Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
The scouting reports being similar doesn't match the differences in their on ice performance.

I never saw Zadina truck dudes in the corner like MBN does in Sweden. Or break up passing lanes in the defensive zone. Or pick pockets in the neutral zone. Or shoot pucks through pro level goalies.

I for one am extremely excited to see how his SHL season pans out. It's a tough league and I think 20-25 points is really respectable for a rookie, but also wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass those totals.
I wonder if MBN and ASP end up on the same PP. I think MBN could wreak a lot of havoc along the boards and open lanes for ASP at the top since they really move the puck around quick. MBN's totals might get a nice boost on the PP

Reactions: Steve91

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
omg I got so busy I completely missed the draft. 200lbs as a 18 year old :O

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is why I never got people who questioned his offensive upside. His shot was always top 3 in the draft. Dude has been had a rocket. Tbh he was in my top 10, I was shocked he fell to 15.
You have to have more in your bag to have upside (offensively speaking). Otherwise Eiserman would have went a heck of a lot higher.

Samesies. I’m just waiting for @Frk It to tell me I was right about him.
The shot has always been encouraging. Just not sure about the other stuff. I think he was picked exactly where he should have been.

If you were right you wouldn’t have that avatar :)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
You have to have more in your bag to have upside (offensively speaking). Otherwise Eiserman would have went a heck of a lot higher.

The shot has always been encouraging. Just not sure about the other stuff. I think he was picked exactly where he should have been.

If you were right you wouldn’t have that avatar :)

I was wrong about him going before us because of some reaches.

I meant right that he’s a realgud prospect that is just what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: Henkka

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was wrong about him going before us because of some reaches.

I meant right that he’s a realgud prospect that is just what the doctor ordered.
It’s funny to me people are quoting a clip of him shooting a one timer and saying SEE HE HAS UPSIDE. Everyone should have known he could do that already. That’s not where my questions are with him at all.

I’ll be curious to see if he can take another step with his puck skills and playmaking. Create more chances for him to use his shot and impact the game. Some of the folks at HP think he has that in him. If he does then we may have someone like Peterka on our hands.

But I have pretty modest expectations for him, that’s true. If he exceeds them, that will be awesome for all of us.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Sometimes teams draft a guy and they hope they develop into a good player.

And sometimes a team drafts a guy and they feel they have drafted a star. I think the Red Wings' brass fully believe they have a star on their hands with MBN. I agree, this guy has some traits that could translate to elite abilities at the NHL level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Man, kid is looking like young Patrik Laine dominating as 18-year old.

Maybe this is our surprise pick who will exceed all expectations. Pastrnak-level guy who has power-forward mentality. :D

I think this pick is dedicated for all those crybabies on he "nucleus" -thread, who say that Red Wings are drafting only mediocrity and we are going to be the next Minnesota wild. ;)

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
It’s funny to me people are quoting a clip of him shooting a one timer and saying SEE HE HAS UPSIDE. Everyone should have known he could do that already. That’s not where my questions are with him at all.

I’ll be curious to see if he can take another step with his puck skills and playmaking. Create more chances for him to use his shot and impact the game. Some of the folks at HP think he has that in him. If he does then we may have someone like Peterka on our hands.

But I have pretty modest expectations for him, that’s true. If he exceeds them, that will be awesome for all of us.
He’s a much better prospect than peterka was at the same age.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sometimes teams draft a guy and they hope they develop into a good player.

And sometimes a team drafts a guy and they feel they have drafted a star. I think the Red Wings' brass fully believe they have a star on their hands with MBN. I agree, this guy has some traits that could translate to elite abilities at the NHL level.
What makes you say that?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
What makes you say that?
As was pointed out during the draft by others on these boards, the Wings wasted to time once they were on the clock at the draft, got up and went to the stage right away. Which isn't like the normal methodical, deliberate Yzerman.

Feels like they didn't want to even be bothered with a trade request, they were taking MBN no matter what.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is why I never got people who questioned his offensive upside. His shot was always top 3 in the draft. Dude has been had a rocket. Tbh he was in my top 10, I was shocked he fell to 15.

Norwegian juniors:
- 71 goals, 56 assists

Swedish juniors:
- 28 goals, 33 assists

International juniors:
- 21 goals, 13 assists

Swedish allsvenskan (men) :
- 9 goals, 12 assists

International (mens) games:
- 10 goals, 4 assists

Total:
- 139 goals, 118 assists