GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Wait why is their an ad for Alberta at the Staples center? We in their right mind is traveling from LA to Alberta, you go the other direction :laugh:

People who want to work in a healthy economy?

And I'm sure not the only one who prefers slopes to beaches. Banff & Jasper are as nice as anything Cali has to offer.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Bob Miller was on that podcast last night and acted as though he knew something regarding the opener, and said it wasn't VAN, PHX, ANA or SJ.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Bob Miller was on that podcast last night and acted as though he knew something regarding the opener, and said it wasn't VAN, PHX, ANA or SJ.

I hope it's not the blues. They are going to want to kill us after we swept their butts.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut

If that's the case then my guess is either the blackhawks or the red wings since the game will likey be on national tv

KingKopitar11*

What are you serious? I dont give a damn for any other team except the ones you just listed. that sucks

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If that's the case then my guess is either the blackhawks or the red wings since the game will likey be on national tv

Teams that "share" arena's with other teams will get first dibs on home games

Stars were originally schedule to play SJ on the 19th so they probably keep that
Pepsi center has an open date on the 19th. Colorado could do a home game

Chicago could play a day game at home. Bulls play that night, I think Hawks play at home on the 19th.

I am guessing the Red Wings, Joe Louis is pretty wide open for games and it is not a shared arena. Blues might be another possibility.

I think Wild, Sharks, Ducks, Red Wings, Blues, Nashville or Columbus, all start on the Road. .

Kings-Wings
Hawks -Blues
Avs - Wild
Calgary-Edmonton
Stars - Sharks
Canucks - Ducks or Yotes
Preds -Jackets

Guess 1 team will not play on Saturday..

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
BAHwDilCYAAArJS.jpg:large

Wait why is their an ad for Alberta at the Staples center? We in their right mind is traveling from LA to Alberta, you go the other direction :laugh:

Maybe we're playing Edmonton or Calgary for our home opener?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
People who want to work in a healthy economy?

And I'm sure not the only one who prefers slopes to beaches. Banff & Jasper are as nice as anything Cali has to offer.

Have you visited Mammoth Mountain? It's one of the best mountains in the world to ski or ride. It's about a six hour a drive and I head up about once a month during the season. We have slopes and beaches. I can think of more than a few reasons why someone would prefer Alberta to California, but natural beauty and things to do are certainly not on the list.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Have you visited Mammoth Mountain? It's one of the best mountains in the world to ski or ride. It's about a six hour a drive and I head up about once a month during the season. We have slopes and beaches. I can think of more than a few reasons why someone would prefer Alberta to California, but natural beauty and things to do are certainly not on the list.
Jasper and Banff have far more natural beauty than Mammoth Mountain. I'd venture to say that Jasper and Banff have more natural beauty than pretty much anywhere in California.

Ron*

Goddamnit, I have a feeling the owners of the Sharks, Canucks, and Ducks called the NHL to tell them that they didn't want to be part of our banner night.

Possibly, but I can understand the Sharks and Canucks.

The Ducks, however, have a Stanley Cup title. They should have gotten short shrift from the league office if they made such a request.

Ron*

Opening against Detroit would suck, hate how they pack our barn.

On the other hand, NO ONE gave away their tickets during the playoff run...perhaps those same STH will pack our arena to see the banner raising, and that would be awesome to keep away the Detroit fans.

Another point: ticket booklets won't even be printed up until later this week...the teams have less than 10 days to get those booklets out to the STH. It's going to be a mad scramble for that first game.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
the tickets to opening night were sold an a very high premium. Except for those who wanted a refund, everyone who bought a ticket is guaranteed their seat whenever that game takes place. I doubt there will be many Wing fans or fans of whomever they play.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Possibly, but I can understand the Sharks and Canucks.

The Ducks, however, have a Stanley Cup title. They should have gotten short shrift from the league office if they made such a request.

The thing with the Ducks is that they may have already won the Cup, we still lucked out that we weren't their opponents on their banner night so Kings fans attending the game would not have had to endure Ducks' fans memorable moments. If we get the Ducks on our banner night, visiting Ducks fans (albeit only a few of them go to Staples) will have to watch something they always hoped would never happen. In other words, a big **** you to them especially that toolbag Hayward.

The Butcher

Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Jasper and Banff have far more natural beauty than Mammoth Mountain. I'd venture to say that Jasper and Banff have more natural beauty than pretty much anywhere in California.

I take it you've visited both. My bad. I'd bet the two areas are comparable in terms of scenic beauty but I haven't made it quite that far north yet so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Still weird about that air alberta sign, though.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I take it you've visited both. My bad. I'd bet the two areas are comparable in terms of scenic beauty but I haven't made it quite that far north yet so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have been to both. Don't get me wrong, California has some amazing scenery, but Alberta is comparable (and even better, in some respects).

And Chicago, huh? The Kings don't quite have a rivalry going with them. I was hoping it would have been someone like Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, or Phoenix. Too bad.

Ron*

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
A few of you mentioning MIN/COL and STL/DET. That's what I get for falling asleep, missing all this stuff

EDM/CGY per Peter Maher via @JonathanWillis

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Sorry to extend the Ducks talk, but this got me thinking. What if the Samuelis filed for divorce? Would that be another Jamie-Frank-type war? I can never trust an owner couple when each half has equal power.

Ron*

And Chicago, huh? The Kings don't quite have a rivalry going with them. I was hoping it would have been someone like Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, or Phoenix. Too bad.

It's just a guess from Friedman; however, as you can see from his other tweets teams are being eliminated left and right, so Chicago is just about the only team left.

Ron*

I will say the league got it right originally with the Rangers and Kings...I mean, that would have been a DYNAMITE game to open the season.

Oh, well.

The Butcher

Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad