Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I could see Reilly to a lower team for say Reilly and a 3rd for a 5th. Next year said lower team could flip him at trade deadline since he would be on expiring contract. Maybe he gets them back a 3rd/4th next year. So by taking on Reilly for this year, half of next, they could move up in the draft and add another pick at trade deadline next season.....

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What's the + we are gonna tack on to take Smith or Reilly (the most likely moved)

Wonder if Sweeney's 4D chess move was to sign Miller and moving one of our own viable prospects to help take a contract. Only to have it blow up in his face.
Not claiming to know how and if this is possible , but I think teams just are not going to move on Reilly at this time . I guess other GMs do not see what Sweeney saw in him. What is the possibility of a package Gryz and Smith , I know it is not a easy move to make but does anyone think it is possible ? I also have always liked both players but sometimes you have to make tough decisions. I think many forget that Smith did score 15 goals last year and is a FA after this year ,also Gryz is healthy this year where last year was not the case. This would also buy sometime and maybe as the season goes on someone may come knocking on the door for Reilly,who I am not a fan of...........

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Reilly's owed cash next season is only around $2.7m if you buy him out next summer, so the $4m base salary next season is moot.

He also had a $250k bonus paid this summer, so this season's salary is slightly lower.

I still say Smith should be the one to go, as they have plenty of 3RW types available and few NHL ready defensemen, should the injury bug come calling.

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Reilly's owed cash next season is only around $2.7m if you buy him out next summer, so the $4m base salary next season is moot.

He also had a $250k bonus pad this summer, so this season's salary is slightly slow.

I still say Smith should be the one to go, as they have plenty of 3RW types available and few NHL ready defensemen, should the injury bug come calling.
I personally say if we can move both of them, do it.

Right now either/or is fine.

Without retention we at least know with certainty that Reilly isn't worth anything to another team with his current contract.

Last edited:

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
CBJ just lost their LD to injury for rest of year. They'll have $$. If front office feels like this is the last year to send it, I go to CBJ and try to trade Reilly, Smith, Wagner +++ for Nyquist. Solves our cap issue and gives us a really solid 3rd line with Zacha Coyle Nyquist. They can play Reilly and hopefully raise is value or send him down to AHL. Smith could also be flipped at deadline retained. Wagner could be played in a 4th line role or buried. Both Smith and Wagner expire this year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
CBJ just lost their LD to injury for rest of year. They'll have $$. If front office feels like this is the last year to send it, I go to CBJ and try to trade Reilly, Smith, Wagner +++ for Nyquist. Solves our cap issue and gives us a really solid 3rd line with Zacha Coyle Nyquist. They can play Reilly and hopefully raise is value or send him down to AHL. Smith could also be flipped at deadline retained. Wagner could be played in a 4th line role or buried. Both Smith and Wagner expire this year.
I don't think the Bruins need Nyquist.

According to Capfriendly, CLB only has $1.7m in LTIR cap space, so it doesn't look like they could add Reilly without dumping money or us retaining half his salary which wouldn't save us much more than just leaving him in Providence.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015

According to Capfriendly, CLB only has $1.7m in LTIR cap space, so it doesn't look like they could add Reilly without dumping money or us retaining half his salary which wouldn't save us much more than just leaving him in Providence.

Gus would of been the smith replacement. They also haven't moved Werenski to LTIR yet according to capfriendly.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Mike Reilly at 4LW
I've honestly wondered why he's a defenseman and not a forward. I think he'd be better as a winger.

If I remember correctly, I don't think Capfriendly has Werenski on LTIR yet, so they should have more space.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Enjoy Clifton while he is playing well , I think the shine will be off him at some point especially if he plays top four minutes .............
Clifton is here to stay. His only weakness is he sometimes seems to take himself out of position to crush a guy. I noticed this year he hasn’t being doing that. He is a top tier skater and handles the puck well. The new coach loves this guy.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Clifton is here to stay. His only weakness is he sometimes seems to take himself out of position to crush a guy. I noticed this year he hasn’t being doing that. He is a top tier skater and handles the puck well. The new coach loves this guy.
How much are you willing to pay him next year ? My fear and it justified with Sweeney past signings it will get stupid . In my eyes not worth the risk , he will be 28 at the end of this year............

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
How much are you willing to pay him next year ? My fear and it justified with Sweeney past signings it will get stupid . In my eyes not worth the risk , he will be 28 at the end of this year............
I don’t know. Let me see at the end of the year. I’m more concerned about signing a centre if I’m the gm. I’d low ball offer him tbh. Let him walk if he doesn’t sign. Boston is deep on d. He is like the 6th best defender maybe. It’s not a big deal if he walks.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I don’t know. Let me see at the end of the year. I’m more concerned about signing a centre if I’m the gm. I’d low ball offer him tbh. Let him walk if he doesn’t sign. Boston is deep on d. He is like the 6th best defender maybe. It’s not a big deal if he walks.
Unless you can move Reilly or Gryz let him walk ,and if there is interest at the deadline move him ..............maybe you can get something that will help you get that center they are going to need.

Reactions: Kegs

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Nick Blakenburg is now out 6-8 weeks for CBJ. Boqvist on LTIR. Werenski out for the year. Three defenseman on emergency loans per cap friendly, one being Jiricek, their 6th overall pick in 2022.

I get they're probably tanking for Bedard now but Reilly would probably help them out...especially on their powerplay, which I saw last was even on the year. Two PP goals and two SHG allowed....
Jiricek, as you recall, made his NHL Debut the night we were in Columbus.....

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Bruins have to clear cap someway. No one wants Reilly. Moving Smith could be a possibility, but Forbort is someone who has looked a lot better under Montgomery than with Cassidy. If a team is looking for a defenseman that could shore up their 3rd-pairing or be a #4D on a team with multiple high-end #1-3D, then Forbort makes a lot of sense and has more value.

If the Bruins plan to bolster their lineup, I could see Reilly and Smith being moved at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad