Post-Game Talk: “Everything is so crappy right now” - @gordonhught

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crappiest part of the team right now?

• Goaltending

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Defense

Votes: 97 53.0%
  • Bad puck and injury luck

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Offensive depth

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • Coaching

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • GM

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Owner

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Bobby

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Absolutely fair. I just don't think the team is as bad as they've shown lately. Firmly believe they'll go on a heater. I probably am just a fool. They're built to play firewagon hockey. Is it optimal? Not at all. But thats what they do and I've come to accept it
Fire wagon hockey is fine however you need a minimum level of defence, something which we don’t have right now system wise or player wise.

Only real bright side is every play on the team HAS been better than this

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Honestly, I'm glad that the World Cup, even with all of its issues, is happening right now.

It's given me a chance to step away from the Oil, and all of the frustrations associated with the team, for a few weeks. Hopefully the Oilers will have found their game again before the Christmas break :thumbu:
Ya, the main reason I enjoy wrestling is because I can enjoy it without thinking or investment. AEW is very enjoyable, especially after Oilers crap the bed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
With all due respect Drive, things like this are just an excuse.

It's simple logic. This is a hockey team full of a lot of low IQ, soft hockey players. That's the crux of it.

team does not have enough good consistent hockey players.

I don't know what a few legends would do? Every team has alumni around the team.

Do the players get angry at them? Is their spotlight being taken away? How does Coffey, Gretzky before, etc effect these mental midgets? It should motivate them.

Unfortunately, most of these guys just don't have any consistent drive or urgency. They are just waiting for some help.

If they take 50 shots, how many are actual good ones in the slot? These guys REFUSE to crash the net. Perimeter primadonnas.

There is a reason they are always almost dead last in rebound goals every year

Wasn't meaning it as an excuse or to absolve anything. The Edmonton Oilers org is run like an old carnival that never changes, that falls on their past and its thats enough. Some or many seasons it feels like the org is just searching to sell nostalgia and they do it increasingly when they find they can't sell the current product as well. The current product containing McDrai. Its gotten to the point that attendance every other rink is higher when Oilers come to town then the attendance in our own new rink. New rinks usually spur attendance. Thats already gone. So everytime the org senses this kind of trouble they dig hard to recreate the past, they reprint several more "retro" jerseys, they redo the McFarlanes. The carnival is in full swing, everywhere but putting an actual team together, and it pisses me off on behalf of younger fans that have never seen better and deserve better.

I don't do this because I simply don't buy crap, but I bet I could go down to Rogers place and find several types of Oilers gimmick jerseys all currently being sold at full price and each one really just a way to shake pockets. I didn't even come close to covering all the gimmick jersey types.

The trouble is us fans care about the current performance. This is an org that that would rather just truck out its history forever, and never stop as long as they can bilk people on nostalgia buying. The org doesn't give a toss about winning. They hire drunken buffoons to run things. For decades.

Gonna disagree with the bolded. you didn't watch the game I take it. The Oilers were banging the Islanders net like crazy. They were doing that. But they weren't making any winning fakes around the net. Everything was kind of the expectable variety. The Oilers are scoutable.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
We just gonna keep spending $5m here and $5m there on Kanes, Hyman and Nuges?

Time for this team to start having more than one gameplan.
Yea it's called the draft. They should probably figure that out at some point.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
So the concerns lots of fans voiced before the season started are killing us right now.

Who would have thought.

Nurse isn’t good enough to be a number 1 guy consistently. He’s been bad for quite some time now. Not saying trade him but we need a guy like Chychrun who can be better than him most nights and shelter Nurse a bit.

Kulak cannot handle being a top 4 guy. He’s a solid 5/6 and needs to stay that way.

Our depth still f***ing sucks. Just embarrassing all around right now.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Wasn't meaning it as an excuse or to absolve anything. The Edmonton Oilers org is run like an old carnival that never changes, that falls on their past and its thats enough. Some or many seasons it feels like the org is just searching to sell nostalgia and they do it increasingly when they find they can't sell the current product as well. The current product containing McDrai. Its gotten to the point that attendance every other rink is higher when Oilers come to town then the attendance in our own new rink. New rinks usually spur attendance. Thats already gone. So everytime the org senses this kind of trouble they dig hard to recreate the past, they reprint several more "retro" jerseys, they redo the McFarlanes. The carnival is in full swing, everywhere but putting an actual team together, and it pisses me off on behalf of younger fans that have never seen better and deserve better.

I don't do this because I simply don't buy crap, but I bet I could go down to Rogers place and find several types of Oilers gimmick jerseys all currently being sold at full price and each one really just a way to shake pockets. I didn't even come close to covering all the gimmick jersey types.

The trouble is us fans care about the current performance. This is an org that that would rather just truck out its history forever, and never stop as long as they can bilk people on nostalgia buying. The org doesn't give a toss about winning. They hire drunken buffoons to run things. For decades.

Gonna disagree with the bolded. you didn't watch the game I take it. The Oilers were banging the Islanders net like crazy. They were doing that. But they weren't making any winning fakes around the net. Everything was kind of the expectable variety. The Oilers are scoutable.
Don't forget about "OILERS+"

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Problem isn’t the 5M spent on Hyman or Kane.

It’s the 6M spent on Yamajarvi and the 9.25M spent on Nurse.

Yamajarvi were supposed to be “depth” and worth that amount. Lots of supporters on both sides, entire theses written about why one was better than the other. To be fair, I doubt anyone in the hockey world expected them both to be this absolutely useless. I wanted them to move on from one of them (idgaf who) and use the cap elsewhere, but c’est la vie.

Nurse? Let’s just say I wonder more often than not how it would be if his and Klefbom’s injury luck were reversed. Klefbom would still be on his sweetheart deal, playing no worse than Nurse. I’m no big fan of Darnell, but I’ll say he has one of the toughest jobs on the team, playing two positions at once (1LD and 2LD). At least Klefbom had Sekera to split the duties a bit

Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Don't forget about "OILERS+"
Yep. Somebody should make a list of just the gimmick stuff just for one season that the Oilers sell instead of providing the actual on ice product commensurate to the org failing for picks for a f***ing decade. This is what we get for it Oilers+ crap programming so we can hear more about the Oilers. Several of us were saying too that anytime the Oil change shit came on it preceded disaster on ice.

This org will make players shill for their streaming product, provide content, surf them out to all the autograph signings, public meets etc but anytime these docu things get started it starts putting extra demands on the players time, spreading focus, distracting, and basically telling the players that it isn't even about the games. Its about selling bucks, spurious content, and endless nostalgia.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
The sad thing is I would love to think that maybe..just maybe... The thought of "am I earning my contract?" Would be a question any of the usual suspects might ask themselves but feel it's more likely "why am I not making more."

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Bouchard's ceiling is looking like a a #6 guy at the moment. Boy, has he regressed hard.

In addition to being a terribly constructed and horribly flawed roster, this team is beyond boring to watch as well.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yea it's called the draft. They should probably figure that out at some point.
The draft takes years to pay dividends.

This isn't really a discussion of finding elite talent though either. A truly elite player elevates those who play around him. Crosby made due with a lot less at times.

McDavid and Drai do at times, too. But sometimes they get stuck in a mindset that they have to do it all in their own. And it results in disjointed team play when the puck doesn't bounce their way.

If the Oilers need to pay $5m+ for any kind of sufficient help, the team isn't going to make it very far.

• Love
Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The sad thing is I would love to think that maybe..just maybe... The thought of "am I earning my contract?" Would be a question any of the usual suspects might ask themselves but feel it's more likely "why am I not making more."
Work to rule concepts even in superstars are an eventuality in this kind of context. How many seasons in a row have McDrai done their jobs and then carrying the team on their backs too. AT some point seeing a clown org around you there ends up being no point, you're just expending needless energy.

McDrai this season are pretty clearly reverting to pts above all else. Especially Drai. he used to be the more defensively responsible of the bunch. Now he's pre Trotz Ovechkin. Just picking his spots. Work to rule is happening. I expected it for a longtime.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Work to rule concepts even in superstars are an eventuality in this kind of context. How many seasons in a row have McDrai done their jobs and then carrying the team on their backs too. AT some point seeing a clown org around you there ends up being no point, you're just expending needless energy.

McDrai this season are pretty clearly reverting to pts above all else. Especially Drai. he used to be the more defensively responsible of the bunch. Now he's pre Trotz Ovechkin. Just picking his spots. Work to rule is happening. I expected it for a longtime.
They just had an interview where Drai was talking about his leg still bothering him, you can see him shaking his leg coming off the ice every once in a while. It's pretty clearly still bothering him, and considering the long recovery time for high ankle sprains, probably will for a couple more months.

Drai was put on Mcdavid's wing during the playoffs to compensate for his lack of mobility, at some point the coaching staff is going to have to do that again considering the team is struggling to score again and Drai is struggling all over the ice. Hell, even putting frequent puck hog Hyman on Drai's line for an extended stay would be an improvement as it would take pressure off him having to skate with the puck.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The draft takes years to pay dividends.

This isn't really a discussion of finding elite talent though either. A truly elite player elevates those who play around him. Crosby made due with a lot less at times.

McDavid and Drai do at times, too. But sometimes they get stuck in a mindset that they have to do it all in their own. And it results in disjointed team play when the puck doesn't bounce their way.

If the Oilers need to pay $5m+ for any kind of sufficient help, the team isn't going to make it very far.
When the Penguins drafted Crosby they already had Malkin and MAF. They got Letang the same year as Crosby and they've been attached at the hip their entire careers. Jordan Staal the year after. Probably 4-5 other guys who played significant roles in cup wins over the years after that as well. Guys like Rust and Guentzel look like Brett Hull compared to Oilers picks.

The best player the Oilers have drafted in the McDrai era is Kailer Yamamoto (not counting John Marino who refused to sign). Zero impact players. The entire list is a bunch of bagels. So yea, when you do that for so many years you get to pay free agents if you want talent.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
They just had an interview where Drai was talking about his leg still bothering him, you can see him shaking his leg coming off the ice every once in a while. It's pretty clearly still bothering him, and considering the long recovery time for high ankle sprains, probably will for a couple more months.

Drai was put on Mcdavid's wing during the playoffs to compensate for his lack of mobility, at some point the coaching staff is going to have to do that again considering the team is struggling to score again and Drai is struggling all over the ice. Hell, even putting frequent puck hog Hyman on Drai's line for an extended stay would be an improvement as it would take pressure off him having to skate with the puck.
As bad as this would turn out, if Drai is actually still hurt shut him down then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad