 of the last 8 teams that made it to the Gold Medal game played in a Quarter Final game. The Bye doesn't seem to be much of an advantage in this tournament anymore

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great game from the US, too many Canadians still maintain this attitude that it`s absolute failure at the Tournament if the boys don`t win or come home with a Gold. I used to be exactly that way myself when younger however, as we have seen, the US, a few years back began digging their heels in and putting together a program of player development that has clearly brought them right up to the level where they deserve to be in the conversation yearly at the WJHC`s.

Sweden/Russia/Finland seem to be solid foes as well. What I`d like to see, if possible, is a Team Canada who is coached by the same coach for a few years in a row. Thinking along the lines of creating a consistency. I didn`t see this team at any time other than the Russian game, and in spurts against the USA in the first game, playing with any fire, any consistency.

Fury will overtake the nation here now, the media will jump all over the program for not producing, questions will be asked. It gets ludicrous here and tiresome. Bottom line, this ISN`T just our game, this is a global game, playing in a short tournament in which things happen, and this nation`s record is pretty darn good, other nation`s are either catching up, or have caught up and good on them.

I could be one of those rare Canadian fans who, although not pumped about playing for Bronze, looks at this as a potentially good thing if some of the decision makers take their heads out of the sand and start asking questions about exactly what identity do they want to create for teams playing in this tournament??

Without any grey area, when this tournament started in years past, with Team Canada you knew a few things were guaranteed

A- stellar goaltending
B- bang and crashers........who received solid ice time
C- Didn`t play ticky tacky hockey, had lots of talent, but playing hard and physical on the puck at all times
D- Seemingly whomever coached, had essentially the same game plan

Blame goes where?? I don`t know, don`t care who "could" be at fault. Having some small insight to the Amateur hockey scene here with my Minor Hockey coaching background, I can tell you, there`s a ton of politics that takes place (as I am sure it does everywhere) and THAT is the problem, a few too many kids in the sandbox.

I`m proud of these kids, always am, tough tournament, incredibly impossible expectations placed on them, and when this is all said and done, they`ll take a long flight home and be hammered with questions about "what went wrong". Get over it Canada, we lost to a team who played with passion, discipline and made plays when they needed to, in other words, for this 60 minute game at least, the better team, THAT`S what went wrong.

Congrats to the USA, well earned win

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I can be a harsh critic, but I always love the vitriol and hate these KIDS get for not winning a tournament that they were just thrown together to play in... A glorified all star tournament (obviously played at a much higher tempo then an all star game) that people put far too much stock in when evaluating a player or forming a concrete opinion..You don't see guys that are the best at what they do do this... There are many factors..short tournament...different time zone.. Over a week to ten days a player could be sick, could be in a slump....they aren't even pros yet for cryin out loud. Does it give as glimpse on how certain players may play on a big stage, yeah I guess, but it's not the be all end all.

I understand that Canada had five guys (at minimum) that would have broken camp with their NHL teams, but sometimes you just run up against a hot team, and or a hot goalie. **** happens. Hardly something to jump off the bridge over.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He came up small against Germany and Slovakia and did it again tonight. That's what people will remember, a 4th staight year of failure for Canada.

I hate to break the news to people, but many of the teams in these types of tourney's can come up with 25 or so kids that are as good or better then Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad