GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Quick question. When they say training camp will start Sunday, does that include the usual day of testing (physical fitness) that precedes it? Would that be on Saturday then?

RonSwanson*

Jasper and Banff have far more natural beauty than Mammoth Mountain. I'd venture to say that Jasper and Banff have more natural beauty than pretty much anywhere in California.

I'll take Yosemite over any of those.

Regardless, the skiing here in Colorado trumps Banff, Jasper, and Mammoth any day.

RonSwanson*

bdsgubhcsvmuvmn7an4d_normal.jpeg

This kind of makes sense...the previous WC Stanley Cup Champion and the most recent one, kind of a "passing of the torch," if you will.

That's too bad. They should have scheduled the Blues, so the home team has a guaranteed victory on their banner night.

Like a college homecoming game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Nothing says rivalry like playing the Blackhawks on opening night. Have you seen our record against them over the past few seasons?

Quick is 1-4-1 with a 2.66 GAA in six career starts in Chicago and 4-9-1 with a 2.39 GAA in 14 overall matchups

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Richards, Carter and Gagne will get some satisfaction out of having the banner raised against the Hawks.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is starting to get crazy:

Makes DL's decision not to give in to Kovlachuk's demands better and better. For all the *****ing about DL not signing that big name UFA and sticking to his guns contract wise, most of the time it's panned out in his favor.

Assuming that 3rd line maintains its play, what do you do when Kopitar comes back. Bump King down to the 4th line for 1 of Penner/Gagne, or put Penner/Gagne on the 4th?

Pretty sick position to be in as a coach/gm, that you just have too many quality players

If Penner plays like he did last regular season, he may be happy to even be on the 4th line by then. Plus Gagne's health is no guarantee.

To NJ is where I think he should be going all along. To bad they don't have a lot we'd be interested in considering our pro line up is pretty much set and they don't have much in terms of forward prospects. Even Josefsen isn't really doing much. I could see DL and crew liking Matteau. Maybe Matteau and a pick for Bernier? I'm not really high on that idea though. I like Matteau, but he'll likely be mostly a 3rd line banger, not worth a very good goaltending prospect.

Quick question. When they say training camp will start Sunday, does that include the usual day of testing (physical fitness) that precedes it? Would that be on Saturday then?

I don't think they can do anything until the CBA is formally ratified. The players are doing their vote Thursday and Friday, so they likely can't even say for certainty if it's ratified by the players until likely Saturday.

Nothing says rivalry like playing the Blackhawks on opening night. Have you seen our record against them over the past few seasons?

All the more reason to start Bernier :D

If that were the case, they should have scheduled Columbus.

Jeff Carter would love that. Jack Johnson, not so much.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Nice thing about starting with Chicago is Jamie Kompon will be in the building to get his ring and see the banner raised.

And... we won't be letting up any powerplay goals! :sarcasm:;)

Ron*

Hell, the team office didn't even have my correct address to mail me my ticket book, which I won't be getting anyway until sometime next week. :|

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Nice thing about starting with Chicago is Jamie Kompon will be in the building to get his ring and see the banner raised.

And... we won't be letting up any powerplay goals! :sarcasm:;)

Blackhawk fan here. I still have my hands in the air about that signing :banghead:

Granted, it would be very difficult for Chicago's powerplay to get worse than it already was.. :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Makes DL's decision not to give in to Kovlachuk's demands better and better. For all the *****ing about DL not signing that big name UFA and sticking to his guns contract wise, most of the time it's panned out in his favor.

I think it was pretty clear that DL never was going to bend over backwards for Kovalchuk. Still surprised that the Devils did, although there seem to be indications that the contract was ownership's idea and not Lamoriello's.

To NJ is where I think he should be going all along. To bad they don't have a lot we'd be interested in considering our pro line up is pretty much set and they don't have much in terms of forward prospects. Even Josefsen isn't really doing much. I could see DL and crew liking Matteau. Maybe Matteau and a pick for Bernier? I'm not really high on that idea though. I like Matteau, but he'll likely be mostly a 3rd line banger, not worth a very good goaltending prospect.

For better or worse, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg signed through 2014 with NTCs. If there's an injury/retirement/general ineffectiveness, perhaps they'll look into trading for a goalie. But at the moment, I don't think the plan is to trade for one.

Josefson is still young. It's only three years past his draft. I think we take for granted that it might take a few years for a player to get going in the pros. He had some bad injury luck last year. He lost his balance and crashed into the boards early in the season against San Jose and broke his collarbone. Worked his way back and fractured his wrist as the regular season was wrapping down.

His defensive game was pretty surprising for a 20/21 year old but he had zero confidence offensively. It was kinda funny in that Josefson's initial injury meant the Devils had to call up Adam Henrique who usurped the top 6 spot earmarked for Josefson. I'm hoping the lockout will end up being beneficial for a guy like Josefson who's been one of the few offensive threats on a below average Albany club.

Still think that there'll be more motivated suitors for Bernier. If Dubnyk isn't the answer, Edmonton's going to primed to add a goaltender next offseason. Nabokov is UFA after this season and the Islanders have a couple of decent goalie prospects (Kevin Poulin/Anders Nilsson) but I'm not sure they'd hand them the reigns immediately. I could see either of those two teams being better trade fits.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Sorry if it's been covered, but I saw that Barry posted that Mitchell has a "bad knee with no time table for return". I was under the assumption that it wasn't serious and he'd be ready for the season opener, but it sounds as if he may miss significant time.

He's usually pretty accurate when it comes to injuries on the team, but has there been any updates on Mitchell's status?

Not having Kopitar and Mitchell for any length of time in this shortened season could be real bad.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Sorry if it's been covered, but I saw that Barry posted that Mitchell has a "bad knee with no time table for return". I was under the assumption that it wasn't serious and he'd be ready for the season opener, but it sounds as if he may miss significant time.

He's usually pretty accurate when it comes to injuries on the team, but has there been any updates on Mitchell's status?

Not having Kopitar and Mitchell for any length of time in this shortened season could be real bad.

I wouldn't worry about it until we get official information and camp starts. Right now people are throwing out all kinds of numbers.

Ron*

Eric Stephens @icemancometh
Reports are Kings will raise banner Jan. 19 vs. CHI. Rumors were ANA might be visitor but know Ducks didn't want any part of that.

To quote PHT:

Update: To add to the fun, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register says the Ducks were rumored to be the banner-raising opponent for the Kings, but Anaheim wanted no part in it. Come on guys, who doesn’t want to ruin a rival’s night?

Exactly.

Time to rename the Ducks as the Chickens, as in chicken ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad