Salary Cap: 11 guys signed next year at $65.5M CAP - $16M left for 12 guys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
No. I will stay away for the same kind of reasons that you stated.

Plus I might get mugged if the Leafs win and I might get mugged if the Leafs lose.:thumbu:
Sorry can’t remember if we chatted before as there’s some of us on this site that are transplanted easterners here in Bc
I’m from sunny Tssawassen ,
Where you at ?
Again my apologies if we’ve discussed this previously brotha

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Quotes like this make you think, what if huh?
https://www.tsn.ca/colorado-avalanche-c-nathan-mackinnon-no-regrets-over-6-3-million-aav-1.1408567

Despite owning just the 82nd highest salary in the league and having been passed on his on team's payroll by Mikko Rantanen ($9.25 million AAV) this summer, MacKinnon said he'd be prepared to leave money on the table once again in 2023.“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

I can't help but wonder how many of our stars can honestly say the same thing... the whole reason why we're in a cap hell right now with no way to bring a decent backup is because none of them took a discount. The last time I can recall it happening was maybe Connor Brown's contract after his 20-goal season. Dubas has a whole lot of answering to do for mangling this, but greed is what is ruining this team. You can argue Tampa got every single one of their stars to take a bit less, can we say that about our Leafs? I don't think so.

we were Babcock blocked

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Sorry can’t remember if we chatted before as there’s some of us on this site that are transplanted easterners here in Bc
I’m from sunny Tssawassen ,
Where you at ?
Again my apologies if we’ve discussed this previously brotha

Lived in Bramalea years ago and moved to Vancouver for over 20 years.

Kamloops, and now living in Penticton.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
No
I actually don’t like going to the games , can’t stand the Canuck fans and Media lol
I like watching on the tube better at home
Our 10 year old daughter is going with her mom as usual as she’s a huge Leaf fan ( Marner and Fred ) fan of course .
Also after the Gardens , no building compares to that greatest of great hockey barns
I used to love going to the games when i lived there ....
Are you going ?
I’ll be at the game. Kind of regret buying the ticket. I thought the team would at least be a playoff team. My nosebleed seats cost like $200. My Caucks fan friend is going to be so annoyed at me getting drunk and ranting about unprecedented dramatic overpayments.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why does anyone care about the cap for next year when it's only November? We're trending in the right direction on the ice. We have a team that can compete with anyone in the league. So why worry about the cap situation for next year?

But to play along, I'll just say this. In the off season everyone said we were in cap hell. We didn't have enough to even fill out a roster, let alone make any improvements. Several trades later and we not only filled out our roster, but we improved our roster (at least I believe so) from last year.

Dubas and others get paid a lot of money to make the cap situation work. They will figure it out. Who gets traded is obviously unknown at this time. Wouldn't even surprise me if there were some moves made this season once Keefe has a better idea of what we need. But Dubas will make it work somehow

6–13 record vs teams in a playoff position suggests otherwise.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011

Nylander, Marner, and to a lesser extent Matthews (who commanded big money, but didn't hold out) all need to see this. As does any upcoming RFA who thinks he deserves a fat payday. Here's a guy who is arguably right now one of the top 5 players in the league, who isn't thinking totally about his own circumstance (ie his wallet) when it comes contract time. He is TEAM first...logo on the front, not name on the back. He wants to win...first and foremost...and he's putting his money where his mouth is. And he is playing like it.

I want guys like that on this team. But I fear the train may already left the station. Ovi's shaming, and now this, really points up what I didn't want to believe...we're not going to win anything with this group as currently constituted. Someone has to go...maybe more than one. I'm not saying throw in the towel and start from scratch. But look what the Raptors did. More than once, Masai identified a weakness (Rudy Gay, Derozan) then took advantage of a situation and found players who gave a shit (Lowry, Kawhi, Danny Green, Gasol), to create a championship team. Granted, the NHL isn't the NBA. The hard cap makes it way more difficult to pull off those kinds of deals. But Dubas needs to take a lesson from Masai. There are still stupid GM's out there. We need to mesmerize some sucker with some of our shiny, hollow toys and then rob them blind.

Reactions: hector morrison

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I’ll be at the game. Kind of regret buying the ticket. I thought the team would at least be a playoff team. My nosebleed seats cost like $200. My Caucks fan friend is going to be so annoyed at me getting drunk and ranting about unprecedented dramatic overpayments.

The Canucks are very entertaining this year. Just love their PP.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Lived in Bramalea years ago and moved to Vancouver for over 20 years.

Kamloops, and now living in Penticton.
Cool
Man I remember Bramalea
A companies head office , I worked for was situated there and I used to go there often .
I cane to BC in 83 to watch the Grey cup ( my Arggggggooooos won vs the Lions
Huge crowd 60k plus
I was staying for Grey Cup week in Kits ( Beach area ahhhh ) and fell in love with Vancouver instantly , do I called everyone in The Hammer and Ontario I knew , and said FU lol I’m staying here and have been here ever since ..
Been all over this amazing Province love where you are brotha , beautiful man , been there lots of times all over , many Ball hockey tournaments and concerts ...
Great area there !
So now I’ve been in BC longer than I was in Ontario lol 60 plus on this planet and 40 in bc
If your ever over our area
Toss me a vine and we can hook up
Cheers
GLG

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
To funny brotha
My drinking days are way behind me , I now and continue to enjoy the fine art of Bc Haze ...

Reactions: SAMCRO44

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Cool
Man I remember Bramalea
A companies head office , I worked for was situated there and I used to go there often .
I cane to BC in 83 to watch the Grey cup ( my Arggggggooooos won vs the Lions
Huge crowd 60k plus
I was staying for Grey Cup week in Kits ( Beach area ahhhh ) and fell in love with Vancouver instantly , do I called everyone in The Hammer and Ontario I knew , and said FU lol I’m staying here and have been here ever since ..
Been all over this amazing Province love where you are brotha , beautiful man , been there lots of times all over , many Ball hockey tournaments and concerts ...
Great area there !
So now I’ve been in BC longer than I was in Ontario lol 60 plus on this planet and 40 in bc
If your ever over our area
Toss me a vine and we can hook up
Cheers
GLG

If I ever come down there again.:)

Used to love going to all the nice fancy restaurants back in the day.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Mikheyev Tavares Marner
Kreider Matthews Nylander
Korshkov Hyman Kapanen
Engvall Gauthier ______
_________

Rielly __________
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin Holl
_________

Andersen

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think Barrie, Ceci or Muzzin will be back. Dubas has his work cut out for him
I can see atrade at the deadline for a d-man - Kap going the other way

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
How’d you like the game?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Cap should go up to 84ish, which will get us to at least 19.5M in space. We'll likely trade Johnsson, so 23M space for 14 players...

Sign Mikheyev 4x3.5M
Sign Ceci 4x4M

Sign Dermott 2x2M
Sign Engvall 2x0.8M
Sign Timashov 2x0.8M
Sign Guathier 2x1M

Zaitsev all over again.

LOL who on earth would give Ceci 4 years at 4M? he's Marincin 2.0.

Mikhayev is okay but BIG NO to overpaying a player at that many years and dollars who is still relatively unknown.

Both of these deals are Zaitsev all over again.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Zaitsev all over again.

LOL who on earth would give Ceci 4 years at 4M? he's Marincin 2.0.

Mikhayev is okay but BIG NO to overpaying a player at that many years and dollars who is still relatively unknown.

Both of these deals are Zaitsev all over again.
Dermy, Holl and Mik get resigned. Let's hope all 3 in bridge deals under 2M per. Ceci and Barrie get traded for picks as both make too much for their performance. Muzzy I would only give him the minimum raise for max 3 years (maybe 2) and if he elects UFA so be it but what he brings we would need to replace.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen has stopped developing. he has stopped evolving. He is just a 3rd line RW. He cannot play in the top 6 in any major role. Not worth his money. He is quickly playing himself off the team. He's invisible even with Matthews and Nylander.

Leafs need to move him for a backup or a dman. That is money better spent.

Leafs will probably not being Muzzin, Ceci, Barrie back. Leafs are horrible with them. Leafs need to rebuild the dcore with Holl, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, and Reilly and work from there.

Leafs got tons of money, specially if the cap goes up to the rumored $85.5M.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    62 KB · Views: 1

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kapanen has stopped developing. he has stopped evolving. He is just a 3rd line RW. He cannot play in the top 6 in any major role. Not worth his money. He is quickly playing himself off the team. He's invisible even with Matthews and Nylander.

Leafs need to move him for a backup or a dman. That is money better spent.

Leafs will probably not being Muzzin, Ceci, Barrie back. Leafs are horrible with them. Leafs need to rebuild the dcore with Holl, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, and Reilly and work from there.

Leafs got tons of money, specially if the cap goes up to the rumored $85.5M.
Bettman usually comes out with his rosy CAP outlook after BOD mtg but this year he declined to comment. and has asked players union to use the escalator to drive up CAP because he says there is TOOOOOO much money floating around in the system next year and following year i.e. we can't drive the CAP up using league revenues so we need the players to do it. But the players are driving down the escrow holdbacks the last 3 years of the current way too complicated CBA. So what you will see are very weak gains in CAP next 2 seasons while things catch up. But I love the TOOOO much money floating around comment. Totally confuses everyone. Typical Bettman.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Bettman usually comes out with his rosy CAP outlook after BOD mtg but this year he declined to comment. and has asked players union to use the escalator to drive up CAP because he says there is TOOOOOO much money floating around in the system next year and following year i.e. we can't drive the CAP up using league revenues so we need the players to do it. But the players are driving down the escrow holdbacks the last 3 years of the current way too complicated CBA. So what you will see are very weak gains in CAP next 2 seasons while things catch up. But I love the TOOOO much money floating around comment. Totally confuses everyone. Typical Bettman.

it wasn't bettman at all who said this. The NHL players have a 5% inflator they can use any time and the NHL has no say at all.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
it wasn't bettman at all who said this. The NHL players have a 5% inflator they can use any time and the NHL has no say at all.
Who knows where it got leaked out but typical Bettman when asked he went totally quiet. For a guy with a lot to say it is telling. But I had heard this for some time now. Everything will come out clear as mud. People thinking CAP going up big next 2 years are sadly mistaken.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Correct, the NHLPA has a 5% cap inflator right, any year as that is written in the collective bargaining agreement as was negotiated last time the CBA was changed.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The question is why wouldn't the players use the cap inflator?

seems so weird to me that they would choose to earn less for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad