Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Plenty of good points here.

I will also point out I never would have thought Larkin would become a 70 pt player, and here we are. You could have made an argument a couple other prospects we had were more skilled, but he passed all of them.

Ultimately we will have to see how things go from here. Another name I have thought about when it comes to MBN is Brandon Saad.

To be fair, I think all teams should draft for "upside." I just think its important to recognize that different folks will see different levels of upside in different players and that some skills are unfairly ignored (or devalued) in the context of what "upside" really means.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Alright. Feel free to ignore the large point of Doan having a longer career and putting up more points over the fact that management couldn't build a good team around him.
So is potential career length the measuring stick for prospects? It's a weird tangent.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If I had to pick between Sykora and Doan, I'd take Doan - especially if I'm taking a guy to plug into this wings team. I think you're likely getting similar production from them (edge to Sykora) but I think Doan would help be a bigger spark on this team with his style of play.

And if Nygaard ends up like Doan, we should be thrilled.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So is potential career length the measuring stick for prospects? It's a weird tangent.
It's not a tangent. My entire point is ceiling is more than just the best single season a player has.

But hey, Ill play along. Sykora had 5 seasons better than doan to start their careers. They then had two seasons that were identical (literally within a point of each other) and then Doan rattled off 13 seasons that were better than Sykora's respective seasons. Not only did he have a lengthy career, most of his career he had a better season than sykora from a production standpoint and did so by playing a much grittier and more physical game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's not a tangent. My entire point is ceiling is more than just the best single season a player has.

But hey, Ill play along. Sykora had 5 seasons better than doan to start their careers. They then had two seasons that were identical (literally within a point of each other) and then Doan rattled off 13 seasons that were better than Sykora's respective seasons. Not only did he have a lengthy career, most of his career he had a better season than sykora from a production standpoint and did so by playing a much grittier and more physical game.
Um, that would an entirely new use of the term ceiling. It could be a tiny room, but the ceiling should be the greatest height a player hit.

When looking at prospects, the first 7-8 years is about all you should realistically count on. Free agency can mean any number of things. Sykora was the better player over the first 10 years of their careers. Doan gets the next ten. Good on him, but I'm not looking at prospects based on what I think they're going to be in their 30s.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Um, that would an entirely new use of the term ceiling. It could be a tiny room, but the ceiling should be the greatest height a player hit.

When looking at prospects, the first 7-8 years is about all you should realistically count on. Free agency can mean any number of things. Sykora was the better player over the first 10 years of their careers. Doan gets the next ten. Good on him, but I'm not looking at prospects based on what I think they're going to be in their 30s.

Give me Bergeron's ceiling over Marner's ceiling.

And sykora was better for 5 seasons not 10. That was explicitly mentioned in one of the posts you quoted.

Just straight up doubling a statistic is a pretty disingenuous way to approach this conversation.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Give me Bergeron's ceiling over Marner's ceiling.

And sykora was better for 5 seasons not 10. That was explicitly mentioned in one of the posts you quoted.

Just straight up doubling a statistic is a pretty disingenuous way to approach this conversation.
That's cool. Doan isn't Bergeron.

1724801027086.png

1724801056244.png

These are their first 10 seasons. If you take issues with my categorizing Sykora has having a better first 10 years... I don't know what to tell you. First 5 seasons Sykora is up 108 points. Next 5 years Doan is up 13 points. All 10 together Sykora is up 95 points. Neither is a plus defensive player. I'll take the extra hundred points.

We are dancing if any of our yet to make it kids turns out as good as Sykora.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
That's cool. Doan isn't Bergeron.

View attachment 903534
View attachment 903535

These are their first 10 seasons. If you take issues with my categorizing Sykora has having a better first 10 years... I don't know what to tell you. First 5 seasons Sykora is up 108 points. Next 5 years Doan is up 13 points. All 10 together Sykora is up 95 points. Neither is a plus defensive player. I'll take the extra hundred points.

We are dancing if any of our yet to make it kids turns out as good as Sykora.

Agree to disagree.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

But hey, Ill play along. Sykora had 5 seasons better than doan to start their careers.
They then had two seasons that were identical (literally within a point of each other) and then Doan rattled off 13 seasons that were better than Sykora's respective seasons. Not only did he have a lengthy career, most of his career he had a better season than sykora from a production standpoint and did so by playing a much grittier and more physical game.

what do you think ceiling even is? 5 years is already way more than what most people mean when they use that term

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
what do you think ceiling even is? 5 years is already way more than what most people mean when they use that term

I think my initial point got blurred in that specific comp and the conversation got a little side tracked.

The real point is things like physicality and defensive acumen are part of a players ceiling. Sykora/Doan may not have been the strongest example (I didn't realize/forgot that Sykora got some selke votes).

What I was trying to get at is, a guy who can put up 78 points, 200 hits and get selke votes has a higher ceiling than a guy who can put up 88 points, 20 hits and has a tendency to be disengaged defensively.

Ceiling is about your wholistic impact on the game and not just your skill level and counting stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
MBN said he also hit the post twice in today's game. He knows his boss is watching, will head for Detroit's training camp with the ambition of making the team. Why not? He's very mature for his age, has shown he has no problems playing against NHL players.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
MBN said he also hit the post twice in today's game. He knows his boss is watching, will head for Detroit's training camp with the ambition of making the team. Why not? He's very mature for his age, has shown he has no problems playing against NHL players.

think flat out making the team is unlikely, but I'd love to see him in GR to start..

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This guy is Ovechkin lite , playing hard physical game good reading, accurate shot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I was excited until I saw they were playing...JAPAN. C'mon.

I caught that, too.

What’s impressed me is the shooting technique and how he’s handling bad passes and flopping pucks, but is still able to get so much on his shots from bad angles. Great quick twitch reflexes, and that ability to get so much on a shot from outside of your wheelhouse is very difficult. I can see him potting 30+ one day.

Reactions: GoBoltz56 and izlez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad