Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Guy reminds me of a Sam Bennett & Tarasenko hybrid.

Insanely feisty and physical with a disgusting shot w. 30-40 goal potential

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I get the feeling he makes the team out of camp in 25-26.

Similar to Danielson, comes to this camp looking impressive and complete, but just not good enough to justify keeping him. Gets a full SHL season and a look in the NHL once it's over. Comes into camp next year leaving the team no choice.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
It’s funny to me people are quoting a clip of him shooting a one timer and saying SEE HE HAS UPSIDE. Everyone should have known he could do that already. That’s not where my questions are with him at all.

I’ll be curious to see if he can take another step with his puck skills and playmaking. Create more chances for him to use his shot and impact the game. Some of the folks at HP think he has that in him. If he does then we may have someone like Peterka on our hands.

But I have pretty modest expectations for him, that’s true. If he exceeds them, that will be awesome for all of us.

I was a big Peterka stan in 2020 but other than position they are very different wingers. Power forward vs. speedster are their archetypes.

MBN's puckhandling is already really solid, and his playmaking is at least average. And if you've seen his preseason work it should make you feel better because he's showing a lot of improvement in your areas of concern. (Small sample size, I know.) Like most goalscoring wingers he's going to need a playmaker to maximize his effectiveness, but that's not a negative. Danielson, Kasper, Berggren, Raymond, Larkin, even DeBrincat are all more than adequate as playmakers.

At 15, who else would you have picked that was on the board?

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was a big Peterka stan in 2020 but other than position they are very different wingers. Power forward vs. speedster are their archetypes.

MBN's puckhandling is already really solid, and his playmaking is at least average. And if you've seen his preseason work it should make you feel better because he's showing a lot of improvement in your areas of concern. (Small sample size, I know.) Like most goalscoring wingers he's going to need a playmaker to maximize his effectiveness, but that's not a negative. Danielson, Kasper, Berggren, Raymond, Larkin, even DeBrincat are all more than adequate as playmakers.

At 15, who else would you have picked that was on the board?
With the way the board fell, I think MBN was a totally reasonable pick. I had a few players I liked better, namely Jiricek, Connelly, Hage, Eiserman. I would have really liked if Helenius had made it 1 more pick, that would have been ideal.

I don't think he is someone who should have went top 10, so I will different expectations for those of you who did.

I see him as likely being a great athlete and good support player. Similar to some other guys who were picked in a similar range like Grabner, Kapanen, etc. Also think he has some similarities to both Zetterlund and Peterka. Something along those lines.

People even mentioning Pastrnak in this thread are out of their minds.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
With the way the board fell, I think MBN was a totally reasonable pick. I had a few players I liked better, namely Jiricek, Connelly, Hage, Eiserman. I would have really liked if Helenius had made it 1 more pick, that would have been ideal.

I don't think he is someone who should have went top 10, so I will different expectations for those of you who did.

I see him as likely being a great athlete and good support player. Similar to some other guys who were picked in a similar range like Grabner, Kapanen, etc. Also think he has some similarities to both Zetterlund and Peterka. Something along those lines.

People even mentioning Pastrnak in this thread are out of their minds.
If your projection turns out correct, this would be a failed pick.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I get the feeling he makes the team out of camp in 25-26.

Similar to Danielson, comes to this camp looking impressive and complete, but just not good enough to justify keeping him. Gets a full SHL season and a look in the NHL once it's over. Comes into camp next year leaving the team no choice.
The biggest difference for MBN is...size. Nat was impressive in camp, but not as physically as ready.

MBN may not be as impressive in camp as Nat was last year, but he already has the physical attributes to play as a youngster in the NHL.

Another year or two in the minors to grow his tool set versus grow the body could be in order, but I could see the wings giving him a test run at the start of the season if he impresses (like Raymond did) and then they have to decide make space for him or not.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The biggest difference for MBN is...size. Nat was impressive in camp, but not as physically as ready.

MBN may not be as impressive in camp as Nat was last year, but he already has the physical attributes to play as a youngster in the NHL.

Another year or two in the minors to grow his tool set versus grow the body could be in order, but I could see the wings giving him a test run at the start of the season if he impresses (like Raymond did) and then they have to decide make space for him or not.
The biggest difference is position if we are being honest, but I do agree that MBN will have a relatively short path to the NHL.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Rather than screaming about Yzerman picking Europeans, we might wanna watch what this kid is doing right now.

He’s been one of the top draft eligible forwards since January, and once again is having dominant shifts against men the last week or two.

It’s pretty rare to watch an 18 year old kid play as dominant a physical game as he has been. The sky really is the limit with him also having that shot, and thinking the game at the level he does. He’s out there creating space for himself like he’s 24-25 years old, and has already played 4-5 seasons against men. He’s creating scoring chances forechecking like a veteran.

I’m not convinced he’s not playing in the NHL this season. While I don’t think so, he’s coming over to camp, and he’s the type of player, who can play in the bottom six and work his way up the depth chart, developing in the NHL, not lower leagues, because he’s already physically ready, and does “think the game” at such a high level. Probably needs some time adjusting but his game is built for the NHL, playing in tight space.

Right now, it’s hard not to say he’s the steal of the 2024 draft. I had no clue he had this type of an offensive game and I watch a ton of these kids every year, and have access to evaluations most don’t. I knew he could physically play in the league right now, but like I said, the way he creates space for himself, and how quick he gets his shot off, Detroit looks like they’ve hit a lottery pick at 15th overall. I’m just trying to figure out if he’s Landeskog, Rantanen, or a combination of the two.

If he was a Finn or a Swede, good bet we would’ve seen more of him obviously, and we can assume his draft capital would’ve easily been in the Top 10. Probably higher. You simply can’t watch him play these last couple of weeks, and form any other opinion. He’s dominating professional men at 18. If you thought the spring was a fluke, you just can’t anymore.

He’s been really fun to watch since January. I’d wager we’re going to have a lot of teams kicking themselves for not taking him before 15th overall. He’s a much better prospect than Cole Eiserman as it currently stands. It’s not even up for debate. It’s laughable almost. No. It is laughable.

The crazy part is, I’m not sure anyone knows his ceiling yet, which does remind you of Rantanen.

It’s safe to say, if they had taken Eiserman, people would already be screaming they made the wrong pick. Justifiably so too, because Detroit was connected to MBN, probably more than any other team.

BTW, we’ve suddenly watched Detroit collect some Grade A offensive prospects over the last couple of years now, to go along with all those dmen and the two goaltender prospects they’ve been developing. Between Danielson, MBN, Kasper, Mazur, Buchelnikov, Becher and this Kiiskinen kid (only 18 still) from Finland (they traded for earlier this summer) who looked very much like a Top 6 NHL prospect a few weeks ago, plus several others still making names for themselves…. they’re gonna be a fun team to watch over the next decade. They have kids like Savage, Lombardi and Plante as well, developing into really solid players as well..

Fans have to still be patient obviously, as these kids are still very young, but there’s a whole lot to like, and they’ve done it without any lottery help, or players falling into their lap. To think the organization was completely empty of any talent 5-6 years ago, it’s crazy how far they’ve come. Especially with no lottery help.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I read the linked article about him after the draft. It is a well written, well collated over-all view of the player.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It’s funny to me people are quoting a clip of him shooting a one timer and saying SEE HE HAS UPSIDE. Everyone should have known he could do that already. That’s not where my questions are with him at all.

I’ll be curious to see if he can take another step with his puck skills and playmaking. Create more chances for him to use his shot and impact the game. Some of the folks at HP think he has that in him. If he does then we may have someone like Peterka on our hands.

But I have pretty modest expectations for him, that’s true. If he exceeds them, that will be awesome for all of us.

I would argue that having a complete game with "average skills" can be a better upside than the superbly skilled counting stat phenom. Lets look at the 2003 draft for example.

Who had more upside: Tomas Vanek with the best shot in the draft coming off a D-1 NCAA season putting up 60 points in 40 games or Patrice Bergeron coming off a point per game season in the Q?

Most would have said Vanek but when it was all said and done whose career actually had a higher upside? Id say Bergeron. That's my frustration with focusing on upside. It ignores things that are less quantifiable.

Let's look at this another way. Upside is also really subjective. From the same draft Columbus took Zherdev over Vanek,. Both were considered offensive dynamos and ostensibly Columbus took the player the believed had higher upside. Similarly Montreal took Koistitsyn over Carter, the Islanders took Robert Nilson over Parise. In all of these case different teams had different ideas about who had the higher upside.

And even from a game play perspective is the "flashy upside" actually the better player? You might project Benson to be a Marner and I might project Danielson to be a Kopitar. Id take Kopitar's career over Marner's even though Marner has the better counting stats and pure skill.

An ability to be a dominant two way player is too easily disregarded/overlooked when talking about upside. All of that to say, I feel strongly that complete/two way games get ignored when people talk about upside and that shouldn't be the case. This can be similar with physical players. Shane Doan probably had less "upside" than Petr Sykora but Id argue Doan had the better career.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sykora made 6 Cup Finals with 3 different teams. And IMO was no worse defensively than Doan. Doan was physical, but not defensively oriented.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would argue that having a complete game with above average "skills" can be a better upside than superbly skilled counting stat phenom. Lets look at the 2003 draft for example.

Who had more upside: Tomas Vanek with the best shot in the draft coming off a D-1 NCAA season putting up 60 points in 40 games or Patrice Bergeron coming off a point per game season in the Q?

Most would have said Vanek but when it was all said and down whose career actually had a higher upside? Id say Bergeron. That's my frustration with focusing on upside. It ignores things that are less quantifiable.

Let's look at this another way. Upside is also really subjective. From the same draft Columbus took Zherdev over Vanek,. Both were considered offensive dynamos and ostensibly Columbus took the player the believed had higher upside. Similarly Montreal took Koistitsyn over Carter, the Islanders took Robert Nilson over Parise. In all of these case different teams had different ideas about who had the higher upside.

And even from a game play perspective is the "flashy upside" actually the better player? You might project Benson to be a Marner and I might project Danielson to be a Kopitar. Id take Kopitar's career over Marner's even though Marner has the better counting stats and pure skill.

An ability to be a dominant two way player is too easily disregarded/overlooked when talking about upside. All of that to say, I feel strongly that complete/two way games get ignored when people talk about upside and that shouldn't be the case. This can be similar with physical players. Shane Doan probably had less "upside" than Petr Sykora but Id argue Doan had the better career.
Plenty of good points here.

I will also point out I never would have thought Larkin would become a 70 pt player, and here we are. You could have made an argument a couple other prospects we had were more skilled, but he passed all of them.

Ultimately we will have to see how things go from here. Another name I have thought about when it comes to MBN is Brandon Saad.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad