Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Was also great in 2019 when they got a win away from a cup.

I always find it funny how so many ignore the fact this team won 15 playoff games with a 3rd pair that was mainly Gryz and Clifton.
Did you watch that combination out on the ice last night ..............not encouraging

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No I didn't. But I also don't get worked up over mistakes made in one particular game.

Both Gryz and Clifton are solid everyday players in the NHL and have been for awhile now.
I like Gryz ,I think he is a solid smart player ,he size does hurt him at times , I applaud Clifton for bodychecking but overall I am not a fan and certainly do not think the two of them should be out on the ice together ..........I know some fans to do not agree with Gryz contract but that does not take away from his on ice ability ...........

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Could be in the Minority, but dont really see a trade of Reilly (if he is the one being floated) being affected or delayed. by forbort injury as Reilly doesn't really replace what forbort gives you, outside of just being a LHD at the NHL level.

Unless the injury is severe enough that they maneuver themselves around LTIRing Forbort to activate mcavoy and saving more time for an inevitable trade.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The only moves I could see Boston making that are major (outside of becoming cap compliant)
1. RW for Bergy and Marchy- allowing Debrusk to slot in with Coyle and Zacha. The thought of having Patty Kane ride shotgun with Bergy and Marchy, then rolling out Hall-Krejci-Pasta is video game level sick. Can't see it happening but if he ever pulled a Hall and demanded Boston, you never know.
2. RW upgrade for Zacha-Coyle. Smith has been a ghost all season and I could see Boston trying to grab an upgrade there if they could dump Smith
3. Whether it be Lindholm-McAvoy and Gryz-Carlo or Gryz-McAvoy and Lindholm-Carlo, I could see the Bruins attempting to make a deal to upgrade on Gryz. Great player, thinks he gets overmatched in some playoff series that get rough and tougher.
4. Potential 4th line tough guy/13th forward
1&2. I think Debrusk stays with Bergy / Marchand. He got his resurgence there, and to be honest, he's good, but part of his struggles before aside from personal issues, was not fitting on the line he was on. Not saying he's the only option there, but that may be the best fit for him on this roster at the moment.

Cap wise, I see absolutely no way Kane comes here unless they retain 50% AND we give them exactly all the contracts we don't want. Seems more of a Fantasy hockey trade than one that could realistically happen. Unless there are some serious injuries in that position, just don't see it. I agree, RW is the spot they upgrade, but also probably involves sending Smith out; I'm guessing either he or Reilly are gone by the time McAvoy comes back. I think we are probably aiming to a better middle 6 RW, but with cap, again, probably difficult, unless we move BOTH Reilly and Smith out.

3. Grzelcyk is a polarizing player on this board it seems. Personally, I think he's fine, and with the current makeup of our D core (It's not like we are running Krug/Grzelcyk top 4 anymore), his skill set is something that helps us. Also vastly underrated, he's got his negatives, but his positives improve the team more than they hurt them. Grzelcyk in an offensive role makes us better. Again, if we could upgrade Gryzelcyk, we're probably going to need some names and some $, how many D making at or less than Grzelcyk are an upgrade? On top of that, how many of those players are available and that we have the assets to acquire?

4. I agree, just a non-every day kinda player that doesn't hurt them on the ice, but can provide some needed heaviness to help weardown opponents, especially playoff time.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I like Gryz ,I think he is a solid smart player ,he size does hurt him at times , I applaud Clifton for bodychecking but overall I am not a fan and certainly do not think the two of them should be out on the ice together ..........I know some fans to do not agree with Gryz contract but that does not take away from his on ice ability ...........

Clifton was playing with Forbort until he got hurt.

With only 5 defensemen, everyone gets match with everyone else at some time during the game.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Could be in the Minority, but dont really see a trade of Reilly (if he is the one being floated) being affected or delayed. by forbort injury as Reilly doesn't really replace what forbort gives you, outside of just being a LHD at the NHL level.

Unless the injury is severe enough that they maneuver themselves around LTIRing Forbort to activate mcavoy and saving more time for an inevitable trade.
It will depend on how long Forbort is out and if they can/will LTIR him.

Even so, they need/should be making cap space; so if he's the guy out, give Zboril the minutes, he needs NHL time.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I've been trying to make sense of the LTIR pool repercussions of either Forbort or Swayman going on LTIR. If in theory one does go on before Charlie's return, it's not that simple right? I think Dom mentioned it before.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I have no idea if the numbers will back this up or not, but to me it seems like the league has reverted back to the 80's ---- a time where 5-4 games were the norm, and overall the goaltending and defense were not great.

Now before you say Ray Bourque, Rod Langway, Andy Moog, Reggie Lemelin or Grant Fuhr --- let me clarify.

I'm talking "overall" and relevant to today's talent.

I said it years ago and continue to believe it ---- you could take the back up goalie from 10 teams today and if you magically dropped them onto a team in 1984 they'd likely be a Vezina candidate. That's how far I think goaltending has come since that time.

In relevance to today, the skaters are so much more talented (top to bottom) than the players in that era, that I think we're at a time where the strength of offense versus defense and goaltending is about as far apart as it was in the 80's.

The reason I bring this up here is this. In my humble opinion, I think that despite Grzelcyk's historical difficulty in the playoffs -- I think the league is at a point where even playoff games will be more wide open than they have been in quite a while. And while I don't think it's going to be dramatically different this year versus last, I think the trend is going to continue toward a more offensive game, even in the post season.

In a nutshell, I'd keep Grzelcyk because I think the game is trending into something that suits his skill set better than it did in the past.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Was also great in 2019 when they got a win away from a cup.

I always find it funny how so many ignore the fact this team won 15 playoff games with a 3rd pair that was mainly Gryz and Clifton
I have no idea if the numbers will back this up or not, but to me it seems like the league has reverted back to the 80's ---- a time where 5-4 games were the norm, and overall the goaltending and defense were not great.

Now before you say Ray Bourque, Rod Langway, Andy Moog, Reggie Lemelin or Grant Fuhr --- let me clarify.

I said it years ago and continue to believe it ---- you could take the back up goalie from 10 teams today and if you magically dropped them onto a team in 1984 they'd likely be a Vezina candidate. That's how far I think goaltending has come since that time.

In relevance to today, the skaters are so much more talented (top to bottom) than the players in that era, that I think we're at a time where the strength of offense versus defense and goaltending is about as far apart as it was in the 80's.

The reason I bring this up here is this. In my humble opinion, I think that despite Grzelcyk's historical difficulty in the playoffs -- I think the league is at a point where even playoff games will be more wide open than they have been in quite a while. And while I don't think it's going to be dramatically different this year versus last, I think the trend is going to continue toward a more offensive game, even in the post season.

In a nutshell, I'd keep Grzelcyk because I think the game is trending into something that suits his skill set better than it did in the past.
Grzelcyk was very good in 2019 playoffs against big heavy teams

Clifton got abused by islanders games 4-6 all loses when Carlo went out and islanders plan was to get Barzal against Cliffy - whereas when Carlo was in there it was to avoid him

Clifton Is high end third pair - fits exactly what you need

Grzelcyk is a Swiss Army knife who’s hit high hockey IQ and is elite at two things - transition and neutral zone defense

He also when paired with McAvoy is top or near the top in several categories

He’s short and his dad worked for the Bruins

That’s it

99.9 % of those not liking Grzelcyk fall under this or can’t grasp what they are watching which is ok - I can’t grasp soccer

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The only moves I could see Boston making that are major (outside of becoming cap compliant)
1. RW for Bergy and Marchy- allowing Debrusk to slot in with Coyle and Zacha. The thought of having Patty Kane ride shotgun with Bergy and Marchy, then rolling out Hall-Krejci-Pasta is video game level sick. Can't see it happening but if he ever pulled a Hall and demanded Boston, you never know.
2. RW upgrade for Zacha-Coyle. Smith has been a ghost all season and I could see Boston trying to grab an upgrade there if they could dump Smith
3. Whether it be Lindholm-McAvoy and Gryz-Carlo or Gryz-McAvoy and Lindholm-Carlo, I could see the Bruins attempting to make a deal to upgrade on Gryz. Great player, thinks he gets overmatched in some playoff series that get rough and tougher.
DeBrusk fits very well with 37 & 46

Fantastic skills compliment to those two

The right side looks set once Pastrnak signs for years

Maybe Lysell who looks to me watching him in Providence twice so far is going to be dynamic / will go with Bergeron & Marchand next season but right now DeBrusk is an excellent fit with his speed, shot, Hockey smarts and 200 foot game

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
So good in fact that Blues even admitted Griz was the Bruin they were focusing on the most going into the SCF. Can't remember if it was a player or Berube who said that. In any case Griz was insanely good in that playoff run. Total thorn in the side for the opposition. No accident whatsoever that Sundqvist headshotted him. Just like it was no accident that Blais checked Backes in the face, Perron et al ran Rask, and Schenn tried to wreck Pasta, but missed.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So good in fact that Blues even admitted Griz was the Bruin they were focusing on the most going into the SCF. Can't remember if it was a player or Berube who said that. In any case Griz was insanely good in that playoff run. Total thorn in the side for the opposition. No accident whatsoever that Sundqvist headshotted him. Just like it was no accident that Blais checked Backes in the face, Perron et al ran Rask, and Schenn tried to wreck Pasta, but missed.
and the bruins transition game tanked after gryz was taken out.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Excellent post. I agree about Gryz. I also have tried to figure out why the league play has opened up again. Usually there are corresponding rule changes, or massive coaching changes in the change in playing style. It is not the case this time.
"In relevance to today, the skaters are so much more talented (top to bottom) than the players in that era, that I think we're at a time where the strength of offense versus defense and goaltending is about as far apart as it was in the 80's."

I think it is the greater skill at the bottom of lineups as well, and a few more coaches, like JM, going back to man on man elements to break the stranglehold of zone in the league.

Last edited:

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I think my biggest concern is trying to fit Bergeron and Krejcis bonuses under this years cap instead of next year. If one or both retire I want lots of space to potentially sign a big time UFA. How does the cap space work for that this year. Say we have 8mill in deadline space, is that actual space we can include those bonuses in? I think that’s a determining factor if we move Smith along with Reilly. Reilly is gone no matter what in my mind just to activate McAvoy
We’re all in this year. No way do I want bonuses on this year’s cap. Add a couple of pieces at the deadline and roll.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA

Clifton got abused by islanders games 4-6 all loses when Carlo went out and islanders plan was to get Barzal against Cliffy - whereas when Carlo was in there it was to avoid him

Clifton Is high end third pair - fits exactly what you need

Grzelcyk is a Swiss Army knife who’s hit high hockey IQ and is elite at two things - transition and neutral zone defense

He also when paired with McAvoy is top or near the top in several categories

He’s short and his dad worked for the Bruins

That’s it

99.9 % of those not liking Grzelcyk fall under this or can’t grasp what they are watching which is ok - I can’t grasp soccer
Grz certainly provides value, no doubt has a place on the team. But, as you mentioned in 2018-19, he played 16 mins of ice time per his 20 playoff games. That's what he needs to get back to. Not the 19 mins to 20 mins he has the last 3 years. The addition of Lindholm and a healthy Carlo will make sure the team get the most of Grz in a 3rd pairing, swiss army role.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Is there really a need to "upgrade" JDB? Who is going to be better than he's been thus far and for a price we can afford. This isn't about going all in this year we have a young core to continue to build moving forward. I agree with an upgrade on the 3rd line but we have young players like Greer, Lauko, McLaughlin etc. That can fill that roll. Maybe an extra vet forward for the bottom 6 that brings more than Smith (Recchi like) for cheap and a vet Dman to help with injuries.

Our top 6 is stacked and we have one of the best 3rd line centers imo in the league. The top 4 when healthy is dangerous but everyone insists upgrading Gryz so maybe that's the big move we make this season if any. A 1RW is too expensive and not needed.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I like how quickly Monty adjusts his lineup. I think you can start games...

Gryz - Mac
Lind - Carlo
Forb - Cliffy

Then switch to a more defensive top4 to protect leads.

Forb - Mac
Lind - Carlo

I know Forbort was kryptonite for McAvoy last year but maybe the new and improved DF will be a better fit.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like how quickly Monty adjusts his lineup. I think you can start games...

Gryz - Mac
Lind - Carlo
Forb - Cliffy

Then switch to a more defensive top4 to protect leads.

Forb - Mac
Lind - Carlo

I know Forbort was kryptonite for McAvoy last year but maybe the new and improved DF will be a better fit.
I think it’s more start with Grizz-Chuck and then go to Chuck-Hamp to protect

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So they have stuck Forbort on IR (I guess for 7+ days). Does that automatically kick the can down now for Charlie should he play Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad