GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Tomorrow's roster. I bet Larsson plays the whole game. Jarry might play Friday night.

Basically last chance for a bunch of these guys to impress.

GOALIES

31 – Filip Larsson

35 – Tristan Jarry

DEFENSE

4 – Nathan Clurman

5 – Ryan Shea

7 – John Ludvig

25 – Sebastian Aho

38 – Owen Pickering

45 – Harrison Brunicke

82 – Filip Kral

FORWARDS

2 – Rutger McGroarty

12 – Corey Andonovski

13 – Kevin Hayes

14 – Boko Imama

15 – Joona Koppanen

18 – Jesse Puljujarvi

22 – Sam Poulin

26 – Tristan Broz

41 – Ville Koivunen

44 – Jonathan Gruden

48 – Valtteri Puustinen

52 – Emil Bemstrom

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tomorrow's roster. I bet Larsson plays the whole game. Jarry might play Friday night.

Basically last chance for a bunch of these guys to impress.

GOALIES

31 – Filip Larsson

35 – Tristan Jarry

DEFENSE

4 – Nathan Clurman

5 – Ryan Shea

7 – John Ludvig

25 – Sebastian Aho

38 – Owen Pickering

45 – Harrison Brunicke

82 – Filip Kral

FORWARDS

2 – Rutger McGroarty

12 – Corey Andonovski

13 – Kevin Hayes

14 – Boko Imama

15 – Joona Koppanen

18 – Jesse Puljujarvi

22 – Sam Poulin

26 – Tristan Broz

41 – Ville Koivunen

44 – Jonathan Gruden

48 – Valtteri Puustinen

52 – Emil Bemstrom
IF Koivunen isn't used in a top six capacity no point in playing him. He's not a bottom six guy. To play him in such a role is silly.

Man, those Jamie Benn/Jason Robertson/Matthew Tkachuk comparisons are certainly looking like a pipe dream now.
Who thought that in the first place?

One thing I will say though, for a Wing he has really good vision and distributes the puck quite well.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
McG is just 'merican Hornqvist.

Also, his stat line from his first season on EP is hilarious:

17 GP - 40 G - 7 A

Next best two players only had 17 points in 17 games. One of them was Cutter Gauthier.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Man, those Jamie Benn/Jason Robertson/Matthew Tkachuk comparisons are certainly looking like a pipe dream now.
I feel pretty vindicated watching him play that he's sort of a M. Tkachuk lite. He's got 2 points in 4 games and his line is consistently one of the teams better lines.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think even 3 games with the Pens would help him a ton with growing.

The speed of the NHL with feedback from coaches instantly on these are what you need to do to stay for next year so work on these in Junior to me is super beneficial.

Again the 3rd pair in the NHL is legit for developing as a player.

It is not the 4th line.
Like I said, I'm cool with like the 9 games before he needs to be sent back, I don't even care if he scores a ton and looks great, I still send him back after 9 games.

It just pisses me off that at the end of 2022-23, all Dubas had to do was force Sullivan to keep POJ as a regular like he should have been, he was fine in his 75 game season and they really never ever needed Ryan Graves, but I guarantee you that was an entirely Mike Sullivan thing. Because he never quite seemed happy about POJ and his usage of him showed that. They could have gone and signed a different LHD instead.

The defense routinely had issues allowing players to the front of the net and have for close to a decade now and thought Ryan Graves would fix that, which I mean I am not shocked Sullivan had a player in mind that he didn't really scout properly (see: Oleksiak, Johnson, etc).

I would have been fine with Radko Gudas, Niko Mikkola (always liked him on the Blues before he got dealt to the Rangers and then sigend with Florida last summer). POJ looked good with Letang that year, they just had to keep it going imo.

Pettersson, Karlsson
POJ, Letang
Ludvig/Shea/UFA, Gudas/St Ivany/UFA/Turdwedel/Smith

In any case, I am happy to see Harrison end up being a stud of a player, being that my Mum is South African and so is Brunicke (although he was raised in Canada after they moved), it'd be very cool to see someone with that heritage as well, but I hestitate with how this team handles young promising players.

Always better to just watch the player first.

Rutger to me shows a lot of smarts that you don't expect out of a player that age. He's constantly in the right position to intercept passes, supports his forwards, it's like he's ignoring Sullivan's "idea of a system" and plays the game the way he knows he needs to, to succeed and help his line succeed. It's refreshing to have a player that young have that IQ that isn't brainwashed by Sullivan yet.

I don't even know who I would compare him to, which is fine, he's a Rutger McGroarty as it were and whatever he is this season in WBS or on the Pens, he might not be the same player later on. For me I still think he reminds me of Carter V from the Panthers. The way he skates and moves, that offensive confidence will come after he pots a goal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does he look anything like those three? All three were 40+ point scorers in their rookie seasons and all three showed glimpses of "star" potentially during those rookie seasons.

The season has literally not even started yet.

I really feel like some people here just want to complain so they'll grasp at "McGroarty isn't dominating in pre-season so he sucks" type of arguments to be downers.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think some of the expectations and comparisons for Groats have been a little... much. But I will say that he's looked like one of the best nine forwards in every game he's played... including the ones with this team's "best" players. Damning with faint praise perhaps... but there it is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The season has literally not even started yet.
I meant based on what you've seen in the pre-season. Does he look like a guy who could score 20 goals or 40+ points if he's given top six minutes?

Maybe it's just usage then and goes back to Sullivan being a jackass. If he IS capable of a Benn/Tkachuk/Robertson-like rookie season this year, then the fact he's not stapled to one of Sid or Geno is stupid.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Does he look anything like those three? All three were 40+ point scorers in their rookie seasons and all three showed glimpses of "star" potentially during those rookie seasons.
Why does he need to? He is Rutger Mcgroarty, not Jamie Benn. To write off his upside is extremely dramatic based on 4 preseason games, but also bc it was always a pipe dream he ever was an Art Ross type.

Time will tell. Just because he doesn’t look like a superstar at 20 immediately doesn’t mean much to me. Plenty of names besides those 3 became good players and weren’t much at 20 years old.

Plus he’s looked like a NHL player from day 1, that’s pretty good. (And scored at ur 40 pt pace but I digress)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I meant based on what you've seen in the pre-season. Does he look like a guy who could score 20 goals or 40+ points if he's given top six minutes?

Maybe it's just usage then and goes back to Sullivan being a jackass. If he IS capable of a Benn/Tkachuk/Robertson-like rookie season this year, then the fact he's not stapled to one of Sid or Geno is stupid.

This just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining. Is this like a "gotcha" attempt because McGroarty isn't immediately a top line player and people here were excited about him when he was acquired?

I'll say the same thing I've said numerous times: McGroarty looks NHL ready but would still benefit from some time in the AHL, especially with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6. I wouldn't have any issues with McGroarty starting in the NHL on L3, but I'd probably rather have him spend 30 games on WBS's L1 and then jump immediately to the Penguins top-6.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why does he need to?
Because those are the names that frequently came up as comparisons when we first acquired him, so I was curious how close he's actually been to that first comparison.

If he turns into a regular NHLer, cool. But a big part of the hype (at least to me) was this idea that he has future star potential. Maybe he still does. I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying that if the expectation is less than that now then the initial hype was overblown.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Matthew Tkachuk in 2016-2017 preseason: 2 points in 4 games

Rutger McGroarty: 2 points in 4 games.

We talkin preseason bruh.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining. Is this like a "gotcha" attempt because McGroarty isn't immediately a top line player and people here were excited about him when he was acquired?

I'll say the same thing I've said numerous times: McGroarty looks NHL ready but would still benefit from some time in the AHL, especially with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6. I wouldn't have any issues with McGroarty starting in the NHL on L3, but I'd probably rather have him spend 30 games on WBS's L1 and then jump immediately to the Penguins top-6.
LOL no? Why would I want to say "gotcha" when I was one of the people excited about the prospect of his upside based on what I read?

It's more about me wondering if that initial hype was overblown or not.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
LOL no? Why would I want to say "gotcha" when I was one of the people excited about the prospect of his upside based on what I read?

It's more about me wondering if that initial hype was overblown or not.

I guess it depends on what you consider that "initial hype" pegged him at. He's a top-6 upside player that looks NHL ready, but I don't think most people think he has some star type of upside (at least in terms of likely outcomes). When people have used the Tkachuk comparison, it meant more in playstyle than actual ability.

IMO his upside is a more physical/slower Guentzel. I don't really think that has changed in the games I've seen from him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess it depends on what you consider that "initial hype" pegged him at. He's a top-6 upside player that looks NHL ready, but I don't think most people think he has some star type of upside (at least in terms of likely outcomes). When people have used the Tkachuk comparison, it meant more in playstyle than actual ability.

IMO his upside is a more physical/slower Guentzel. I don't really think that has changed in the games I've seen from him.

So what you are saying here is "Kevin Stevens but even more scoring and less crack?"

Bold, Emp. Very bold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad