Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
The whole population might be gone as almost everyone here questioned this pick.
Oh no, I loved this pick on draft night at 17. My hot take was that it made up for the the Danielson pick. I was on team drvosky and never thought ASP would still be there at 17. And full disclosure I began to change my tune on Danielson that night. Never fully acknowledged who bad Brandon was/is, but that's on me.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Would've won a lot of Norris trophies if not for Lidstrom being around.

Without Lidstrom his highest Norris votes would place him 2nd, so there is only 1 season where maybe he wins without Nick. I liked Zubov he was really good, but look at his Norris finishes, he only had 1 higher than 8th.

Reactions: Cake Eater

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Without Lidstrom his highest Norris votes would place him 2nd, so there is only 1 season where maybe he wins without Nick. I liked Zubov he was really good, but look at his Norris finishes, he only had 1 higher than 8th.

While this is true I also think you have to take into consideration the incredible anti Euro bias against defenders back then. Look at how long it took Lids to break through. (He got some rep wins at the end but I firmly believe he was denied a few in the 90s as well) I mean Lids and Pronger were generally the class of that era but Zubov should have definitely had way higher finishes than he did. He was definitely in the older Cheli/Bourque/ Leetch, Blake, Al Mac, Stevens, Younger Neids class and was certainly better than some of then during any given year.

He was a big reason those late 90s/ early 2000s Stars teams were just under the Wings and Avs in the western conference.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
here's hoping ASP wins more than one Norris but I would be willing to settle for just the one

Reactions: lilidk

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
how did we get this gem at 17?
1. Questions about his skating
2. He was listed in the media as shorter than his actual height—maybe he grew? But he got labeled "small", and a small defenseman with skating issues is super difficult to overcome in scouts' eyes.
3. Questions about his ultimate offensive upside. But it was one of those weird ones where he was producing, but scouts thought maybe it wouldn't translate.
4. He's not really the best defensive zone defender, and probably never will be

Considering 3/4 of those look downright inaccurate right now, it feels like some scouts really dropped the ball there. But it's still early.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Dvorsky's skating is on par with mine and the last time I skated was at 8.
Yeah Dvorsky's skating is not good. I harped on that a bit around draft time and got some pushback, saying ASP's skating is no better, and that I should be complaining about his skating as well. But I think ASP's skating is a strength, whereas Dvorsky's is a weakness.

Edgework is often overlooked by hockey fans, but if you've competed on the ice then you know that, more often than not, good edges are a greater advantage than straight-line speed. And ASP has always had very good edges.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
1. Questions about his skating
2. He was listed in the media as shorter than his actual height—maybe he grew? But he got labeled "small", and a small defenseman with skating issues is super difficult to overcome in scouts' eyes.
3. Questions about his ultimate offensive upside. But it was one of those weird ones where he was producing, but scouts thought maybe it wouldn't translate.
4. He's not really the best defensive zone defender, and probably never will be

Considering 3/4 of those look downright inaccurate right now, it feels like some scouts really dropped the ball there. But it's still early.
I'm not a pre-draft prospect hound like many, or like scouts have to be, so I had never seen ASP prior to like a week before the draft. But when I started watching him I didn't see skating as a weakness, and so those concerns seemed strange to me. Maybe there were some question about whether it would be a strength or just passable, and he's certainly not a burner, but right off the bat I could tell he had above-average edges. And that's a great foundation for being a good skater.

Reactions: lilidk

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think there was some bias against him because of how he played the game. Like a Datsyuk on defense at times. It didn’t fit the convdntional defenseman mold. I bet the analytics crowd would love him today though.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
1697831912794.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It is more common than you think. Look at some of the "new" top defensemen in the league. Fox, Makar, Hughes are about the same size.

2 out of 3 of those dmen aren't good defensively. and all 3 are better skaters. ASP fell because of his skating, and while it looks better than the pre-draft videos I watched, it's not anywhere close to what Makar can do.

Makar has better footwork with the puck than all but the elite forwards:

and Larkin-like speed:

Sorry, but aside from a handful of Wings, he's my favorite player.

Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad