Post-Game Talk: “Everything is so crappy right now” - @gordonhught

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crappiest part of the team right now?

• Goaltending

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Defense

Votes: 97 53.0%
  • Bad puck and injury luck

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Offensive depth

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • Coaching

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • GM

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Owner

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Bobby

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Husso with another shutout tonight. He now has more shutouts than Campbell has games where hes allowed <3 goals.

Good thing we went with the "safe" option

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Honestly can't believe Katz isn't dominating this vote.

Katz leads to Bobby, GM and coach.

Those three lead to all other problems - goaltending, defense, "bad luck", offensive depth.

This is a hierarchical problem. It starts at the top.

Both the Oilers and the Canucks' biggest issues are ownership. One jumped into a rebuild and was led along by charlatans that he collected as living hockey cards, the other is also a fanboy that refuses to admit mistakes and do a proper rebuild. (Personal character questions of both notwithstanding)

Likely the two worst owners in Canada, perhaps the league.

(Doesn't help that most of the Canucks fans are bipolar about this season and want their team to limp along when they should be tanking and collecting picks.)

Reactions: Gordievsky

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Husso with another shutout tonight. He now has more shutouts than Campbell has games where hes allowed <3 goals.

Good thing we went with the "safe" option
Yup can’t believe Campbell didn’t score tonight to break that shutout for the other team. What a bum.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
As bad as this would turn out, if Drai is actually still hurt shut him down then.
If they thought that not playing would accelerate the healing process, he wouldn't be playing.

Some injuries just linger for a really long time and there is nothing you can do about it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yamajarvi were supposed to be “depth” and worth that amount. Lots of supporters on both sides, entire theses written about why one was better than the other. To be fair, I doubt anyone in the hockey world expected them both to be this absolutely useless. I wanted them to move on from one of them (idgaf who) and use the cap elsewhere, but c’est la vie.

Nurse? Let’s just say I wonder more often than not how it would be if his and Klefbom’s injury luck were reversed. Klefbom would still be on his sweetheart deal, playing no worse than Nurse. I’m no big fan of Darnell, but I’ll say he has one of the toughest jobs on the team, playing two positions at once (1LD and 2LD). At least Klefbom had Sekera to split the duties a bit
One of the reasons why he has to play two roles is because he makes 9.25M.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
One of the reasons why he has to play two roles is because he makes 9.25M.

Yup, he took market value, unfortunately. He felt owed because of the bridges (where he earned what he was paid, IMO, but again, I'm not the biggest Nurse fan).

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
If they thought that not playing would accelerate the healing process, he wouldn't be playing.

Some injuries just linger for a really long time and there is nothing you can do about it.
I wish I had the faith you have in the oilers decisions making process when it comes to injuries and what to do about them. There’s lots of evidence to the contrary over the years.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I wish I had the faith you have in the oilers decisions making process when it comes to injuries and what to do about them. There’s lots of evidence to the contrary over the years.
It's been a long time since the Oilers have had any kind of controversy regarding poor handling of injuries.

Most of that reputation comes from the days when Lowe/Mact were running things and were shaming players with their antiquated ideas about toughness.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Yup, he took market value, unfortunately. He felt owed because of the bridges (where he earned what he was paid, IMO, but again, I'm not the biggest Nurse fan).

If Nurse had been signed after his ELC to $6M x 6 years he would be in the final year of that contract.

That contract is essentially what Nurse has made on the two bridge deals plus the overpay for the first two years of his current deal.

What would Nurse be able to get on the UFA market this summer?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

i honestly don't believe this. This is an org that likes its go to players to play hurt and has done it before. Sure Drai wants to keep playing but I can't think this is automatically getting better at some point in the game of hockey where such injuries can just become recurring limitations with regular re injuries.

Drai even had to basically tell the team to stop putting him out on the pk. That he's no pk juggernaut out there. In his injured state.

The team can't really shutdown Drai because it immediately cancels another season. They'r going to get every drop out of him until he can't play, and it looks to be getting worse. Multiple times he's just going to the bench instead of coming back. Skating slowly. Last week, last home stand there was a couple segments where Drai was having trouble getting off the ice again. Aside from his comments. Scouts already knew. This is back to being hampered Drai that can't skate the same and won't be covering ice.

Whether Drai is dressed or not in games the combo of him hurt still and Kane out is probably too much anyway.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Honestly can't believe Katz isn't dominating this vote.

Katz leads to Bobby, GM and coach.

Those three lead to all other problems - goaltending, defense, "bad luck", offensive depth.

This is a hierarchical problem. It starts at the top.

Yep, we may be in a Bill Wirtz situation, though obviously not as bad. Most likely nothing improves until Katz sells the team or passes the reigns to someone as he gets older. I want McDavid to win a cup here, so I still have a bit of hope.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
i honestly don't believe this. This is an org that likes its go to players to play hurt and has done it before. Sure Drai wants to keep playing but I can't think this is automatically getting better at some point in the game of hockey where such injuries can just become recurring limitations with regular re injuries.

Drai even had to basically tell the team to stop putting him out on the pk. That he's no pk juggernaut out there. In his injured state.

The team can't really shutdown Drai because it immediately cancels another season. They'r going to get every drop out of him until he can't play, and it looks to be getting worse. Multiple times he's just going to the bench instead of coming back. Skating slowly. Last week, last home stand there was a couple segments where Drai was having trouble getting off the ice again. Aside from his comments. Scouts already knew. This is back to being hampered Drai that can't skate the same and won't be covering ice.

Whether Drai is dressed or not in games the combo of him hurt still and Kane out is probably too much anyway.
Maybe, although teams sometimes do funny things under extreme adversity and actually commit to something, if he’s hurt, and hurting the team I wouldn’t hesitate to shut him down.

Reactions: Duke74

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When the Penguins drafted Crosby they already had Malkin and MAF. They got Letang the same year as Crosby and they've been attached at the hip their entire careers. Jordan Staal the year after. Probably 4-5 other guys who played significant roles in cup wins over the years after that as well. Guys like Rust and Guentzel look like Brett Hull compared to Oilers picks.

The best player the Oilers have drafted in the McDrai era is Kailer Yamamoto (not counting John Marino who refused to sign). Zero impact players. The entire list is a bunch of bagels. So yea, when you do that for so many years you get to pay free agents if you want talent.
This is moving farther and farther away from your initial post, the one I responded to. If our stars need established stars to be consistently impactful, we're going to be in trouble.

McDavid can't make a bad player a good player? There are plenty of star players that make bad linemates good linemates. We add Hyman one offseason, Kane another and the top six is still the focus of 'what's wrong'? I don't buy it.

@Soundwave mentioned that Draisaitl carries the puck into traffic because he doesn't trust his linemates? That's his problem, his weakness and his turnovers.

These guys may be generational talents and guys that carry this team on their backs for fun. But they're not always sharpest when it comes to their approach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Maybe, although teams sometimes do funny things under extreme adversity and actually commit to something, if he’s hurt, and hurting the team I wouldn’t hesitate to shut him down.
AS we've seen one legged Drai is still better than no Drai at all. That isn't a question in my mind. The question is how its assumed the injury is going to go away with the constant aggravating rigors of pro hockey exposing the injury to constant additional spasms and such. Particularly as Drai absorbs so much punishment and more when he's slow moving due to injury.

I question as well that McDrai and several players came back for informal skates and doing dailies with each other pretty much a month before seasons start. that wasn't the brightest thing for this team with the short offseason and ought to have been discouraged. With Drai I think there ought to have been more attempts to keep him off ice for a longer offseason period. No doctor, but it just makes sense with the nature of injury.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This is moving farther and farther away from your initial post, the one I responded to. If our stars need established stars to be consistently impactful, we're going to be in trouble.

McDavid can't make a bad player a good player? There are plenty of star players that make bad linemates good linemates. We add Hyman one offseason, Kane another and the top six is still the focus of 'what's wrong'? I don't buy it.

@Soundwave mentioned that Draisaitl carries the puck into traffic because he doesn't trust his linemates? That's his problem, his weakness and his turnovers.

These guys may be generational talents and guys that carry this team on their backs for fun. But they're not always sharpest when it comes to their approach.
The post I responded to was that McDavid should use his "leadership" to "hold players accountable." Nobody as far as I'm aware said anything about the top six. How many shots did Hyman have again tonight? All off McDavid feeds. Foegele has started scoring since being elevated to that position. The remaining forward position has been a revolving door of AHL-caliber players that Crosby wouldn't be saving either when it comes to scoring a goal.

My point is that McDavid holding a closed doors meeting and yelling at guys doesn't make the bottom six or the defense on this team any good, as was being suggested here. A lot of players on this team could give 200% effort at all times out of fear that McDavid was going to chop their cock off if they played bad and they would still suck at hockey, or at least suck at scoring goals.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Drai gets stuck on the penalty kill because Woodcroft puts him out there for faceoffs, and doesn't seem to trust anyone else to take those draws regularly. A defensive zone win and Drai is usually off the ice immediately, a loss and he stuck out there for a while. I don't get the impression that Woodcroft actually wants to use Drai as a PK regular at all, but the rest of the Oiler centers are 45% faceoff guys(at best). Even Mcdavid gets thrown out on the PK to take defensive zone face offs from time to time, as he's miles better than RNH on down despite the fact that he has the most lackadaisical faceoff form of anyone on the team.

Personally, I think Woodcroft should focus on puck retrieval and cohesive 4 man units that know how to work together instead of over-relying on one guy to get out on the ice and win a puck drop, because the PK has been getting killed all year through losing puck battles and providing poor passing lane coverage rather than anything to do with faceoffs. He's the coach and gets to do it his way though, and I guess he wants people jumping on and off the ice for situational things that are a small part of the on ice play even if it gets a guy on one leg stuck out there for a minute+.

It's not as simple as the organization just playing him while injured either. It's likely a collaborative decision between doctors/player after an assessment of what would be good and bad for his recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Man, this page has a ton of interesting comments.

And I’m not sure I can decide which ones I agree or disagree with.

That’s how you know things are bad with this team. When there is no obvious solution. But even worse, when the problem itself isn’t even obvious.

We’re f***ed.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The post I responded to was that McDavid should use his "leadership" to "hold players accountable." Nobody as far as I'm aware said anything about the top six. How many shots did Hyman have again tonight? All off McDavid feeds. Foegele has started scoring since being elevated to that position. The remaining forward position has been a revolving door of AHL-caliber players that Crosby wouldn't be saving either when it comes to scoring a goal.

My point is that McDavid holding a closed doors meeting and yelling at guys doesn't make the bottom six or the defense on this team any good, as was being suggested here. A lot of players on this team could give 200% effort at all times out of fear that McDavid was going to chop their cock off if they played bad and they would still suck at hockey, or at least suck at scoring goals.
I'm not sure I agree with that either. This is still a pretty good team on many nights.

But I don't think that McDavid is the type to hold others accountable. If you asked him sincerely, he'd probably tell you he hasn't been playing his best hockey. Drai probably would too. And they wouldn't be entirely wrong.

They have high standards set for themselves. And if they don't believe that they're bringing their best game, they'll always be the first ones taking credit for the losses.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I still put part of the blame on him. He didn’t have to ask for 9+. He can also play more like he’s worth 9+ as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’ve already checked out for the season (yes, very sad). I know this because I forgot there was a game tonight :laugh::help:

Well, at least we outshot a team for once. That’s gotta be a positive at least.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad