GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
i do like Lokti but there is just no room on the front 2 lines for a center. he really should consider moving to a winger, if not, we should see what we can get for him

There is no room on the front two lines for a center, yet Kopitar might be out for a couple weeks. Seems to me like there is going to be room on the front 2 lines for a center and that will set Loktis trade value for when Kopitar comes back

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Assuming that 3rd line maintains its play, what do you do when Kopitar comes back. Bump King down to the 4th line for 1 of Penner/Gagne, or put Penner/Gagne on the 4th?
Pretty sick position to be in as a coach/gm, that you just have too many quality players

Having so many good forwards is a nice option for Sutter isn't it? But I think he's smart enough to play the best players where they best belong. So I think Kopitar being injured or not doesn't affect Gagne and Penner. I think Gagne would have started on the 2nd line with Richards and Carter, Penner with Stoll and Lewis. Gagne's far too talented not to be used the right way, with the center he's had great history and chemistry with for years.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
This is starting to get crazy:

This guy is the complete opposite of what an NHL player should be. He, and everyone else, knows that he's coming back but I think he just likes to stir things up. He has no respect for his team, this league, or north America for that matter.

Could you imagine how things would have turned out if this guy signed with the Kings? :shakehead

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Have been at rinkand have not scrolled down last couple of hours of tweets, so sorry if this is repeat, but re KHL: told that last Friday...

...last Friday, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk were preparing press release to announce they intended to remain in KHL regardless...

Told that quartet hd been promised immense amount of money (guarantee fromn Putin) to stay in KHL and not return to NHL...

Told that NHLPA was able to talk players out of issuing statement...Ovechkin has returned, Datsyuk has pledged to honor last 2 yrs with Det

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

That's nuts.

RonSwanson*

8 foot wide glass instead of 4-ft wide now.

Less poles to obstruct views.

I wonder how ZAM-MAN is going to replace these monster panes now.

BAHwDilCYAAArJS.jpg:large

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Excuse my ignorance....but aren't these guys under contract? how is it that it's even choice of whether they come back or not?

KHL and NHL have a MOA to observe each others contracts...but if the KHL can convince some stars to stay, they may rip that up for the sake of a Malkin/Kovalchuk/etc. But I doubt any of them are actually staying, and so far most indications (tweets from Bill Daly) indicate the KHL will not do this and do plan respect the contracts.

8 foot wide glass instead of 4-ft wide now.

Less poles to obstruct views.

I wonder how ZAM-MAN is going to replace these monster panes now.

BAHwDilCYAAArJS.jpg:large

Wait why is their an ad for Alberta at the Staples center? We in their right mind is traveling from LA to Alberta, you go the other direction :laugh:

Anyways, any news on who the Kings bring to camp from Manchester other than Voynov, Nolan and King? I gotta think Hickey and Loktionov come up for sure...

RonSwanson*

I seriously doubt he is going anywhere until the off-season.

Considering Quicks' injury and all.

Maybe Dean has another backup in mind that he can sign. Maybe he can get a good return for Bernier now.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
My hope is Bernier goes east, preferably New Jersey. DL will obviously take the best offer he can get at the time he trades him, but I'm sure he wants him out east as well.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
The Flyers could need a goalie. Bryzgalov did not perform well last year and he would be a cheap alternative to him. Terry Murray coaches their farmer team, so they have some knowledge.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
The Flyers could need a goalie. Bryzgalov did not perform well last year and he would be a cheap alternative to him. Terry Murray coaches their farmer team, so they have some knowledge.

Who would we want from Philly though? Read maybe since we may lose both Penner and Gagne this off season

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I like Loki just as much as the next guy. There is a reason he was a bench player when Sutter got here.

Guys/ladies, potential is no longer a reason to give prospects Ice time on top lines with the Kings.

Loki has never even completed a year in the AHL(Kings fault).

We must remember Sutter likes to play a certain style of hockey. I am afraid Loki doesn't meet the criteria of Hockey.

Loki would be much better served in a system like the NYI or Philly.(IE wide open hockey).

The Kings have a top six Natural Center sitting on the second line (Jeff Carter).

The Kings are not going to put a guy with 59 career games and 14 points into their top six at the center position; on a cup defending team. Especially in a short season, two bad weeks can end your playoff hopes.

That is unfair to Current roster players, and also very unfair to ask Loki to carry that load.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
FYI for anyone wondering how they divide a 48 game season interconference:

TSNBobMcKenzie: Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

I would like Matt Read or a 1st round pick in 2013 +.

As a Flyer fan , I'd be upset at losing Read, he 's become my favorite player. Very high IQ, leader, great in all 3 zones , rarely makes a mistake and doesn't waste tiem or space, his 24 goals were not a fluke, he's a very good 2 way player.

And unfortunately, since the Flyers have a threadbare D corp, I have a bad feeling we'll lose him in a trade (huge mistake, he and Coutuirier are the only solid , reliable 2 way forwards on the team, best 2 defensive forwards they have.)

Flyers D is a mess...Mezaros not recovered from his Achilles tendon surgery, Gustuffason on crutches, Bourdon out with concussion, Grossman on a wonky knee and post concussion.
So they have Coburn, Timmonen, L. Schenn, Bruno Gervais, Matt Walker and Lilja
Doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of the other teams in the East, esp when they have that brick wall in goal behind them.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

TSNBobMcKenzie: Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

As a Flyer fan , I'd be upset at losing Read, he 's become my favorite player. Very high IQ, leader, great in all 3 zones , rarely makes a mistake and doesn't waste tiem or space, his 24 goals were not a fluke, he's a very good 2 way player.

And unfortunately, since the Flyers have a threadbare D corp, I have a bad feeling we'll lose him in a trade (huge mistake, he and Coutuirier are the only solid , reliable 2 way forwards on the team, best 2 defensive forwards they have.)

Flyers D is a mess...Mezaros not recovered from his Achilles tendon surgery, Gustuffason on crutches, Bourdon out with concussion, Grossman on a wonky knee and post concussion.
So they have Coburn, Timmonen, L. Schenn, Bruno Gervais, Matt Walker and Lilja
Doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of the other teams in the East, esp when they have that brick wall in goal behind them.

I feel sorry for Flyer fans having to watch that awful Defense. Luke Schenn is highly overrated. The kid has a lot of work to do. Also now Luke is stuck in yet another wide open system in philly.

KingKopitar11*

Bernier for Giroux straight up. I might hesitate but its for the best.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I expect just a first round pick for Johnny B. I would be very happy if Dean gets that for him.

I believe that was the holdup last year, No team was willing to part with a 1st rounder.

bobafettish*

so no cross conference games then?

side note what was the word on realignment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad