Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
If history has taught us anything, it’s that the Bruins will undoubtedly lose multiple defenseman to injury at some point during the playoffs. I’d much rather our 7th/8th defensemen be Reilly/Stralman than Zboril/Stralman
I would prefer Zboril to Stralman. He needs more NHL seasoning, and he will be more than fine. Stralman was a really good defenseman, and still useful, but not for more than fill-in stints.

Reactions: StonedZboril

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So a quick look at CF shows that when McAvoy returns the Bruins will be about $2.8 million over the cap with a 25 man roster. Lauko being waiver exempt seems like a likely candidate to get sent down and would bring the overage to just above $2 million. Reilly, Smith or Forbort have large enough hits to cover this delta. I'd lean towards Reilly being the odd man out as Boston will have 5 LHD on the roster and Reilly is kind of redundant to Grz.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So a quick look at CF shows that when McAvoy returns the Bruins will be about $2.8 million over the cap with a 25 man roster. Lauko being waiver exempt seems like a likely candidate to get sent down and would bring the overage to just above $2 million. Reilly, Smith or Forbort have large enough hits to cover this delta. I'd lean towards Reilly being the odd man out as Boston will have 5 LHD on the roster and Reilly is kind of redundant to Grz.
Dom has the numbers - with Reilly down the number is just under $1.2M more to be compliant.

Reactions: HustleB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Dom has the numbers - with Reilly down the number is just under $1.2M more to be compliant.

Not really a lot of options to cover that roughly $1.2 million. Nosek would cover it, but they seem to really like Nosek in that 4C role and who do we have that would fill that role if traded? Zboril maybe cover gap, but not a guy I think they'd want to move as he can play both the left and right side.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not really a lot of options to cover that roughly $1.2 million. Nosek would cover it, but they seem to really like Nosek in that 4C role and who do we have that would fill that role if traded? Zboril maybe cover gap, but not a guy I think they'd want to move as he can play both the left and right side.
Trading Reilly removes the rest of his hit. Trading Smith. Waiving Smith.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really think trading Smith is the wrong move and would much rather trade Reilly, but I guess you gotta deal with the actual market so maybe Smith is the only real option. Definitely a bummer though. I know he's not a strong playoff performer, but I think he's still gonna be a big loss. They don't have much natural RW talent in the org and certainly not a guy like him who can play in the top 6 in a pinch.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I really think trading Smith is the wrong move and would much rather trade Reilly, but I guess you gotta deal with the actual market so maybe Smith is the only real option. Definitely a bummer though. I know he's not a strong playoff performer, but I think he's still gonna be a big loss. They don't have much natural RW talent in the org and certainly not a guy like him who can play in the top 6 in a pinch.
As weird as it seems... I can see them moving Smith now. Then paying for rental later in the year, where the cap hit isn't as bad. Bruins also have more bottom 6 ready forwards at the moment.

Lauko, McLaughlin, Steen should be getting some NHL minutes. That in of itself may be more valuable than keeping Smith, whom while is an upgrade on any of them in the short term, getting any one of the former 3 as an NHL regular would be a big step.

In addition to the obvious, give us some breathing room cap-wise.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Reilly is though.

Moving just Smith should cover the cap issues.

And make those that want to keep Reilly happy as well.
I think even people who see Reilly as a decent player would acknowledge that he's the odd man out on D at this point. The Lindholm acquisition made him especially redundant. I would think the number of people who are happy to trade smith and keep Reilly is pretty small but maybe i'm misreading the temperature of the board lately.

As weird as it seems... I can see them moving Smith now. Then paying for rental later in the year, where the cap hit isn't as bad. Bruins also have more bottom 6 ready forwards at the moment.

Lauko, McLaughlin, Steen should be getting some NHL minutes. That in of itself may be more valuable than keeping Smith, whom while is an upgrade on any of them in the short term, getting any one of the former 3 as an NHL regular would be a big step.

yeah it's a good point. If you can get a natural RW at the deadline to replace smith for a fraction of the cost cap-wise AND that guy has a better playoff track record then it's probably a net positive all around. I think you might have single-handedly changed my opinion on this.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think even people who see Reilly as a decent player would acknowledge that he's the odd man out on D at this point. The Lindholm acquisition made him especially redundant. I would think the number of people who are happy to trade smith and keep Reilly is pretty small but maybe i'm misreading the temperature of the board lately.
Personally, I 100% agree with you, I'm just going with what I've read in this or similar threads.

I'd move both of them if I could just to help brunt the cap bonuses and not hinder the team next season, cap-wise. I think Reilly and Smith can be replaced in-house cheaper, and while there may be drop-off, not enough to justify dead cap next year. But I'm sure there are plenty that will disagree.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
When I listen to Monty talk I never sence him as turn the other cheek type coach so he will wants guys capable of dropping mitts,playing tough etc. .I think this coaching change is reaping benefits and I was not happy about Bruce being replaced at 1st either.I am sure Bruins will hit some rough patches but all in all I feel like this group looks refreshed.
He made sure to praise Frederic in the room for going after Liam O'Brien after Carlo's injury. It's in the latest behind the B episode.

Reactions: Mione134

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Fredric was drafted as a center and my thinking is where he would be more productive and comfortable......
Fine. But he’s currently a winger, so why not call him that? If he switches to C, then switch it back. Hockey is the only sport that the major media outlets do this with player positions. Either get it right, or just call everyone a F, D, or G. Not a big deal, just a pet peeve of mine.

Occasionally we have infield/outfield players pitch in MLB games. Yet they aren’t categorized as Ps on team rosters. Just list them how they are predominantly used on their teams. That’s all I ask…

Reactions: UConn126

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Personally, I 100% agree with you, I'm just going with what I've read in this or similar threads.

I'd move both of them if I could just to help brunt the cap bonuses and not hinder the team next season, cap-wise. I think Reilly and Smith can be replaced in-house cheaper, and while there may be drop-off, not enough to justify dead cap next year. But I'm sure there are plenty that will disagree.

Smith seems to be the logical choice because of his cap hit and because you have Steen and McLaughlin ready to take over his spot. Maybe Fabian even pulls a Pasta and fill in. If those three falter you can trade for help later in the season.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, much easier to get a bottom six winger at the deadline than a D worth playing. I'd rather have Reilly in during the playoffs if there is an injury than Zboril. McLovin can fill in for Smith as we saw last year.

One of Smith, Reilly or Foligno has to be moved, or multiple buried contracts until the deadline...

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Thought I’d share what I heard this morning in the parking lot at Henry’s market in Beverly

All about Reilly folks

They have 9 D and need to get to 8

They have 5 LHD and need to get to 4

He’s the only D out of Zboril or Stralman that makes enough to get them Cap compliant

The second year is problem but they can retain 50% and get there

Obviously they don’t want to but I don’t want to turn on my heat but I have to if I don’t want to be cold

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Thought I’d share what I heard this morning in the parking lot at Henry’s market in Beverly

All about Reilly folks

They have 9 D and need to get to 8

They have 5 LHD and need to get to 4

He’s the only D out of Zboril or Stralman that makes enough to get them Cap compliant

The second year is problem but they can retain 50% and get there

Obviously they don’t want to but I don’t want to turn on my heat but I have to if I don’t want to be cold

So I 1.5M burn next year. I guess we pray for the cap to go up. Kind of surprised we can't retain say 20%-25% and slip in a pick.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So I 1.5M burn next year. I guess we pray for the cap to go up. Kind of surprised we can't retain say 20%-25% and slip in a pick.
All on the table but they are trying to move Reilly

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am sorry for those that consider #48 a sacred cow as another poster described him. But moving him as a player that could possibly bring you a second in the up coming draft is still the move that , I would love too see the bruins make . They have and abundance of LD so why not move one that could give you a Return. Opposed to moving Reilly and having to add another player as a sweetener

He is not a player I feel comfortable with if you are trying to go for a long playoff run

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
The Capitals lost forward Connor Brown for 6-8 months and T.J. Oshie is out indefinitely with a lower-body injury, the Caps said Monday.

The Capitals are already playing without forwards Tom Wilson (knee) and Nicklas Backstrom (hip), who are also on IR. and forward Carl Hagelin (hip).

Now is the time to move Smith to the Caps for a pick or future considerations. Run with Greer, Lauko or Steen. Smith's cap hit has to go even if just to offset the bonuses for Krech and Bergy this year rather than next.

Reilly was out there for free earlier and no one was interested, Frederic has little value, same for Lauko or Steen. Smith is a name that could entice teams, Foligno is not a player any team really wants now either. So it is Smith or someone even higher up the food chain.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I am sorry for those that consider #48 a sacred cow as another poster described him. But moving him as a player that could possibly bring you a second in the up coming draft is still the move that , I would love too see the bruins make . They have and abundance of LD so why not move one that could give you a Return. Opposed to moving Reilly and having to add another player as a sweetener

He is not a player I feel comfortable with if you are trying to go for a long playoff run
I’m not interested in making the Bruins worse on purpose this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad