Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
That D without Carlo gives me more than heartburn , but having all those centers just makes me warm and fuzzy , so now I can go in hibernation knowing we are all good at center next year , and forget about this year...........what the heck......

You forget about this year and you’re wasting what could be the last year of Bergeron.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The cap is certainly not a different issue . The issue is always what does X player provide for what value towards winning a Stanley Cup . I think that is what some posters here forget.

To go back to your original post is a team better served with Clifton at a cap hit of 1 mill or Gryz at 3.687mil ,per season
You are going to tell me Clifton moves you closer to the cup than Gryz..................I don't think so not even close .

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Someone has actually called the Bruins looking for a defenceman. The Bruins are rich back there once McAvoy returns. But who......

Getting a call doesn't mean it's a good offer though.

If I'm remembering correctly, and honestly the only reason Debrusk is still here, we got some offers, but none of them actually made us better. (I think I remember a rumor of Colin Miller + 3rd being the best they had offered)

Bruins need to clear cap, that's no secret, but I'd be impressed if the Bruins ended up "better" after clearing cap. Lateral w/cap space is the hopeful expectation.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Who was the last SC winning team that had a 5-9 defenseman in their top 4 ? (the wings had a guy 5-9 or so on the third pair vs the Pens, irc). I mean sad to say, but he is small. Doesn't make him bad. I still say you put him on the 3rd pair and take advantage of third lines in the playoffs, and I think he is a much better option that Zboril and Reilly because being bigger obvi doesn't make you better always.

please don't bring up the fact that Gryz has been on the ice for 26 goals for in the playoffs and 47 goals against in the play-offs even strength in his career, those numbers mean nothing. The real stat is when he is on the ice, the team has more chances!

You say this, but they win the Cup in 2019 if he doesn't get taken out by that dirty Sundqvist hit.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Do we need to trade Smith or Reilly so we can use that money for Bergeron and Krejci's bonuses and to avoid penalties next year? I believe that LTIR space can't be used for that correct?

I'd actually keep Smith around because thats the type of player we always trade for at the TDL and hes not a bad 'odd man out.'

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Do we need to trade Smith or Reilly so we can use that money for Bergeron and Krejci's bonuses and to avoid penalties next year? I believe that LTIR space can't be used for that correct?

I'd actually keep Smith around because thats the type of player we always trade for at the TDL and hes not a bad 'odd man out.'
The answer is yes. I really want to keep Smith but when you factor in the benefits for now and next year, along with not being a favorite of the coach, he is almost certainly gone.

Reactions: wintersej

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The answer is yes. I really want to keep Smith but when you factor in the benefits for now and next year, along with not being a favorite of the coach, he is almost certainly gone.

Yeah if keeping him means we lose 2+ mil cap space next year I don't think its a hard call.

The bottom 6 looks great so far I'm not sure why we have not been able to get it right for years. Cassidy sort of always found a way to screw it up despite having some decent players. We'd see our depth players leave and be great on their next team. Last 2 playoffs especially it seems like the other teams depth players dominated ours and its not like we saw a powerhouse like Tampa we were better than any of those teams and our first line did their thing.

Reactions: HustleB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s not anyone OR Reilly. It’s Reilly. And maybe someone else. The Bruins have showed they’re not going to make their vets play in the A, and they’re not trading another defenseman. Can’t carry 9. Trading Reilly covers McAvoy and leaves some space for the deadline or to bonuses.

They don’t need to trade Smith - it comes at the cost of Lauko being on the roster but if necessary we can ride that out. Can include him in a deal at the deadline for cap reasons if necessary - not a lot of cash left by then. Much easier to move then than now.

But if they can find a taker It makes all the sense in the world. Good depth on that side and trading him now would give us more than $6.5M at the deadline to add. Is that worth a 3rd in 2024 as a sweetener? That’s a pretty reasonable question.

In any other year but this cap frozen year he’s dealt already. But if you end up having to pay and/or retain to move Reilly, tough to also add to move Smith.

I don’t think this is anything like having to pay to move Beleskey or Backes by the way - these are two NHL players who should be in an NHL lineup somewhere. We just happen to have recruited over them so to speak. These deals aren’t a mistake and they’re fair value in the marketplace. Both players could play several more years in the league.

For a team as stacked as this playing this well, being able to cover the bonuses this year instead of next keeps the franchise moving ahead. Having $6-7M in cap space at the deadline gives you a chance to push your chips all in if the right player is available. The versatility you open up at the cost of Craig Smith, Mike Reilly, and a couple picks/prospects is worth it I think.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Yeah if keeping him means we lose 2+ mil cap space next year I don't think its a hard call.

The bottom 6 looks great so far I'm not sure why we have not been able to get it right for years. Cassidy sort of always found a way to screw it up despite having some decent players. We'd see our depth players leave and be great on their next team. Last 2 playoffs especially it seems like the other teams depth players dominated ours and its not like we saw a powerhouse like Tampa we were better than any of those teams and our first line did their thing.
I disagree with you completely about the quality of our depth players, and being better on their next team. Blidh is the only one who got a chance, and he got cut. Do not get me started about the awful Nick Ritchie.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I disagree with you completely about the quality of our depth players, and being better on their next team. Blidh is the only one who got a chance, and he got cut. Do not get me started about the awful Nick Ritchie.
I meant a little earlier and guys like Acciari going off when he got to Florida or Vatrano. It trended down for sure.

Kuraly was unplayable at the end for us but did OK in Columbus. I swear that Islanders series him and Wagner allowed a goal or took a penalty every freaking shift.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
I meant a little earlier and guys like Acciari going off when he got to Florida or Vatrano. It trended down for sure.

Kuraly was unplayable at the end for us but did OK in Columbus. I swear that Islanders series him and Wagner allowed a goal or took a penalty every freaking shift.
I agree about the players you mentioned. Acciari in particular drove his line, and had a few years left.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
As of 5 am Thursday morning. Projected space is the number that would need to be moved. Injuries changed everything.
Bruins Cap.PNG

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
As of 5 am Thursday morning. Projected space is the number that would need to be moved. Injuries changed everything.View attachment 602509
The easy choice is C Smith however I might be one of few here who believes in him/is needed. The other option is Reilly however D men are much harder to find. Reilly has been decent this year. Not sure it's the right time to trade him.

It has to be a combination of Reilly and one of Frederic or Greer. Greer has faded lately.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
As of 5 am Thursday morning. Projected space is the number that would need to be moved. Injuries changed everything.View attachment 602509

Ok I get it now. The injuries are in fact worse since they aren't LTIR, and you have to call up salary. Damn yo!

My gut says they're gonna stall on Charlie over make a really bad trade. With surgery Forbort is almost certainly going on LTIR right?

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I know everyone is all pumped up , me included over this seasons start , but lets be honest Donnie has really painted himself into a corner with the cap issues..............Must be addressed now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The easy choice is C Smith however I might be one of few here who believes in him/is needed. The other option is Reilly however D men are much harder to find. Reilly has been decent this year. Not sure it's the right time to trade him.

It has to be a combination of Reilly and one of Frederic or Greer. Greer has faded lately.
The thing here is we need to shed cap first and foremost.

And now more we originally thought.

Nick Foligno makes about exactly what we need to get rid of. The unfortunate part, I still don't think a team would take him from us without a sweetener.

That leaves at least one of Reilly or Smith. And regardless of if they would be "nice depth" for a playoff run, they are excess cap on a cap strapped team.

Throw in the idea of Frederic, the cap savings is minimal (compared to Smith or Reilly), and Frederic can play C (both valuable for the present and future). Unless we are replacing Frederic in the trade, I'm not a fan of that move either, as it affords us less wiggle room again.

Lastly.

Hypothetically, are we under cap if we shove Reilly and Foligno in the minors? Anymore? Or do the injuries screw that up?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The thing here is we need to shed cap first and foremost.

And now more we originally thought.

Nick Foligno makes about exactly what we need to get rid of. The unfortunate part, I still don't think a team would take him from us without a sweetener.

That leaves at least one of Reilly or Smith. And regardless of if they would be "nice depth" for a playoff run, they are excess cap on a cap strapped team.

Throw in the idea of Frederic, the cap savings is minimal (compared to Smith or Reilly), and Frederic can play C (both valuable for the present and future). Unless we are replacing Frederic in the trade, I'm not a fan of that move either, as it affords us less wiggle room again.

Lastly.

Hypothetically, are we under cap if we shove Reilly and Foligno in the minors? Anymore? Or do the injuries screw that up?
It’s still get rid of Reilly completely and we’re compliant. The number moved because he was brought back up. That’s all.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
People need to stop on the Foligno stuff. Guys nothing is happening to Foligno. He's literally the heartbeat of the team. He's the second last guy everyone sees coming off the ice, and might as well be co-captain practically. They are never going to risk losing what he's brought to the room. There aren't a lot of guys that lead like him on this team.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I am sorry for those that consider #48 a sacred cow as another poster described him. But moving him as a player that could possibly bring you a second in the up coming draft is still the move that , I would love too see the bruins make . They have and abundance of LD so why not move one that could give you a Return. Opposed to moving Reilly and having to add another player as a sweetener

He is not a player I feel comfortable with if you are trying to go for a long playoff run
I need a 1st at least for #48 , I'll keep him if all I'm getting is a 2nd.

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It’s still get rid of Reilly completely and we’re compliant. The number moved because he was brought back up. That’s all.
The number also moved because Kincaid was brought up at Lauko.

Lauko can't go down until Nov 7 when Krejci comes off IR. Kincaid won't go down until Swayman is cleared.

It's not just Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad