Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Smith suits up but barely plays a couple of minutes a game. Gotta be him that they waive or trade next.
I mean I can't see him having much/any value either. He's suiting up for a few minutes a game.

If there's someone interested, hopefully they get that done, but the actualization that Bruins cast offs aren't worth a lot right now.

How much does cutting Smith save us on the cap? Is it enough?
Don't have the numbers in front of me. But I THINK Smith alone would. Cap hit is 3.1

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I mean I can't see him having much/any value either. He's suiting up for a few minutes a game.

If there's someone interested, hopefully they get that done, but the actualization that Bruins cast offs aren't worth a lot right now.

Don't have the numbers in front of me. But I THINK Smith alone would. Cap hit is 3.1
Probably need to waive stralman or zboril as they need to call up Lauko. The beauty is, if they all clear, they'd be able to recall them for playoff depth

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I wonder if Chicago would take Reilly if we attached Steen or Lauko to the deal? Sucks giving up a prospect but neither are deal breakers for me, but Chicago may want to give them a look?

Craig Smith to Anaheim/Arizona/Buffalo makes a ton of sense. Let him go play top 6/9 minutes and then flip him at the deadline for an asset if possible.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bruins should be getting back a hold of the Sens and see if they can work something out with Reilly going back there. Chabot just went down with a concussion and the Sens defense is a fat mess and they do have playoff aspirations despite coming out of the gate slowly again

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Smith suits up but barely plays a couple of minutes a game. Gotta be him that they waive or trade next.
Only issue is by skill usefulness along he is technically only the 2nd Right handed right side guy on the team. trade/sit him and you've got one right hander in RW (Pasta). Not necessarily an issue in positional/set plays since you can lean on Krejci/Bergy/Coyle as a RW in a pinch but not on a regular line rush.

Nothing wrong with LHs in a RW set up, just that with Smith gone the bruins have literally 1

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I wonder if Chicago would take Reilly if we attached Steen or Lauko to the deal? Sucks giving up a prospect but neither are deal breakers for me, but Chicago may want to give them a look?

Craig Smith to Anaheim/Arizona/Buffalo makes a ton of sense. Let him go play top 6/9 minutes and then flip him at the deadline for an asset if possible.
I’m not giving up Lauko but Chicago would be a good play. I wonder if taking back Colin Blackwell as part of the deal would help. He’s making $1.2 million this year and next and hasn’t worked out well for them. That way Chicago is sending at least some cap back. Blackwell could be sent to the minors with his money coming off the cap and a sweetener like a Steen could possibly go with Reilly to make it work.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Only issue is by skill usefulness along he is technically only the 2nd Right handed right side guy on the team. trade/sit him and you've got one right hander in RW (Pasta). Not necessarily an issue in positional/set plays since you can lean on Krejci/Bergy/Coyle as a RW in a pinch but not on a regular line rush.

Nothing wrong with LHs in a RW set up, just that with Smith gone the bruins have literally 1
While true, they've also got 90% of the wingers down in Providence being right shots or functional on the right side.

Steen, Merkulov, Lysell, the Mayor and McLaughlin are all right shots. All except for Wagner could slot in on the third line while having a decent shot at injecting something into the lineup Smith is not currently providing. They've also got Lauko, who can play his off side.

There's a lot of right shot depth waiting behind Craig Smith.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
While true, they've also got 90% of the wingers down in Providence being right shots or functional on the right side.

Steen, Merkulov, Lysell, the Mayor and McLaughlin are all right shots. All except for Wagner could slot in on the third line while having a decent shot at injecting something into the lineup Smith is not currently providing. They've also got Lauko, who can play his off side.

There's a lot of right shot depth waiting behind Craig Smith.
Wagner is basically free to anyone after the last two years of being "buried" Cap

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

There's a lot of right shot depth waiting behind Craig Smith

I dont think they have plans on Steen, Wagner or McLaughlin filling in on the right side of the top six in a pinch. Merkulov is a LW and Lysell they wont rush. on the NHL roster today its Pasta and Smith, if they get rid of smith they will look to bring in another right handed NHL player either as part of the deal or a followup.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Not a chance I move Lauko especially to dump a contract. Just attach a pick and be done with it. I would rather see Smith moved tbh he seems to be less of a need and the odd man out unfortunately, and we have a good amount of forwards ready to go if Smith is moved (Lauko)

Reactions: wintersej

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I dont think they have plans on Steen, Wagner or McLaughlin filling in on the right side of the top six in a pinch. Merkulov is a LW and Lysell they wont rush. on the NHL roster today its Pasta and Smith, if they get rid of smith they will look to bring in another right handed NHL player either as part of the deal or a followup.
The only kind of player they can afford if Smith is dealt for space would be someone ~$1m, so if they aren't in love with the idea of their own cheap guys filling in, why would they be gung ho for someone else's?

I get that they ideally want Lysell's deal to slide this season. And no, Steen isn't a great fill in for the top 6. Despite Merkulov playing LW recently, he's more than capable of playing the right side. He's done it in both Providence and Ohio, if I'm not misremembering things.

They aren't going to have a lot of options, as they haven't had deadline cap space banked. Things could certainly change, but you're looking at bargain bin level additions at this point. With Smith playing at a bargain bin level lately, the drop off should be negligible, excepting Smith's annual heater.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Any chance Toronto calls about Reilly?

Muzzin's out indefinitely...
Reilly, when he’s on, can make really nice outlet passes. Would mesh very well with Toronto’s offensive game.

Of course he’s also a bit of a defensive liability, which……… meshes very well with Toronto’s philosophy with how to play defense.

Paging GM. Dumbass………. Mr. Kyle Dumbass to the phone please.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The only kind of player they can afford if Smith is dealt for space would be someone ~$1m, so if they aren't in love with the idea of their own cheap guys filling in, why would they be gung ho for someone else's?

I get that they ideally want Lysell's deal to slide this season. And no, Steen isn't a great fill in for the top 6. Despite Merkulov playing LW recently, he's more than capable of playing the right side. He's done it in both Providence and Ohio, if I'm not misremembering things.

They aren't going to have a lot of options, as they haven't had deadline cap space banked. Things could certainly change, but you're looking at bargain bin level additions at this point. With Smith playing at a bargain bin level lately, the drop off should be negligible, excepting Smith's annual heater.
If you can get Reilly and Smith moved you can afford a very good addition - think something like Kane 50% retained. Chance of that big an add is remote given the assets required, both to get contracts out and then to get the player, but barring major injury any major add the Bruins do would be more of a luxury item.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think if Smith goes you’ll be fine with Pasta as the only RH winger. The top three centers are both right handed so it’s balanced amongst the top nine.

And as others have said you still have McLaughlin, Steen and Wagner available for 4th line duties. Lysell obviously a long shot but there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad