Salary Cap: 11 guys signed next year at $65.5M CAP - $16M left for 12 guys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Offensively yes. But last night he again caused us a goal by being scared to eat a puck. Even if you are a small guy you need to be strong enough as a defender to eat on one for the team. Brace yourself take the blow and wait for whistle. There are times in a game where 3 forwards make a rush and get caught. So they are not back. You can't dump it over the glass anymore like we used to. So there are times when skating does not work. You need to sacrifice for your team. Every good defense worth his salt knows this.

He's not perfect, but he is more than just a spare part.

Reactions: smitty10

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Posted this in the wrong thread a few minutes ago...

I seriously think AJ will be the odd man out when the dust settles. We can insert various options on LW and not to undermine him he can score, our top 2 pairing c's and rw's could acclimatize with anyone and still work. Rather keep Kap and his speed and big game prowess tbh, even though rw is rather stacked.

Ceci does have some value out there, so anyone thinking we are totally stuck, not the case at all. Everyone needs D and many would take a shot. Ceci at 4.5 and johnsson at 3.4 is almost 8 million. AJ should fetch something, proven youngish scoring with term. With a little creativity that buys a backup goalie, a solid stay at home d and maybe even a big gritty winger for the bottom six/slide in top six to keep opponents honest. It's do-able.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Posted this in the wrong thread a few minutes ago...

I seriously think AJ will be the odd man out when the dust settles. We can insert various options on LW and not to undermine him he can score, our top 2 pairing c's and rw's could acclimatize with anyone and still work. Rather keep Kap and his speed and big game prowess tbh, even though rw is rather stacked.

Ceci does have some value out there, so anyone thinking we are totally stuck, not the case at all. Everyone needs D and many would take a shot. Ceci at 4.5 and johnsson at 3.4 is almost 8 million. AJ should fetch something, proven youngish scoring with term. With a little creativity that buys a backup goalie, a solid stay at home d and maybe even a big gritty winger for the bottom six/slide in top six to keep opponents honest. It's do-able.

Even if we retain 50% on Ceci and call Liljegren up, we're still saving money.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He's not perfect, but he is more than just a spare part.
Like I said I love him in the neutral zone and in the attacking zone but when you truly watch him closely defensively OMG it is bad. and in affects Rielly too. In a strange way I think it will be better for Rielly with Barrie because he is being forced to be getting pucks deep all the time. He is getting rocked a lot and I think he is getting better at learning how to deal with different hard forechecking scenarios. This should help us in the playoffs. It will be a good test today and we will see.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Like I said I love him in the neutral zone and in the attacking zone but when you truly watch him closely defensively OMG it is bad. and in affects Rielly too. In a strange way I think it will be better for Rielly with Barrie because he is being forced to be getting pucks deep all the time. He is getting rocked a lot and I think he is getting better at learning how to deal with different hard forechecking scenarios. This should help us in the playoffs. It will be a good test today and we will see.

Like I said, he's more than just a spare part. He's one of the best offensive Dmen in the world.

Reactions: kb

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The NHL cap was 73M prior to Vegas coming in. It was $75M during Vegas' first season. The Cap went up to $79.5M the next season. That is a $6.5M swing.

MGM deal is DONE. Link
direct quote "The American Gaming Association released a report Oct. 2 saying the NHL's annual revenue may increase by $216 million because of legalized sports betting. NHL revenues exceeded $4.5 billion last season."

with all of the variables taken into account : 5% inflator (at 81.5M is 4.075M) + Seattle revenue + MGM gambling deal + TV deal ==== a $6-10M increase in the NHL salary cap in the next 2-3 seasons.

These are facts added with simple math.

The players are losing 10% on escrow and are upset, Im not sure the cap will go up much at all over the next couple of years. It would take a doubling of the TV contract and 200 million in betting to get them out of escrow and I think there goal is to not be paing escrow.
I would think its going to be minimum cap raises untill all these final numbers are in.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The players are losing 10% on escrow and are upset, Im not sure the cap will go up much at all over the next couple of years. It would take a doubling of the TV contract and 200 million in betting to get them out of escrow and I think there goal is to not be paing escrow.
I would think its going to be minimum cap raises untill all these final numbers are in.
The players have little impact on the cap, and escrow is already supposed to be dropping this year naturally with lower salaries due to the potential of a lockout.

The cap is going to rise over the next few years, and all indications are pretty substantially. The only question is how much.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The players have little impact on the cap, and escrow is already supposed to be dropping this year naturally with lower salaries due to the potential of a lockout.

The cap is going to rise over the next few years, and all indications are pretty substantially. The only question is how much.

Going into CBA negotiating the player have no say in one of the only things they don't like? It would cost the owners nothing to freez the cap and let the new revenue cancel out escrow.
Its the easiest most logical fix. What indications? All indications are the players are angry about the size of escrow.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah I agree probably more durable too

I don't know. Kaps doesn't seem to "fit" with anyone really. Not AM or JT at least. Also, we are deep at RW with Nylander and Marner.

LW is Hyman and AJ basically. And Hyman only has 1 year left after this one so who knows what happens.

At the end of the day, we don't need to make that decision today so let the rest of the season play out.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Going into CBA negotiating the player have no say in one of the only things they don't like? It would cost the owners nothing to freez the cap and let the new revenue cancel out escrow.
Its the easiest most logical fix. What indications? All indications are the players are angry about the size of escrow.
We are still under an established CBA for the next few years. The only way players can influence the cap is with the escalator. They already barely used it last year, and we still saw a 2m increase. Some uneducated players don't like escrow, but the main problem for the NHLPA was how high it was pushing. It wasn't that escrow itself existed.

Even if you think the current negotiations will impact something, neither the owners nor the NHLPA will stagnate the cap. Owners don't want to lose their players. Players with negotiations coming up want to get paid. The only question is how much it goes up. As I already said, salaries are already lower this coming year because of fears of the lockout, so escrow will not be as big of an issue for next year. And in future years, we have significant factors that will push the cap up, to an extent that even if we shrink escrow down considerably, the cap will still go up considerably.

Escrow is a core part of the cap. It will exist, because players are being paid more than they should be. More than they both agreed upon. That 50/50 share isn't changing during this negotiation, that's for sure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dude if you were withheld 12% of your pay and end up losing 9.5% of your pay after owner's true-up in summer for the year you would be pi**ed too. I don't think the owners can withhold HRR accounts but I would not put it past them. Monies can easily shift from hockey sponsorships to arena sponsorships and it would be difficult to get to the bottom unless some company man squealed. Anyways they real negotiations will be very tough when all sponsorships get on the table. In many markets it will be negligible but markets like Toronto it is MASSIVE.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The players are losing 10% on escrow and are upset

Escrow will never go away in a revenue share system, it’s necessary when the final earnings of players isn’t known until after the season finishes. Maybe they’ll conceal it by just not putting the line item in the players checks (I.e., just pay them less), but they will never not have to pay into escrow.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
We are still under an established CBA for the next few years. The only way players can influence the cap is with the escalator. They already barely used it last year, and we still saw a 2m increase. Some uneducated players don't like escrow, but the main problem for the NHLPA was how high it was pushing. It wasn't that escrow itself existed.

Even if you think the current negotiations will impact something, neither the owners nor the NHLPA will stagnate the cap. Owners don't want to lose their players. Players with negotiations coming up want to get paid. The only question is how much it goes up. As I already said, salaries are already lower this coming year because of fears of the lockout, so escrow will not be as big of an issue for next year. And in future years, we have significant factors that will push the cap up, to an extent that even if we shrink escrow down considerably, the cap will still go up considerably.

Escrow is a core part of the cap. It will exist, because players are being paid more than they should be. More than they both agreed upon. That 50/50 share isn't changing during this negotiation, that's for sure.

The players can suggest and vote on 1.5% increase. The alternative is they all get a rollback in a few years. They have to keep escrow but they can also create a sytem where they get most of it back. I have no idea why you think they have little impact on the cap.
I get you hope and dream of a massive cap run but i doubt it happens.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Escrow will never go away in a revenue share system, it’s necessary when the final earnings of players isn’t known until after the season finishes. Maybe they’ll conceal it by just not putting the line item in the players checks (I.e., just pay them less), but they will never not have to pay into escrow.

If they slow the cap growth the money will be returned to them the cap is too far ahead of revenue

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I don't know. Kaps doesn't seem to "fit" with anyone really. Not AM or JT at least. Also, we are deep at RW with Nylander and Marner.

LW is Hyman and AJ basically. And Hyman only has 1 year left after this one so who knows what happens.

At the end of the day, we don't need to make that decision today so let the rest of the season play out.
I think Hyman stays. He's a Leaf.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Is there another team this bad ?
11 players 65 million
Toronto in committed contracts next year:

10 players - 62.8 million

Tax-advantage Tampa in committed contracts next year:

10 players - 68.8 million

8 of those Tampa players have NTCs or NMCs.
The 2 that don't, don't because they are too young. 1 will have a NMC the year after.

Reactions: kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Great, that's 1% more than last year! Even bigger rise in the cap!

Lol what?

Because they don't. There's a formula for how it's calculated. It's based on revenue. They get 50%.

Lets say they vote on no raise next year. That has no impact on the cap?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is a terrible system. Too many numbers are contrived and convoluted. We need a very simple basic system where a player negotiates a fair and free market contract with a team. NHL can keep whatever CAP they want and teams that go over the CAP because they can afford to can choose to pay a TAX back to league to distribute to the unfortunate teams. This eliminates any need for escrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad