Salary Cap: 11 guys signed next year at $65.5M CAP - $16M left for 12 guys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
it wasn't bettman at all who said this. The NHL players have a 5% inflator they can use any time and the NHL has no say at all.

They can use it as you say, but I believe they did not use it last year. And the players do not like escrow. I think both of those statements are true.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The question is why wouldn't the players use the cap inflator?

seems so weird to me that they would choose to earn less for some reason.
It is not about gross income it is about net in your wallet income. The players went from 15% to 12% escrow holdback. and got back like 2.5% of holdback last year to net 9.5% take home decrease from contract values. So now it is about negotiating the escrow holdback next year down to like 9-10% and hopefully seeing same 2.5% payback to net a 7-7.5% reduction of the contract value (which is where things are at with a 0-0.5% escalator). With 3 years left on CBA hopefully we can get escrow holdback down to very very small % so contract values line up with CAP. No one likes getting 10% of their contracted pay taken away from them. Hopefully Bettman and Fehr can finalize some minor changes to CBA so both CAP can go up and escrow holdbacks can go down. That is best of all worlds.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They can use it as you say, but I believe they did not use it last year. And the players do not like escrow. I think both of those statements are true.
They used it at 0.5% to get escrow holdback to drop from 15% to 12%. It is a huge math equation apparently. But executive committee votes on this stuff after Fehr explains it to everyone.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Nylander, Marner, and to a lesser extent Matthews (who commanded big money, but didn't hold out) all need to see this. As does any upcoming RFA who thinks he deserves a fat payday. Here's a guy who is arguably right now one of the top 5 players in the league, who isn't thinking totally about his own circumstance (ie his wallet) when it comes contract time. He is TEAM first...logo on the front, not name on the back. He wants to win...first and foremost...and he's putting his money where his mouth is. And he is playing like it.

I want guys like that on this team. But I fear the train may already left the station. Ovi's shaming, and now this, really points up what I didn't want to believe...we're not going to win anything with this group as currently constituted. Someone has to go...maybe more than one. I'm not saying throw in the towel and start from scratch. But look what the Raptors did. More than once, Masai identified a weakness (Rudy Gay, Derozan) then took advantage of a situation and found players who gave a **** (Lowry, Kawhi, Danny Green, Gasol), to create a championship team. Granted, the NHL isn't the NBA. The hard cap makes it way more difficult to pull off those kinds of deals. But Dubas needs to take a lesson from Masai. There are still stupid GM's out there. We need to mesmerize some sucker with some of our shiny, hollow toys and then rob them blind.

Mackinnon is so full of shit. He took the max money he could get - Monahan was his comparable at they took the same contract. He didn't take less, he was heavily outperformed by Matthews, Marner and Nylander in their ELC's & RFA contracts overall have skyrocketed

Reactions: TopCheese

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is not about gross income it is about net in your wallet income. The players went from 15% to 12% escrow holdback. and got back like 2.5% of holdback last year to net 9.5% take home decrease from contract values. So now it is about negotiating the escrow holdback next year down to like 9-10% and hopefully seeing same 2.5% payback to net a 7-7.5% reduction of the contract value (which is where things are at with a 0-0.5% escalator). With 3 years left on CBA hopefully we can get escrow holdback down to very very small % so contract values line up with CAP. No one likes getting 10% of their contracted pay taken away from them. Hopefully Bettman and Fehr can finalize some minor changes to CBA so both CAP can go up and escrow holdbacks can go down. That is best of all worlds.

but this doesn't even make sense.

you need escrow to make a cap work.

and if they are purposely taking less money now in order to try to negotiate away the escrow on the next deal, then they are just stupid.

but that's not surprising from the NHLPA. their negotiating stances have never, ever made any sense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
but this doesn't even make sense.

you need escrow to make a cap work.

and if they are purposely taking less money now in order to try to negotiate away the escrow on the next deal, then they are just stupid.

but that's not surprising from the NHLPA. their negotiating stances have never, ever made any sense.
Well you see it that way but I see it as GREEEDDYYYYY owners stealing 9.5% of players money. Which by the way the kids can never get back. It is gone forever as the owners keep it. So imagine most of kids making 1M AAV contracts but getting really $900,000. Now if that kid gets 1.05M next year with 5% CAP increase escalator but his escrow holdback goes back up to 15% so he nets $892,500. Guess why the players voted unanimous to not use it. It is complicated math but it makes NO sense for the players to use it. and it is so damn hard to make the league to begin with. Players have had enough.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They used it at 0.5% to get escrow holdback to drop from 15% to 12%. It is a huge math equation apparently. But executive committee votes on this stuff after Fehr explains it to everyone.

OK thanks. Maybe they do the same thing this year, or don't use the escalator at all? I've heard the players hate the escrow.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well you see it that way but I see it as GREEEDDYYYYY owners stealing 9.5% of players money. Which by the way the kids can never get back. It is gone forever as the owners keep it. So imagine most of kids making 1M AAV contracts but getting really $900,000. Now if that kid gets 1.05M next year with 5% CAP increase escalator but his escrow holdback goes back up to 15% so he nets $892,500. Guess why the players voted unanimous to not use it. It is complicated math but it makes NO sense for the players to use it. and it is so damn hard to make the league to begin with. Players have had enough.

but it doesn't make sense. the players get their 50-odd percent no matter which way you do it. Escrow doesn't lower the money the players get. the only other way to do it would be to lower the cap ceilings to make sure that the total percentage doesn't go over in the first place, but that ends up being worse for everyone.

and not using the cap inflator DOES lower the money they get....which is hilarious.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
but it doesn't make sense. the players get their 50-odd percent no matter which way you do it. Escrow doesn't lower the money the players get. the only other way to do it would be to lower the cap ceilings to make sure that the total percentage doesn't go over in the first place, but that ends up being worse for everyone.

and not using the cap inflator DOES lower the money they get....which is hilarious.

No, it removes/ stops growing the variance between the cap and 50% of HRR to bring the nominal value of their contracts and what they will actually get paid back into alignment.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Not true ... it is a very complicated math equation where the players hire an outside actuary firm to figure out what is in the best interest of most players from a net income perspective. Fehr is genius level smart. Much brighter than Bettman. No commish or owner is tricking players anymore. Those days are done. Again hopefully the CBA can be tweaked again to allow for a fairer disbursement of contract monies owed.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Who knows where it got leaked out but typical Bettman when asked he went totally quiet. For a guy with a lot to say it is telling. But I had heard this for some time now. Everything will come out clear as mud. People thinking CAP going up big next 2 years are sadly mistaken.

its not up to Bettman. The cap is automatic in relation to Hockey Related Revenues. Once all the numbers are tallied the cap is set. But the players have an option to use a 5% inflator which no one else has control of.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

they didn't use it because hockey related revenues didn't go up or was not expected to go up. Next season is different. Seattle, MGM Gambling money, new TV deal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
its not up to Bettman. The cap is automatic in relation to Hockey Related Revenues. Once all the numbers are tallied the cap is set. But the players have an option to use a 5% inflator which no one else has control of.
That is a much different issue. But the players don't agree on what constitutes HRR either. There are so many things which the players believe are HRR which owners don't put it the box. It is another subject though which will hopefully get negotiated in the next CBA or maybe it will lead to another lockout. Who knows? But to say it is automatic is far from the truth.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
they didn't use it because hockey related revenues didn't go up or was not expected to go up. Next season is different. Seattle, MGM Gambling money, new TV deal.

Isn't the new TV deal 2 years out?

And, I have to wonder how much the Seattle expansion would really drive up revenues. Maybe it will be 3% or even a little less if they contribute about the league average. The expansion fee goes to the owners pockets and is not included as HRR. VGK was the perfect storm. They went all the way to the Cup finals.

I guess every bit helps though.

Jun 27, 2005

No. You contradict yourself in the same post. It's 50 percent. Period.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Seattle $$ goes to owners directly (it is not part of CBA). Gambling $$ only gets in once league gets its contract finalized with it approved partner and then NHLPA has time to vote . Where is that at????????? And new TV deal really you continue to drink that koool aid. But even if you do it has no impact on this season or next season HRR. Earliest it would kick in is 2021/22 season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Again. Friedman has reported that the cap looks like 84-85 million. He said that because the actual amount paid out next year is so low due to the feared lockout. Escrow is likely to be really small. He even reported that the cap COULD go up to 88 million. But that’s really unlikely.

given 84.5. Here is a cap that would leave
Exactly 500 k with Petro in it.
9521132E-01EB-49D3-92D4-BEBC945D7B09.png

Obviously dusak is a place holder. Anderson is an idea. We could put in smith or retained Campbell etc. Mango could be traded for our first back if it’s not too high

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Again. Friedman has reported that the cap looks like 84-85 million. He said that because the actual amount paid out next year is so low due to the feared lockout. Escrow is likely to be really small. He even reported that the cap COULD go up to 88 million. But that’s really unlikely.

given 84.5. Here is a cap that would leave
Exactly 500 k with Petro in it. View attachment 293041

Obviously dusak is a place holder. Anderson is an idea. We could put in smith or retained Campbell etc. Mango could be traded for our first back if it’s not too high

I like it.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Seattle $$ goes to owners directly (it is not part of CBA). Gambling $$ only gets in once league gets its contract finalized with it approved partner and then NHLPA has time to vote . Where is that at????????? And new TV deal really you continue to drink that koool aid. But even if you do it has no impact on this season or next season HRR. Earliest it would kick in is 2021/22 season.

if your current tv deal is 2B and you sign a new one for 3.1B, you dont think that moves the needle at all?

"The NHL’s current deal with NBC that was signed in 2011 will run it’s course following this upcoming season and should set the NHL up for a huge payday. Under the current deal, NBC paid the NHL $200 million annually or $2 billion over the ten-year term.

That success followed them into the Stanley Cup Playoffs when the Boston Bruins Game 7 against the St.Louis Blues delivered the most-watched NHL game on record – averaging 9 million viewers. On top of that, the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs were the highest-rated NHL postseason in 23 years. And the success isn’t just in the ratings for the league with attendance in the regular season being plus-0.05% from 2017-18.

Since the NHL signed its current deal with NBC back in 2011, their annual revenue has risen from just over $3 billion to $4.8 billion last season. That increase of 60% shows how far the league has come since it’s previous broadcast rights negotiation."

EPL TV deal went from $83M per season to $166M per season. MLB from $525M per season to $728M per season. Even the MLS soccer tv deal saw an increase.

Oh ya....and Forbes wrote THIS (Jan15,2019 - Hockey's Big Payday is Coming)

BUT I'M JUST DRINKING THE COOLAIDE RIGHT? lol

Reactions: Dekes For Days

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
if your current tv deal is 2B and you sign a new one for 3.1B, you dont think that moves the needle at all?

"The NHL’s current deal with NBC that was signed in 2011 will run it’s course following this upcoming season and should set the NHL up for a huge payday. Under the current deal, NBC paid the NHL $200 million annually or $2 billion over the ten-year term.

That success followed them into the Stanley Cup Playoffs when the Boston Bruins Game 7 against the St.Louis Blues delivered the most-watched NHL game on record – averaging 9 million viewers. On top of that, the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs were the highest-rated NHL postseason in 23 years. And the success isn’t just in the ratings for the league with attendance in the regular season being plus-0.05% from 2017-18.

Since the NHL signed its current deal with NBC back in 2011, their annual revenue has risen from just over $3 billion to $4.8 billion last season. That increase of 60% shows how far the league has come since it’s previous broadcast rights negotiation."

EPL TV deal went from $83M per season to $166M per season. MLB from $525M per season to $728M per season. Even the MLS soccer tv deal saw an increase.

I have heard Bettman pound his chest for many many many years about the great deal for US TV rights ... bottom line it has been 25+years and counting ... it is why most of us mid to older aged folks on here do not trust a thing he says ... I will believe it when i see it .. Sporstnet's playoff numbers last playoffs were the worst they ever had ... they machine gunned through almost a third of their staff fro that disaster ... Bettman is great for taking Canadians up the arse

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

You are making some massive assumptions here on US TV deal. But like I said the earliest any HRR impact could occur is after the 2021 season. So even in a best case scenario it is ZERO impact on next season. And there is NO gambling deal at this point in time. So again it is extremely likely there is ZERO impact on next season. Now wrt to Seattle again many people making some huge assumptions. And again there will be ZERO impact on next season either way. They don't start til following year. and if you are relying on info from Friedman a Western uni dropout well I fear for you. That guy gets fed info and he has no idea on anything one way or the other. When Bettman was asked about his earlier 84M CAP guess he went QUIET. He has never before done that after the BOD mtg. This from a guy who is the ultimate promoter like his promised massive US TV deal after 5 years in league. We are still waiting .....

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I have heard Bettman pound his chest for many many many years about the great deal for US TV rights ... bottom line it has been 25+years and counting ... it is why most of us mid to older aged folks on here do not trust a thing he says ... I will believe it when i see it .. Sporstnet's playoff numbers last playoffs were the worst they ever had ... they machine gunned through almost a third of their staff fro that disaster ... Bettman is great for taking Canadians up the arse

NONE of the info I provided came from the NHL or Bettman. No one is pounding their chest. Stop putting words in other people's mouths or making things up. All of the info I provided is from a FORBES article.

TV in general is scared of streaming services and therefor they are paying BIG money for sports on TV. It's that simple.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I have stopped giving a ****. If we manage to preserve our health and wake up - the Maple Leafs will be here. Go with the flow and try to enjoy life!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's hilarious that the canadian hockey media did such a great job of propaganda for so many years that people actually don't realize that bettman saved the league and that it's thriving more than it ever expected to. Even if all you are about is smalltown canadiana, bettman is still the only reason there are nhl teams in edmonton, winnipeg, and ottawa.

Hell, it's the media's fault there were any lockouts at all. The NHLPA's positions were ridiculously stupid in every instance.

It's just insane that even now all this years later, people are STILL trying to predict doom for Bettman's nhl, despite it's amazing success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad