Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lindholm/Carlo
Grizz/McAvoy
Forbort/Cliffy

.......there. Problem solved.

Lindholm/Carlo hasn’t been very good. No matter what metric you look at, +\-, Corsi, Scoring Chances, High Danger Scoring Chances, that pairing is giving up 2 for every 1 they get. That’s REALLY bad. Small sample? Sure. But I think it’s like Forbort/McAvoy, it’s more puck moving than he can handle essentially alone against top competition.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I think moving carlo (and smith) could be the answer-

Who does he actively pair well with on this roster?

Trading carlo leaves you with a

GryZ/Mac
Lindholm/clifton
Forbort/acquisition (but cheap, another teams clifton type)

Reilly
Stralman

This works for me because you have several pairs that work and depth- gryz looked pretty good with lindholm briefly and even tho I’m not the biggest reilly guy- reilly/mac has always been a fairly solid pairing since mcavoy can seemingly carry anyone.

Lastly- forbort seems like a perfect guy for a younger defenseman to play with. Getting another clifton type - younger and inconsistent - with him might be beneficial for us long term on the right side if forbort can kinda bring them along.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sturm und Drang

Aug 9, 2008
I don’t understand the right D pairings when everyone is healthy.

I want to have Lindholm and McAvoy in different pairs.

Lindholm and Cliffy has worked better than Lindholm and Carlo by a good margin.

Forbort and McAvoy didn’t work well last year.

Forbort and Carlo don’t work.

Forbort works with Clifton.

Just seems like you either have to have a Lindholm/McAvoy super pairing (Gryz/Carlo, Forbort/Clifton), or a Lindholm/Carlo pairing that has seen Lindholm’s offense dry up. All I want to do is keep Lindholm and Clifton together but don’t see how it works.
I think Reilly is the best partner for Carlo if you have Lindholm with Clifton. I know Reilly is currently seen as the odd man out, but he and Carlo have complementary skill sets and were effective together last year.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think moving carlo (and smith) could be the answer-

Who does he actively pair well with on this roster?

Trading carlo leaves you with a

GryZ/Mac
Lindholm/clifton
Forbort/acquisition (but cheap, another teams clifton type)

Reilly
Stralman

This works for me because you have several pairs that work and depth- gryz looked pretty good with lindholm briefly and even tho I’m not the biggest reilly guy- reilly/mac has always been a fairly solid pairing since mcavoy can seemingly carry anyone.

Lastly- forbort seems like a perfect guy for a younger defenseman to play with. Getting another clifton type - younger and inconsistent - with him might be beneficial for us long term on the right side if forbort can kinda bring them along.

Moving Forbort is another option.

Gryz McAvoy
Lindholm Clifton
Reilly Carlo

Reactions: dangermike

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Would Brandon Carlo for Scott Mayfield +2nd make sense?
Boston gets a big, nasty, shutdown type dman who's cheap and is a pending UFA + 2nd which they dont have
Islanders get a signed Carlo
Bruins get 2.65 in cap relief with the deal as well

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Lindholm/Carlo hasn’t been very good. No matter what metric you look at, +\-, Corsi, Scoring Chances, High Danger Scoring Chances, that pairing is giving up 2 for every 1 they get. That’s REALLY bad. Small sample? Sure. But I think it’s like Forbort/McAvoy, it’s more puck moving than he can handle essentially alone against top competition.
They are a +1 together with a 48% corsi and a 52% scoring chances. There high danger scoring chances is poor but when they get only 36% offensive zone start then these numbers won't be good. Also this is for 5 on 5 because when they are on the PK together the numbers will look worse due to being a man down. Also Carlos and Grzs are numbers are good together.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They are a +1 together with a 48% corsi and a 52% scoring chances. There high danger scoring chances is poor but when they get only 36% offensive zone start then these numbers won't be good. Also this is for 5 on 5 because when they are on the PK together the numbers will look worse due to being a man down. Also Carlos and Grzs are numbers are good together.

I was looking at over the past two seasons for a larger sample size. Its kind of at that small sample size where a few good or bad games can make the stats wildly different. What is pretty clear is that Lindholm/Clifton has been AWESOME with 39% offensive zone starts.

edit: what isn't so clear is who they are being assigned to. If Lindholm/Carlo is going against top lines more aggressively, that obviously is going to change things. Something to continue to watch, at least.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why are we looking to deal any of our defensemen not named Reilly?
Why are we looking to deal any of our defensemen not named Reilly?

Because every option needs to be considered and weighed against other options.

Unfortunately, I am having this debate in other places.

As a fan, you either want your GM to do his job or you don't. If you do, he's exploring every option.

I love you Lou!!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

As a fan, you either want your GM to do his job or you don't. If you do, he's exploring every option.

I love you Lou!!

I would have to see the return for sure, but point taken.

Also, who is the GM right now? :)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I would have to see the return for sure, but point taken.

Also, who is the GM right now? :)
LOL, you're not suckering me into answering that question!!

As of this morning, there are now 18 teams utilizing LTIR counting the Bruins.

There are 5 teams who do not have the cap space to take on what the Bruins need to do.

That leaves Sabres, Coyotes, Ducks, Wings, Hawks, Sens, Wild, Jets, Isles as the only teams that can absorb the money.

There are teams with LTIR space that could take on money, but they would be in the same boat as the Bruins when healthy.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
So I’ll admit not too familiar with cap rules etc.
why couldn’t they move Smith and Reilly to providenc?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I love you Lou!!

I agree GM should be looking at all options ,even as fans we might not too see certain player moved sometimes it is a must to do your job...........MaAvoy ,Lindholm- going no where . Have liked Gryz but injuries have effected although he seems healthy now , but his contract, size, and injuries make him a candidate to be moved . Carlo I know some fans are down on him for his physical play but still a quality d-man in my estimation ,his size ,youth and contract might bring a good return. (not in a rush do move ). Clifton will still be here unless he is part of a bigger package but does nothing help the cap , although I fear Sweeney is going to over pay for him at contract time..Forbot has played well and as someone posted he is a big body and helps on the PK ,but salary makes him an option. Reilly is a definite move, just finding a buyer is the problem...........I think to make a move to help the cap it be more than one body being moved . Smith is another contract to be moved, Iike Smith but again need cap relief ,I just not sure why a player who 16 goals last year is not being considered by other teams . I do not want to see draft picks being thrown around so easily just to make deal . Depending on the deal maybe Beecher, McLaughlin might be part of a move to sweeten the pot for some team to take on a contract.......

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Once Swayman is healthy, Kincaid will go back to Providence and for the Bruins to activate Forbort from LTIR they will need to clear about $1.4 million is cap space.

Reilly is already in Providence and sending Smith there would only clear about $900k so it would leave them 500k short.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

well Reilly is already there.
Smith they could waive and if nobody claims him could go. But you only save 1.1 per contract. You cant ‘bury ‘ an entire contract.
So if you do that with Smith and have someone to replace him the savings are minimal. Plus they are already down to 22 on the 23 man roster. Going to 21 is dangerous.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Lindholm remarkably hasn't had a minus game as a Bruin no matter who he's been paired with, but him and Cliffy are looking way to good together to break them up. Imo

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don’t understand the right D pairings when everyone is healthy.

I want to have Lindholm and McAvoy in different pairs.

Lindholm and Cliffy has worked better than Lindholm and Carlo by a good margin.

Forbort and McAvoy didn’t work well last year.

Forbort and Carlo don’t work.

Forbort works with Clifton.

Just seems like you either have to have a Lindholm/McAvoy super pairing (Gryz/Carlo, Forbort/Clifton), or a Lindholm/Carlo pairing that has seen Lindholm’s offense dry up. All I want to do is keep Lindholm and Clifton together but don’t see how it works.
with the way Monty matches up differently against different teams and has lines & pairs in a blender I kinda feel like none of this matters. They will find what works on a game by game and sometimes shift by shift basis.

small sample size + no McAvoy pair to fall back on (so stuck matching them against top lines). I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about. Also Lindholm has emerged as more of an offensive asset than anyone realized so I would expect going forward that Carlo will defer to him more as the puck mover where initially they were probably both trying to play the same role on the same pair.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
with the way Monty matches up differently against different teams and has lines & pairs in a blender I kinda feel like none of this matters. They will find what works on a game by game and sometimes shift by shift basis.

small sample size + no McAvoy pair to fall back on (so stuck matching them against top lines). I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about. Also Lindholm has emerged as more of an offensive asset than anyone realized so I would expect going forward that Carlo will defer to him more as the puck mover where initially they were probably both trying to play the same role on the same pair.
highclass.gif

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Seeing Anaheim’s cap space, their history of deals with Boston, their prospect rankings and Dom’s posting cryptic tweets from a year ago… what do folks think about player/s and pick for cap relief and Sam Colangelo.

Kid seems like everything Sweeney loves in a player and he’s off to a slowish start this year at Northeastern…

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Seeing Anaheim’s cap space, their history of deals with Boston, their prospect rankings and Dom’s posting cryptic tweets from a year ago… what do folks think about player/s and pick for cap relief and Sam Colangelo.

Kid seems like everything Sweeney loves in a player and he’s off to a slowish start this year at Northeastern…

2nd rounder. Is 8P in 12GP really a slow start? He’s a career 0.76 PPG player in college so far. Not bad at all. I don’t think ANA would move him.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
well Reilly is already there.
Smith they could waive and if nobody claims him could go. But you only save 1.1 per contract. You cant ‘bury ‘ an entire contract.
So if you do that with Smith and have someone to replace him the savings are minimal. Plus they are already down to 22 on the 23 man roster. Going to 21 is dangerous.
Perfect thank you

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
2nd rounder. Is 8P in 12GP really a slow start? He’s a career 0.76 PPG player in college so far. Not bad at all. I don’t think ANA would move him.
I can’t find him written up anywhere as being in their top 10 prospects. And they already have a few young stud forwards in the NHL.

The Anaheim board had him 17th in the organization's prospects to start this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad