GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
I like the way they are doing the schedule this year. I thought they might have us play 6-8 times within the division. I'm glad we'll see more of the other Western Conference divisions.

I sure hope they complete the realignment next year. I really like the idea of seeing every team at least once every year.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
FYI for anyone wondering how they divide a 48 game season interconference:

TSNBobMcKenzie: Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

so no cross conference games then?

side note what was the word on realignment.

Realignment has been pushed on the back burner for now.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Interesting to note, that I just learned on the trade board, that teams can now trade cap space, so players that don't live up to their deals can technically still have good trade value if their respective teams are willing to each some of that cap space to deal them.

RETAINING SALARY IN TRADES
This was Brian Burke’s baby, an idea he pushed for years at GM meetings. Under the old CBA, teams could not absorb any part of a salary from a player they were trading -- unlike baseball for example.

But in this new agreement, teams will be able to do that.

Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarek and his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders (hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

There are also other interesting facts about the new CBA:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

Ron*

At least one scheduled game has been leaked

At least one scheduled game has been leaked...

winnipegfreepress_circle_normal.gif

Winnipeg Free Press @WinnipegNews
Jets to host Sens Jan. 19 [url=http://wfp.to/qkm]http://wfp.to/qkm[/URL]

TwzKing

Nov 19, 2004
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
So that's 3 games set so far for the 19th: PIT vs. PHI (1pm ET) and OTT vs WPG (2:30pm ET). LA opens at 3pm or 4pm ET (opponent TBA)

Ron*

All afternoon games so far.

I rather raise the banner at night...but whatever. Another ****-up due to the lockout.

Ron*

bdsgubhcsvmuvmn7an4d_normal.jpeg

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing that hope is for Battle of Pennsylvania and banner-raising in LA to be among first games played on 19th

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
All afternoon games so far.

I rather raise the banner at night...but whatever. Another ****-up due to the lockout.

Damn Ron, you're hard to please. I thought you'd at least be happy the 1st game wasn't going to be played on Jan 1st.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Damn Ron, you're hard to please. I thought you'd at least be happy the 1st game wasn't going to be played on Jan 1st.

Hahaha...got him. No offense Ron, but I yearn for the days when you weren't so pissed off all of the time ;) Hopefully you'll have mellowed a bit once the season is a couple of weeks in.

I'm with you on raising the banner at night though. We've gone from a Friday night (FRIDAY!) game against a glamour team in the Rangers to an afternoon game with a somewhat weary fanbase and without our #1 center. It's going to be a much lamer atmoshpere but we all knew that out of the league's fanbase, we were getting screwed the most. I just hate the still asleep afternoon crowd...this should have been done at night with fans showing up well before the game to start the party.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I'd like to play the Canucks. They're the only team that I really consider us to be "rivals" with. Always thought Kings vs. Ducks was a "fake" rivalry...

Ron*

Hahaha...got him. No offense Ron, but I yearn for the days when you weren't so pissed off all of the time ;) Hopefully you'll have mellowed a bit once the season is a couple of weeks in.

I am not really pissed all the time...just not real pleased with finally winning a Cup after 45 years of waiting, and then having to wait for the banner raising because of these greedy ******** (that includes the owners and players).

Add to the fact that their a-holy bickering cost the chance for our own PA, a dedicated Kings fan, to see the banner raising as scheduled, seems particularly disturbing.

No, sorry. I probably won't mellow. I have seen three of these work stoppages in my time, and in my opinion, all three were absolutely unnecessary. I am not so young anymore. I don't have 40 years left like most of you.

So yeah, I feel cheated. And it was totally unnecessary.

Rod Buskas*

i have an idea:

lets open the season saturday at home with the banner raising.

then, on sunday, we should play in Anaheim and raise the banner AGAIN since the Kings built that crappy arena. anyone agree ? :)

Rod Buskas*

any word on whether the Clippers will switch times with the Kings ?

Ron*

i have an idea:

lets open the season saturday at home with the banner raising.

then, on sunday, we should play in Anaheim and raise the banner AGAIN since the Kings built that crappy arena. anyone agree ? :)

:laugh:

any word on whether the Clippers will switch times with the Kings ?

Well, I am sure they would, given the fact the Kings own the arena (AEG does) and that the Clippers merely rent. However, I think the NHL is just as happy with an afternoon game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad