Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Here's a stupid question.....

Why is it that all of the major media outlets (ESPN, NHL.com etc.) continue to show Craig Smith, Trent Frederic, Jakub Lauko as Centermen when I can't recall any of them ever playing that position in Boston? Also, they show Nosek as a LW. I can see the Nosek designation somewhat, because he's played that position occasionally, but the other 3?

According to these sites, we are carrying 7 Cs, 6 LWs and 1 RW. Anyone have any idea what the rationale is on how these guys get categorized? Its not just Boston either. Its other teams as well.

I swear, the NHL is the only professional league where player positions are just so random.

No idea why they never update positioning. Lauko, Smith, and Freddy were all drafted as centers and for whatever reason, websites just roll with it.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Moving Frederic is fine if Sam Carrick comes to Boston in the trade. I really don't want to go back to Cassidy's team of Lady Byng candidates. I don't think Montgomery does either.

Add toughness don't trade it away unless it is for a better, grittier player

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Moving Frederic is fine if Sam Carrick comes to Boston in the trade. I really don't want to go back to Cassidy's team of Lady Byng candidates. I don't think Montgomery does either.

Add toughness don't trade it away unless it is for a better, grittier player
When I listen to Monty talk I never sence him as turn the other cheek type coach so he will wants guys capable of dropping mitts,playing tough etc. .I think this coaching change is reaping benefits and I was not happy about Bruce being replaced at 1st either.I am sure Bruins will hit some rough patches but all in all I feel like this group looks refreshed.

Reactions: Fenian24 and BMC

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
When the time comes, the logical DFA is Smith, unless some sort of trade can be made. Or Stralman, who is below Reilly as a D-man at this point, IMO. Frederic brings size and a certain intimidation potential (not totally realized to date).

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
When healthy:

Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Hall-Krejci-Pasta
Zacha-Coyle-Smith
Foligno-Nosek-Greer
Lauko

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton
Zboril/Stralman

Ullmark
Swayman

That really leaves Frederic and Reilly without a spot. Now you can argue Reilly and Smith could go and leave Frederic but I think Smith has proven more than Frederic at this point.

Ducks seems like a logical partner......they have 3-2nds and 2-3rds in 2023 draft. I dont see us getting as high as a 2nd but potentially steal one of their 3rds for Freddy and Reilly combined.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My absolute homer scenario:
To Anh: Looch 20% retained(Cal) 4.2 million, Cal 2nd rounder, Mike Reilly, Trent Frederic
To Cal: Craig Smith
To Boston: Looch 30 % retaiend from Anh 2.94 million

7.15 million gone out the door in Smith, Reilly, and Freddy
2.94 million back with Looch on an expiring contract
4.21 million to activate McAvoy

I think these numbers make it close but I may be off a bit.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This is why people early off-season wanted Filip Forsberg as a center. He’s taken like 90 face offs in his career lol.

And two suspensions for slewfoots (slewfeet?).
So Poitras will be the next Marchand. Just has to get the junk out of his system like #63 did ;)

Reactions: dangermike

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Any chance Reilly being recalled for a showcase? Also curious if Lauko will be tried on the 3rd line in place of Smith. Seems odd to recall both unless something is afoot.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Any chance Reilly being recalled for a showcase? Also curious if Lauko will be tried on the 3rd line in place of Smith. Seems odd to recall both unless something is afoot.
Hoping to see Lauko have opportunity on the 3rd line.

Lauko, Reilly, Frederic, Smith, picks, all the mix for a trade???

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I’ll say Reilly and a goalie prospect to Ottawa for Ostapchuck.

Ottawa is familiar with Reilly and gets better with his addition and they get a young goalie for their rebuild.

Bruins are familiar with Ostapchuck because he played with Lysell last year. Bruins get a middling center prospect to replace Studnicka.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I’ll say Reilly and a goalie prospect to Ottawa for Ostapchuck.

Ottawa is familiar with Reilly and gets better with his addition and they get a young goalie for their rebuild.

Bruins are familiar with Ostapchuck because he played with Lysell last year. Bruins get a middling center prospect to replace Studnicka.
flip DiPietro, he'll never play in the Bruins org, too many goalies already

If Lohrei is the seventh defenseman this year, the D is in far worse shape than it appears to be.
D Depth with Reilly traded and McAvoy back is fine

LD / RD
Lindholm / McAvoy
Grzelcyk / Carlo
Forbort / Clifton
Zboril / Stralman
Achan / Wissman/Berglund etc.

Reactions: Spjutmuren

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Looking at the Ducks defense and wow...Vaak and Drysdale on IR. You may have maybe four NHL caliber defenseman active and three of them are UFA's. You know Klingberg is going to go out of the bunch at the TDL...over 14 mil in cap space.

History working out deals with the Ducks.

My best guess for Reilly's destination

I would be inclined to agree that Reilly to the Ducks makes sense, if only because we literally don't have the manpower (as another poster pointed out, Moore's still injured), and we have to ice two of Benoit, White or Beaulieu right now.

Doesn't Reilly have to clear waivers again in about a week or so?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If history has taught us anything, it’s that the Bruins will undoubtedly lose multiple defenseman to injury at some point during the playoffs. I’d much rather our 7th/8th defensemen be Reilly/Stralman than Zboril/Stralman
Which D are you trading then? Zboril? Money/cap plays a huge factor here - this year and next year.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Here's a stupid question.....

Why is it that all of the major media outlets (ESPN, NHL.com etc.) continue to show Craig Smith, Trent Frederic, Jakub Lauko as Centermen when I can't recall any of them ever playing that position in Boston? Also, they show Nosek as a LW. I can see the Nosek designation somewhat, because he's played that position occasionally, but the other 3?

According to these sites, we are carrying 7 Cs, 6 LWs and 1 RW. Anyone have any idea what the rationale is on how these guys get categorized? Its not just Boston either. Its other teams as well.

I swear, the NHL is the only professional league where player positions are just so random.
Fredric was drafted as a center and my thinking is where he would be more productive and comfortable......

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If history has taught us anything, it’s that the Bruins will undoubtedly lose multiple defenseman to injury at some point during the playoffs. I’d much rather our 7th/8th defensemen be Reilly/Stralman than Zboril/Stralman

When healthy neither of those guys are on the roster.

While it's good to have that kind of depth, Bruins aren't in a position to just have a 3 million dollar 7/8 defenseman kicking around for a rainy day.

We need depth in every position, which what the AHL and cheap contracts should be for. Not guys making 3M+. IF we had more cap space, I'd say sure, whatever, but we don't.

Reactions: DKH

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I would be inclined to agree that Reilly to the Ducks makes sense, if only because we literally don't have the manpower (as another poster pointed out, Moore's still injured), and we have to ice two of Benoit, White or Beaulieu right now.

Doesn't Reilly have to clear waivers again in about a week or so?
would be funny if we traded reilly for john moore

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Which D are you trading then? Zboril? Money/cap plays a huge factor here - this year and next year.
Oh I get that. I'm just not looking forward to watching Zboril in the postseason.

When healthy neither of those guys are on the roster.

While it's good to have that kind of depth, Bruins aren't in a position to just have a 3 million dollar 7/8 defenseman kicking around for a rainy day.

We need depth in every position, which what the AHL and cheap contracts should be for. Not guys making 3M+. IF we had more cap space, I'd say sure, whatever, but we don't.
Totally get that. I just hate the idea of Zboril in the playoffs. Let's just hope we don't have a repeat of the 2017 series vs. Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad