OT: 2012-13 MLB Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

Biggio, Piazza, Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Mattingly, Sosa, Palmeiro, and Rose should all be in. Bagwell, Raines, and Schilling are all borderline and don't mind either way.

Baseball writers and the most arrogant people involved with sports.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
The writers I hate are the ones who never vote someone in. Like you have to be similar to Babe Ruth to get in the Hall.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It goes to show you how bad of a witch hunt some of these writers have (maybe because of being snubbed by a player once or twice or because of silly stubbonrness due to a couple of stats), when no player in the history of the game has had 99% of the votes

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The writers I hate are the ones who never vote someone in. Like you have to be similar to Babe Ruth to get in the Hall.

Giving Aaron Sele and Shawn Green votes are even worse.

Former HOF'ers and broadcasters should get a vote too, the writers are too corrupt.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I don't mind the idea of not voting, as long as its for a justified reason. If you feel no one is deserving and don't want to vote for someone just for the sake of voting SOMEBODY in, then that's fine. There are a bunch of guys that don't deserve to be in that are probably because too many guys feel obligated to put someone in. I do think there was at least one deserving candidate, but whatever. I would be more unhappy with a guy like Jack Morris getting in yesterday because someone had to get in. That's a bigger crime than making someone wait a year thanks to an empty class this time around.

Former HOF'ers and broadcasters should get a vote too, the writers are too corrupt.

It doesn't bother me when guys like that get votes. They're clearly never getting in, and there's no guarantee those writers are going to vote for those guy every year they're on the ballot. Maybe its a one time thing to do a little favor for a guy they had the pleasure of working with. Just allowing them to avoid putting up 0s for one year. To me, making a 'joke vote' is no worse than the writers that feel they're the judge and jury over who is and isn't guilty of something (i.e. the steroid witch hunt). Not voting for the guys who have tested positive, were clearly implicated/connected to steroids (Palmeiro, McGwire, Sosa, Clemens) is fine. There's really not much guessing in regards to their involvement. But the people who feel they have to withhold their votes because its up to them to out the guilty people who haven't been connected are ridiculous. If that's what held people off from voting for Piazza, Bagwell, etc and keeps people from voting for guys like Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr. etc, then those are people that don't deserve to keep their votes.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Do the Mets let Santana walk at the end of the year, pick his option up, or trade him mid-season?

I don't see him being back with them, think they should try to trade him mid-season to a contender (regardless of their standing) and try to get something for him rather than let him walk

http://mets360.com/?p=14091

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

calder.jpg

Still haven't gotten over whoever gave Josh Harding a 5th place vote for Calder in 2007. Harding started 4 games that season. And unless I'm mistaken, he was still eligible for Calder the following season.

// best of luck to Harding who got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis recently

apice3*

Woody Paige said he knows writers who do not vote for anyone on their first ballot. So stubborn.

You're going to see changes to the HOF voting process within 20 years or so when those old grumpy schmucks start croaking.

apice3*

300 home runs and 1200 RBI for a primarily leadoff hitter is very good. Biggio did it all. Gold gloves, silver slugger, stolen bases, everything else.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Michael Morse traded to Mariners, catcher Jon Jaso to Oakland, and right-handed pitching prospects A.J. Cole and Blake Treinen to the Nats

Somehow I had no idea that Jaso did that well in a limited amount of ABs last year. Naturally his OBP seems exactly out of the Moneyball script (hopefully works better than say Bobby Kielty).

Cole was one of the prospects that Washington gave up in the Gio Gonzalez deal. Seemed to struggle in high A ball and Oakland has plenty of young pitching depth.

On an unrelated note, just discovered that Tommy Milone (another part of the Gonzalez deal) is from my high school (Saugus, CA). Previous to that our only claim to fame was Roger Salkeld who was the 3rd overall pick in 1989, but he hurt his arm and never became a permanent MLBer.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Espn:

The Atlanta Braves have agreed to a trade to acquire outfielder justin upton and third baseman chris johnson from the arizona diamondbacks for pitcher randall delgado, infielder martin prado and minor leaguers nick ahmed, brandon drury and zeke spruill, sources tell espn.

The deal would unite upton with his older brother, b.j. Upton, who signed as a free agent with atlanta this winter.

Also:

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS
Shaun Marcum has a deal with the #mets

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Yeah, but now we have nobody to play third. I'm happy to get upton, trust me, but losing a player that can play any position and bat anywhere in the lineup and never have one complaint while doing it is tough. Martin was one of the leaders on this team, and it sucks to see him go.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
I assume that Young was acquired to fill the new void at 3rd. i dont know much about the braves but Prado seems like a very valuable player with his versatility and his very good batting average, but its hard to think that the Braves didnt just get a fantastic player in return. i thought Braves fans would be more mad about Delgado being involved than Prado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad