OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1717689034984.jpeg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
RIP

My one grandfather was in the Army in the Pacific & somehow survived Okinawa. He was an orphan & I think like 19-20 years old at the time without a wife yet. So I guess he was a perfect profile for the US to throw into that meat grinder.

I don’t know if it was the regiment or division but he was in the same as that guy the movie Hacksaw Ridge was about.

Last edited:

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I was pretty much at the end of my six-year college undergrad tenure when LSMJ came on the scene. I have their CD, "Live at The Stone Balloon," somewhere. Y-NOT was a much bigger deal back then. I could bore you for hours about the music scene then (and there).

My older half brother was the one into them. Basically spent his 20s following those bands around the summer beach bar tour. I was in middle school at the time and picked a Love Seed song for my music project in 8th grade. The teacher was very confused as to why I knew them.

Apparently a bunch of those bands would all work together for housing. Essentially each one of them would rent a house for the summer, one in North Jersey, one in South Jersey, and one in Delaware. Then they would share. Whenever you had dates in the area you stayed in the closest house.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
My grandfather served during the Korean War, stationed in Germany. He HATED being associated with the military to his dying day. He would always say "I didn't serve, I took a vacation. Other people actually did the fighting" He didn't think he deserved any recognition. He was buried with military honors. He would have hated it. I'm glad I don't have the flag because I did I'm not sure I would display it.

For the record I think all vets deserve recognition and services (healthcare etc) when they get home. But Grandpop being so adamantly like that when people brought up his service has always stuck with me.

He was stationed with an MLB all sta r pitcher. He told me who it was and I forget his name. Everyone always wanted to be on his team when they played lol. It was a guy that was good for like a few seasons and great for one. Not a household name

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
My grandfather served during the Korean War, stationed in Germany. He HATED being associated with the military to his dying day. He would always say "I didn't serve, I took a vacation. Other people actually did the fighting" He didn't think he deserved any recognition. He was buried with military honors. He would have hated it. I'm glad I don't have the flag because I did I'm not sure I would display it.

For the record I think all vets deserve recognition and services (healthcare etc) when they get home. But Grandpop being so adamantly like that when people brought up his service has always stuck with me.

He was stationed with an MLB all sta r pitcher. He told me who it was and I forget his name. Everyone always wanted to be on his team when they played lol. It was a guy that was good for like a few seasons and great for one. Not a household name
My grandfather missed out on the fighting for WWII due to age - wasn’t old enough to serve until the very end of the war. He never talked about himself as a veteran, just told lots of funny stores about his experiences, and I never really thought of him as such.

He was also buried with military honors, which seemed odd. Afterwards, the army gents came up to the family to ask about where he fought. His sister laughed. “The only action John ever saw was on the baseball diamond.” Apparently he played a pretty good second base.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
My grandfather missed out on the fighting for WWII due to age - wasn’t old enough to serve until the very end of the war. He never talked about himself as a veteran, just told lots of funny stores about his experiences, and I never really thought of him as such.

He was also buried with military honors, which seemed odd. Afterwards, the army gents came up to the family to ask about where he fought. His sister laughed. “The only action John ever saw was on the baseball diamond.” Apparently he played a pretty good second base.
Exactly! I never thought of Grandpop as a veteran either.

I want to clarify the hypothetical that if I had his flag I wouldn't display it not out of some indignation or anything, just because I know he wouldn't want it displayed

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My one grandfather landed the day after D-Day and never told anyone. He refused to speak about his military time other than to say he was offered a slot at West Point afterwards and turned it down. I found some papers after he passed that detailed some of his military time. It turns out he was a cryptographer too. I guess it’s genetic. He’s the one who taught me to love puzzles.

My other grandfather was on a few ships in the Atlantic, Arctic, and Pacific during the war, including multiple years on a cruiser that was one of the shore bombardment vessels at Okinawa and Iwo Jima. A couple of years ago, I managed to snag some of the stuff from the Captain’s desk of that main ship in an estate sale for my Dad. He also wouldn’t talk about it.

SABR being the amazing resource that they are means they have a database of Korean War Vets if you ever wanted to try to find it again. The player links go to their SABR bios and often have obituaries an extra click away.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Both of my grandfathers served, but neither saw action as far as I know. I think my dad's dad was an electrical engineer, and my mom's dad I'm not sure. I would guess he worked in shipyards considering mesothelioma was what ended his life prematurely. When my grandmom passed a few years ago the Navy came to the funeral for the flag ceremony. Not sure exactly why, although she was buried next to him.

That generation really was the greatest. I know every generation thinks the younger ones are softer, but I don't know how you can argue against that one. Many were kids during the depression and then went through those wars. You can't tell me those people weren't built differently from people nowadays, myself included. Every generation since owes them a ton of gratitude.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
i just went down a rabbit hole on shopping cart theory lol
I used to push carts for Costco, and the amount of bad behavior people exhibit in that parking lot is mind-blowing, even as a long time service industry employee. I think my favorite 'type' of person were the idiots who would see me already pushing a row of 10-12 carts, say "can ya take one more?" then just yeet the cart at me without waiting for an answer.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i'm on the hunt to find The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King’s Castle so I can watch it

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
My older half brother was the one into them. Basically spent his 20s following those bands around the summer beach bar tour. I was in middle school at the time and picked a Love Seed song for my music project in 8th grade. The teacher was very confused as to why I knew them.

Apparently a bunch of those bands would all work together for housing. Essentially each one of them would rent a house for the summer, one in North Jersey, one in South Jersey, and one in Delaware. Then they would share. Whenever you had dates in the area you stayed in the closest house.
LSMJ, Steamroller, The Loop, The Nerds, The Interns, DCMF, and the Rockets.... dear god what a scene. Along with Secret Service.

The one singer from the Rockets now does a U2 Tribute band.

Reactions: Superman33

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I used to push carts for Costco, and the amount of bad behavior people exhibit in that parking lot is mind-blowing, even as a long time service industry employee. I think my favorite 'type' of person were the idiots who would see me already pushing a row of 10-12 carts, say "can ya take one more?" then just yeet the cart at me without waiting for an answer.
If someone got a long ass line of carts I would never even approach them, I just put it in the cart station thingy. If they give me a wave like it's cool then I speed walk my ass over to get it to them. People are terrible with carts smh.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In the case of WWII, you won't see men and women like that fight Fascism ....instead we have new generations that have no clue what it truly is/means let alone any idea how to challenge and fight it...

The intentional dumbing down of American through the underfunding of education systems has had the exact effect politicians were looking for.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The intentional dumbing down of American through the underfunding of education systems has had the exact effect politicians were looking for.
Yes, but also the financial oligarchy and foreign lobbyists with their domestic donor class. That is the politicians constituency. They butter their bread and ultimately co-opt them. Sad state of affairs...

Reactions: Flybynite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad