OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Ok... I can kinda see hacking Hulk Hogan and pushing a $HULK cyrpto coin... why the hell would someone think hacking BUSTER OLNEY would have the kind of attention and interest of people to jump on board a $BUSTER crypto-coin? lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
4th of July will never be the same...

Eight_men_banned.png

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice to have a friend in Gayle King divulge your (Oprah Winfrey) graphic toilet misfortunes possibly attributed to Ozempic..

"She had some kind of stomach thing... stomach flu. Stuff was coming out of both ends. I won't get too graphic. Needless to say, she ended up in the hospital, dehydration, had to get an IV; it was a very serious thing."

• Wow
Reactions: BernieParent

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Nice to have a friend in Gayle King divulge your (Oprah Winfrey) graphic toilet misfortunes possibly attributed to Ozempic..

"She had some kind of stomach thing... stomach flu. Stuff was coming out of both ends. I won't get too graphic. Needless to say, she ended up in the hospital, dehydration, had to get an IV; it was a very serious thing."
I had a friend tell me they are taking it. I was like find something else.

Reactions: Embiid

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I lost 15 pounds on Saxenda, but it went out of stock and i didnt have it in stock for like 2 months...then when it finally got back in stock they wanted another prior auth sent in and they denied it because i wasn't getting results....even though i lost 15 pounds and then it went out of stock so i couldnt get it.

Trying to get back on it but my doctor is a nurse practitioner who doesnt give a f***

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004

I love my peloton, I've got 2,700 work outs on it. They seem to keep popping up as a business thats in trouble and it is frustrating. The issue is that they blew up so big in the pandemic and now are having trouble accepting that they arent gonna be a trillion dollar business.

If they arent happy with growing slowly and mantaining what they have, they just need to sell to Apple.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I love my peloton, I've got 2,700 work outs on it. They seem to keep popping up as a business thats in trouble and it is frustrating. The issue is that they blew up so big in the pandemic and now are having trouble accepting that they arent gonna be a trillion dollar business.

If they arent happy with growing slowly and mantaining what they have, they just need to sell to Apple.
First of all, apologies in advance if I in any offend anyone or come off as some kind of evangelical or purist. And I don’t work for any of these companies. There, that’s done.

I’ve never used a Peloton but my impression is that they are basically the same as the exercise bikes that have been in gyms forever, but with a computer/screen with proprietary software. You do their classes for your workout.

Now, if that works for you then that’s great. And I mean that. I think a lot of their success to date is more marketing than anything though. There are alternatives that may work better for some people. Next confession, I’ve been into cycling since the ‘70s. Before anyone ever heard of Greg Lemond even. In my younger days I used to put in 200+ miles a week.

If you have a road bike, or any bike for that matter, you can get a smart trainer like this one: KICKR CORE mit Zwift-Mitgliedschaft für 1 Jahr

This particular offer includes a free 1 year membership to Zwift. Zwift is basically a massively multiplayer onlinecomputer “game”. In this case though, the bike+smart trainer is your input device, rather than a mouse/keyboard/controller/whatever.

Without an offer like this I think Zwift is about $20/month (I love it so much I don’t bother to pay attention when the price goes up). They have group rides, training programs, even races (they do not have some hottie in tights yelling at you though). The more you ride, the more swag you get. You level up like a computer game, I’m at level 68 now, out of 100.

There are other software programs that work with smart trainers that offer similar functionality I just mention Zwift because it’s what I use and is probably the most popular. There are a number of companies that make smart trainers, and there are a few that make “smart bikes”. With these you don’t use your “real” bike, the smart bike is more like a Peloton only “better” (and more expensive I think). They’re basically designed to reproduce the experience of a real bike, fully customizable for sizing, shifting, you can replace the pedals, handlebars, and saddle with alternatives that you happen to prefer.

I’m not really trying to convert anyone here, but every time I see a Peloton ad I get a little pissed off because you would think there are no alternatives. There are. If you’re into spinning, take some time to look into smart trainers and the various software out there that you can use. You might find something that works better for you.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you have a road bike, or any bike for that matter, you can get a smart trainer like this one: https://www.wahoofitness.com/device...ZvkmurQ9SkxvA03UpNy4zPluAd3ClWs8aAqgMEALw_wcB

You mentioned before you had a setup, so I’ve been meaning to ask you if there was one of these types of things you like in particular. Is this the one or just an example?

I want to get into it, but it’s a nightmare to try to ride around here from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It’s just too crowded and people don’t pay attention.

Reactions: trostol

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You mentioned before you had a setup, so I’ve been meaning to ask you if there was one of these types of things you like in particular. Is this the one or just an example?

I want to get into it, but it’s a nightmare to try to ride around here from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It’s just too crowded and people don’t pay attention.
Well, I really only can comment on what I’ve used. There are a number of options, ranging from low-tech ($) to high-tech ($$$). For example if you already have a bike and an old wheel-on “dumb trainer” all you need is a speed sensor with bluetooth that you put on the rear wheel to use Zwift (Zwift is the only software I’ve used, there are some others that look interesting but I haven’t bothered to check them out).

I love my Wahoo. So much so that I have two of them. I have the Kickr bike (smart bike) and a regular Kickr (smart trainer). I probably like the bike better because you can configure it to fit exactly how you want, and you can configure the gearing. But I also like riding my “real” bike with the trainer because the feel is, well, exactly like riding a real bike. Meaning the shifting in particular. Zwift has climbs, like REAL climbs (they’ve virtualized Alpe d’Huez and Mont Ventoux for example) and you can’t really shift easily when your putting a lot of force into the pedals on a steep climb. So with the real bike + trainer you have to think about that. With the smart bike it’s all computer magic and you can shift whenever wherever you want.

Which is to say that’s kind of just me being a cycling geek. An easier answer might be, if you don’t have a bike you feel comfortable spending a lot of time on, look into a smart bike. If you have a nice road (or other) bike then maybe go for the trainer. You can’t go wrong with Wahoo, they’re one of the (if not THE) oldest and they seem to be the most popular. But there are lots of reviews out there for both trainers and software. Depending on your own preferences some might appeal to you more than others.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
For me, I do more then Bike, I do a lot of strength classes, I have a Concept 2 Rowing Machine, I log outdoor walks, meditations, etc...So the benefit of Peloton having all that content is cool...a lot of other companies offer the same but the secret sauce with Peloton is the trainers themselves. Now you can buy just the app for like 10 bucks a month and dont need the equipment...but since i have the equipment already its fine

Like that article mentions, a lot of the trainers have dedicated followings. I personally do a lot of classes by Dennis Morton, Alex Toussant, Ben Aldis, and Kendall Toole (Who is leaving Peloton). The content itself is what really keeps people coming back, not just the equipment.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
For me, I do more then Bike, I do a lot of strength classes, I have a Concept 2 Rowing Machine, I log outdoor walks, meditations, etc...So the benefit of Peloton having all that content is cool...a lot of other companies offer the same but the secret sauce with Peloton is the trainers themselves. Now you can buy just the app for like 10 bucks a month and dont need the equipment...but since i have the equipment already its fine

Like that article mentions, a lot of the trainers have dedicated followings. I personally do a lot of classes by Dennis Morton, Alex Toussant, Ben Aldis, and Kendall Toole (Who is leaving Peloton). The content itself is what really keeps people coming back, not just the equipment.
I used to have a Concept 2 rowing machine too, but it ended up hurting my back so I replaced it with a treadmill and a weight machine. I think I was using proper technique from watching various rowing videos but I’ve always had back issues and I think rowing is just not the sport for me. I think it’s very cool though and is always one of the sports I watch during the Olympics.

Reactions: Danko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad