OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Pennsbury High School prom is tomorrow night. Natasha Bedingfield has been announced as the entertainment. Not too shabby. The theme is Enchanted environments. The Mrs painted about around 10 of the murals this year.
My bro went to Pennsbury. Pretty good gig they got for a HS prom.

I think this is from my bro's prom..way better

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Pennsbury High School prom is tomorrow night. Natasha Bedingfield has been announced as the entertainment. Not too shabby. The theme is Enchanted environments. The Mrs painted about around 10 of the murals this year.
They always get some big name, former big name, performer. How do they do it?

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
They always get some big name, former big name, performer. How do they do it?

$$$$$$

Source: I work there.

They get paid, but it isn't usually their normal fee. There are various fundraisers throughout the year and then the tickets to Prom cover some of the cost as well. There is a committee of people who work on "finding" various prospects and then reach out to the representatives of the potential people in the price range. The process includes looking for people who are already in the area for some reason, which Natasha Bedingfield has a concert in Pittsburg tonight aka the day before. She is also getting the money for like a 20 minute set, so it isn't too bad of a gig if you can get it.

I've continually told them they should let me review their "final" list. One year was a rapper who "went off" with a bunch of things they told him not to say, so one of the assistant principals tried to get him to leave the stage which made for a great image. One year it was announced via the student run TV network as "Drake....Bell", which made a lot of people very made.

My graduation was one of the original "Big Name" performances that put it on the map, John Mayer. Came and played 3 songs. It was pretty awesome.
2845369389_3906f01b16_b.jpg

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I graduated in 81 and the "big name" was comic Pat Paulsen... meh. They had the decorations, but not big names yet. Worst was, the theme was "New York, NewYork." I have always hated NY, so this was bad. Date has issues too, so it was not the best for me at all. Still friends with her though. This was before the arrival parade where people make trailer floats. There are 2 flat beds in our hood being decorated tonight.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I graduated in 81 and the "big name" was comic Pat Paulsen... meh. They had the decorations, but not big names yet. Worst was, the theme was "New York, NewYork." I have always hated NY, so this was bad. Date has issues too, so it was not the best for me at all. Still friends with her though. This was before the arrival parade where people make trailer floats. There are 2 flat beds in our hood being decorated tonight.

I prefer the old "find the most interesting mode of transportation to come in" parade compared to the new age "decorate a flat bed trailer float thing" parade.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
$$$$$$

Source: I work there.

They get paid, but it isn't usually their normal fee. There are various fundraisers throughout the year and then the tickets to Prom cover some of the cost as well. There is a committee of people who work on "finding" various prospects and then reach out to the representatives of the potential people in the price range. The process includes looking for people who are already in the area for some reason, which Natasha Bedingfield has a concert in Pittsburg tonight aka the day before. She is also getting the money for like a 20 minute set, so it isn't too bad of a gig if you can get it.

I've continually told them they should let me review their "final" list. One year was a rapper who "went off" with a bunch of things they told him not to say, so one of the assistant principals tried to get him to leave the stage which made for a great image. One year it was announced via the student run TV network as "Drake....Bell", which made a lot of people very made.

My graduation was one of the original "Big Name" performances that put it on the map, John Mayer. Came and played 3 songs. It was pretty awesome.
2845369389_3906f01b16_b.jpg
And not a phone in sight, only disposable cameras

That's pretty sweet

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Since I have been back from the US for a few weeks now, and ofc most of the awesome people on here I have spent the last - f*** - almost 15 years speaking to, are from the US... my observations good and bad.

Albeit I only really spent time in Baltimore and New York.

Good:

Your portion sizes are INSANE. Most places we could order one main and a side and be full before we finished. And this is coming from someone who was used to knocking back 5000 calories a day for years. Actually made it cheaper than expected sometimes.

The Metrocard is incredible value and actually NYC seemed to have pretty great public transport. Manchester is more expensive to get around... even though probably 5x smaller aha. The inter-city busses were also incredibly cheap.

People are friendlier for sure, and less aggressive I think. I thought New York would be a bit "scarier" in some places but in almost a week there did not feel remotely unsafe once, even going to some areas that have more of a reputation. Manchester and London feel - to me - far scarier in terms of public transport etc. Baltimore was a bit "grittier", but I guess would have to go quite a few miles from the centre to get in real trouble.

I saw more "random acts of kindness" in 9 days than I do in a month in the UK.

Your convenience stores in general are very, very good.

Bad:

I actually did not like the service ahaha. It was way too overbearing in general. Though moreso in Baltimore, New York was more relaxed in that regard, like "f***, I just want to eat my food and have a drink, you dont need to come over and re-fill our water every 10 minutes or ask if we need anything... just leave me alone!"

You can really see the extreme poverty in some places, especially when driving through places. England for sure has it, so does Portugal... but you can just tell we have more "even" societies, and England is probably the worst in Europe for uneven society.

Your standard clothes shops kind of suck relative to ours. It is either "Grandad at the barbeque", "pay $1000 to look like you are a Paris fashion show reject" or "pay double what we do in Europe for sportswear"... as a TJ Maxx enthusiast in Europe for example your stores suck even though they are the original (mainly as they dont carry English/European smaller brands who make great clothes at affordable prices). Though tbf the second hand stores we went in were great.

Not being able to buy alcohol anywhere but a liquor store in Baltimore was very annoying.

Your train price are stupid. Even worse than England's which is saying something. Cheaper to fly between cities lmao.

Different:

The price ranges over the space of a couple of miles is INSANE.

We were in the Lower East Side and had some incredible Quesadilla's, Margarita's and beer... like 8 dollars for the quesadilla, and 5 dollars for a big beer, and 10 dollars I think for one of the best Margarita's I have ever had... that is cheaper than anywhere in the UK right now and most places even in Lisbon.

Then you go a few stations on the Metro and the areas dont seem any different... aaaand the prices are double.

Unexpected:

New York did not smell, was not really dirty and we only saw 1 rat aha. Most English towns are waaay worse. (and Berlin still has the title of smelliest town for me)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t know the alcohol rules in Maryland. But in Pennsylvania up until like the last decade or so you couldn’t buy beer or wine at the super market. Even now you can’t buy liquor altogether with your beer & wine. You have to go to a state store for liquor. It’s a pain in the ass if you’re getting stuff for like a party because you have to make two separate stops.

Opposed to New Jersey for example they don’t have state stores & beer distributors can sell liquor as well.

I actually liked when I was New York you could just stop a corner store & get a six pack of tall boys.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don’t know the alcohol rules in Maryland. But in Pennsylvania up until like the last decade or so you couldn’t buy beer or wine at the super market. Even now you can’t buy liquor altogether with your beer & wine. You have to go to a state store for liquor. It’s a pain in the ass if you’re getting stuff for like a party because you have to make two separate stops.

Opposed to New Jersey for example they don’t have state stores & beer distributors can sell liquor as well.

I actually liked when I was New York you could just stop a corner store & get a six pack of tall boys.

Yeh, everywhere here is like New York in that regard... it was very frustrating that I could not just buy a beer at say a 7-11 aha. As every shop in Europe you can, heck, some places have beer in vending machines.

Felt like a scavenger hunt to buy alcohol at times.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeh, everywhere here is like New York in that regard... it was very frustrating that I could not just buy a beer at say a 7-11 aha. As every shop in Europe you can, heck, some places have beer in vending machines.

Felt like a scavenger hunt to buy alcohol at times.

Yeah looking it up it appears Maryland is a liquor controlled state as well. So they’re more restrictive like Pennsylvania in that regard. New York isn’t.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Since I have been back from the US for a few weeks now, and ofc most of the awesome people on here I have spent the last - f*** - almost 15 years speaking to, are from the US... my observations good and bad.

Albeit I only really spent time in Baltimore and New York.

Good:

Your portion sizes are INSANE. Most places we could order one main and a side and be full before we finished. And this is coming from someone who was used to knocking back 5000 calories a day for years. Actually made it cheaper than expected sometimes.

The Metrocard is incredible value and actually NYC seemed to have pretty great public transport. Manchester is more expensive to get around... even though probably 5x smaller aha. The inter-city busses were also incredibly cheap.

People are friendlier for sure, and less aggressive I think. I thought New York would be a bit "scarier" in some places but in almost a week there did not feel remotely unsafe once, even going to some areas that have more of a reputation. Manchester and London feel - to me - far scarier in terms of public transport etc. Baltimore was a bit "grittier", but I guess would have to go quite a few miles from the centre to get in real trouble.

I saw more "random acts of kindness" in 9 days than I do in a month in the UK.

Your convenience stores in general are very, very good.

Bad:

I actually did not like the service ahaha. It was way too overbearing in general. Though moreso in Baltimore, New York was more relaxed in that regard, like "f***, I just want to eat my food and have a drink, you dont need to come over and re-fill our water every 10 minutes or ask if we need anything... just leave me alone!"

You can really see the extreme poverty in some places, especially when driving through places. England for sure has it, so does Portugal... but you can just tell we have more "even" societies, and England is probably the worst in Europe for uneven society.

Your standard clothes shops kind of suck relative to ours. It is either "Grandad at the barbeque", "pay $1000 to look like you are a Paris fashion show reject" or "pay double what we do in Europe for sportswear"... as a TJ Maxx enthusiast in Europe for example your stores suck even though they are the original (mainly as they dont carry English/European smaller brands who make great clothes at affordable prices). Though tbf the second hand stores we went in were great.

Not being able to buy alcohol anywhere but a liquor store in Baltimore was very annoying.

Your train price are stupid. Even worse than England's which is saying something. Cheaper to fly between cities lmao.

Different:

The price ranges over the space of a couple of miles is INSANE.

We were in the Lower East Side and had some incredible Quesadilla's, Margarita's and beer... like 8 dollars for the quesadilla, and 5 dollars for a big beer, and 10 dollars I think for one of the best Margarita's I have ever had... that is cheaper than anywhere in the UK right now and most places even in Lisbon.

Then you go a few stations on the Metro and the areas dont seem any different... aaaand the prices are double.

Unexpected:

New York did not smell, was not really dirty and we only saw 1 rat aha. Most English towns are waaay worse. (and Berlin still has the title of smelliest town for me)

Glad you had a good time!

I absolutely love taking the train and used it for weekly round trips between NYC and PHL for over a decade, but the only functional inter-city route in the US is the Northeast Corridor main strip from Boston to Washington DC. What I'm trying to get across is that you were on the only good strip and you still rightly priced it out and found it wanting.

There are also routes that exist for the scenery like the Pacific Surfliner up the California coast. But other than that and some weird corner cases, yes it's more expensive because most of the Northeast Corridor is carried by business travel. The corner cases are specific routes. For example, it saves me roughly 80% of the airfare price to take the train to Montreal from Philadelphia or NYC.

NYC not being dirty and the portion sizes were the things that always shocked European friends and coworkers making their first trip. It's kind of reassuring to see that hasn't changed. :laugh:

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I did a couple jobs in Baltimore some years back and didn't really mind the liquor store thing as I was used to it from PA. That's until I found out they were closed on Sunday. I found a loophole though via pizza shops that had takeout beer, albeit much more limited.

And yea, PA is still restrictive on liquor, but are slowly relaxing on beer and wine. You can even get both at some convenience stores, but it's rare in my area.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Apparently Spotify are raising prices again. Anyone have any experience switching from Spotify to Apple Music? Looks like Apple One offers apple tv+,arcade, music, in one package for 25 a month for Family Accounts. Im currently heading up to 19..99 a month for Family on spotify and already pay for Apple+ anyway...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad