Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Would Brandon Carlo for Scott Mayfield +2nd make sense?
Boston gets a big, nasty, shutdown type dman who's cheap and is a pending UFA + 2nd which they dont have
Islanders get a signed Carlo
Bruins get 2.65 in cap relief with the deal as well

I would upgrade on Carlo too bit Mayfield isnt really an fit. I would love Pulock from the Islanders but they wont trade him. What I think is realistic and the players I like are Andersson, Hronek and Carrier.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Carlo has been pretty good this year imo, he’s a big part of the PK and I rarely hear his name. That’s a good thing given his role as a shutdown defenseman
He's also one of the leaders off the ice. Reps the team with the players association. Respected in the locker room. Was in the Alternate captain rotation last year for good reason. IMO, he's not going anywhere.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
If you bury Smith in the P, you could trade Stralman and even retain 500k? Gotta be easier to trade 500k to someone?

It's obviously all razor thin but it works.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don’t understand the right D pairings when everyone is healthy.

I want to have Lindholm and McAvoy in different pairs.

Lindholm and Cliffy has worked better than Lindholm and Carlo by a good margin.

Forbort and McAvoy didn’t work well last year.

Forbort and Carlo don’t work.

Forbort works with Clifton.

Just seems like you either have to have a Lindholm/McAvoy super pairing (Gryz/Carlo, Forbort/Clifton), or a Lindholm/Carlo pairing that has seen Lindholm’s offense dry up. All I want to do is keep Lindholm and Clifton together but don’t see how it works.
I have the same issue with the forward lines. It's like they get put in a randomizer every game...

Hall-Krejci-Pasta doesn't work. Nobody goes to the net and Monty keeps breaking them up.

Hall-Bergeron-Pasta works but they won't separate Marchand-Bergeron.

So we're back to Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta halfway through every game.

Hall-Krejci works as a pair but they need someone who likes to drive to the net and occupy a defenseman. DeBrusk was on their RW last game and that line looked better (setting up Cliffy for the first goal of the game). I guess we'll see if they go back to it or try Zacha there again. Honestly, I would love to see Coyle on RW with that pair, give them some size and power. That would let you play Zacha as your 3c which I think he'd prefer, but that pushes DeBrusk out of the top6.

Frederic-Coyle seem to have good chemistry and both guys seem to play better together than apart, but Frederic-Coyle-Smith has been the best version of that line, at least in terms of xG%. Zacha on RW, Greer on RW, Figgy on RW...

The good news is that they're winning despite the fact that they haven't settled on a single line yet.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have the same issue with the forward lines. It's like they get put in a randomizer every game...

Hall-Krejci-Pasta doesn't work. Nobody goes to the net and Monty keeps breaking them up.

Hall-Krejci works as a pair but they need someone who likes to drive to the net and occupy a defenseman. DeBrusk was on their RW last game and that line looked better (setting up Cliffy for the first goal of the game). I guess we'll see if they go back to it or try Zacha there again. Honestly, I would love to see Coyle on RW with that pair, give them some size and power. That would let you play Zacha as your 3c which I think he'd prefer, but that pushes DeBrusk out of the top6.

Frederic-Coyle seem to have good chemistry and both guys seem to play better together than apart, but Frederic-Coyle-Smith has been the best version of that line, at least in terms of xG%. Zacha on RW, Greer on RW, Figgy on RW...

The good news is that they're winning despite the fact that they haven't settled on a single line yet.

Heh, yes this was the next topic I was gonna bring up. You were full of loud warnings about Hall/Krejci/Pasta in the offseason and you were right (although, I think you were wrong about how much Cassidy was holding the Bruins D back offensively!). I think having the perfection line together is fine if you have depth scoring behind it, and Hall/Krejci/DeBrusk is worth more looks. I never really considered Coyle for that spot but you can see how he and Krejci could work the cycle game like Krejci used to do with the power forward duos. Not sure if I am ready to put Zacha at C without more support quiet yet, but would be an interesting option if the Bruins get proactive with finding a top six center like Horvat at the TDL.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Carlo has been pretty good this year imo, he’s a big part of the PK and I rarely hear his name. That’s a good thing given his role as a shutdown defenseman
In the last game Carlo got caught sleeping twice and left a guy get wide open on the wall on his side. The first time it was JT Miller for a goal. The second time it was Bo Horvat and Ullmark had to make a great save.

It reminded me of the playoffs, only if it were the playoffs everyone would be saying those plays were somehow Grzelcyk's fault. Look at the minus!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The more I look at this, the more I think they waive Smith. Reilly is immovable, unless someone has to LTIR at least 4 starters. Smith is not playing enough to build value. I think they waive him. That's extremely poor work from Sweeney, but an increasingly likely scenario.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The more I look at this, the more I think they waive Smith. Reilly is immovable, unless someone has to LTIR at least 4 starters. Smith is not playing enough to build value. I think they waive him. That's extremely poor work from Sweeney, but an increasingly likely scenario.

Assuming Swayman was healthy today and Kincaid returned to Providence the Bruins need to move $1,327,474.

Smith waived saves less than a million (unless claimed). So, cap doesn't work and only leaves them with 12 forwards.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

We went to game 7 of the Cup final with 63-37-88 and 46 playing with 74. Hall is an upgrade over the Backes/Kuhlman/Heinen rotation they had on their wing that year. I feel good about the top 6, it will workout. I think Zacha shows promise, he just needs to find his spot in the lineup and stay there to build chemistry. He's been moved all over the lineup, hard to really build chemistry with a line when that's the case.

Reactions: PlayMakers

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
In the last game Carlo got caught sleeping twice and left a guy get wide open on the wall on his side. The first time it was JT Miller for a goal. The second time it was Bo Horvat and Ullmark had to make a great save.

It reminded me of the playoffs, only if it were the playoffs everyone would be saying those plays were somehow Grzelcyk's fault. Look at the minus!
Watching Carlo live is worse than seeing him on TV. I don't doubt he's a great kid and teammate, but man he s a grossly overrated player by many here.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Assuming Swayman was healthy today and Kincaid returned to Providence the Bruins need to move $1,327,474.

Smith waived saves less than a million (unless claimed). So, cap doesn't work and only leaves them with 12 forwards.

Wonder if Sweeney was one of the two absent? Sounds like a good GM summit hope we were there…

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

He just doesn't have consistent success with any player they've played him with since Krug outside of Mike Reilly back in 2020-21 (for like 10 minutes at least).

Hes your best shot at picking up something good but you cant take a huge downgrade for him, either you find a guy who works with Reilly and trade forbort or you find a guy who works with forbort and suck it up and retain on reilly or add pieces. Zboril is a great #7 and Stralman good at #8, but really I think Gryz-McAvoy and Lindholm-Clifton are both great pairs and Im hesistant to see monty split them up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I didn't know where else to post this.

En general, the point of the article is a worthy one.

Specifically, given the aggressive, go-go style the Bruins play under Jim Montgomery, it's extremely important to their continued success that proper rest is understood & emphasized by players and coaching staff alike.

Common sense. And an enlightened approach that will pay dividends throughout a grueling 82 game grind, to say nothing of the playoffs.

I really, really like what I'm seeing from Jim Montgomery, and the players, on several levels.

Again, clear cache/cookies to view,

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Forbort kind of struggled last year in general in the regular season, and has looked much better this year. They haven't tried him with Mac this year yet, and while its not my first choice I like it better than Lindholm-Carlo, so maybe they try the following:

Forbort-Mac
Lindholm-Clifton
Gryz-Carlo

Could allow Mac a bit more freedom offensively since Forbort generally stays at home.

Reactions: Ivo and PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Forbort kind of struggled last year in general in the regular season, and has looked much better this year. They haven't tried him with Mac this year yet, and while its not my first choice I like it better than Lindholm-Carlo, so maybe they try the following:

Forbort-Mac
Lindholm-Clifton
Gryz-Carlo

Could allow Mac a bit more freedom offensively since Forbort generally stays at home.
It's different. It's worth a look.

Though I think both Mac and Lindholm play with more freedom when their partner is also capable of being offensive. They just seem more dynamic and more willing to roam and interchange, and the numbers bear that out.

Lindholm's top partners this year are Clifton, Grzelcyk and Reilly. Mac's best partners last year were Gryz, Reilly, Lindholm and Vaak.

Lindholm-Carlo has been our worst pair with an xG of 37.5%

tremha77

Jul 16, 2022
If they can, i would try and move Smith over Reilly. Can never have enough D for the eventual injury bug. There are a lot of capable fill ins for 4RW which is sadly where Smith has mostly been. The Bruins problem is well known so it will cost them for someone to get them compliant.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If they can, i would try and move Smith over Reilly. Can never have enough D for the eventual injury bug. There are a lot of capable fill ins for 4RW which is sadly where Smith has mostly been. The Bruins problem is well known so it will cost them for someone to get them compliant.
except... Reilly is the one that needs to be moved ASAP, because they've sent him home instead of Reilly playing in Providence after the 2nd waiver claim and was cleared.... the Smith option has been debunked twice because they're has to be another move and as @Gee Wally said they're not having a 21 man active roster

Reactions: bbfan419

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Is it better to deal picks/prospects or mess with chemistry? Reilly , Smith and a first for a 4th?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
except... Reilly is the one that needs to be moved ASAP, because they've sent him home instead of Reilly playing in Providence after the 2nd waiver claim and was cleared.... the Smith option has been debunked twice because they're has to be another move and as @Gee Wally said they're not having a 21 man active roster
I have a thought instead of moving draft picks Vancouver might be interested in young players, try this on for size and trust me I know it is off the wall and if I read from some other poster I would throw shit him, but anyways . Luke Schenn for Smith Reilly, Steen, and McLaughlin.........

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I have a thought instead of moving draft picks Vancouver might be interested in young players, try this on for size and trust me I know it is off the wall and if I read from some other poster I would throw shit him, but anyways . Luke Schenn for Smith Reilly, Steen, and McLaughlin.........
why would you mess up the chemistry as both BOS/PRO are at the top if not at the top of their respected leagues

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
why would you mess up the chemistry as both BOS/PRO are at the top if not at the top of their respected leagues
None of the names I mentioned are playing so that does not effect the "chemistry", moving Smith and Reilly accomplishes the cap problem , Steen as had his chances and McLaughlin just sweetens the deal a little so that it can get done . The most important part of this is cap help and you are not giving up draft picks .............And Schenn still give you D-depth.........

Reactions: bbfan419

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
None of the names I mentioned are playing so that does not effect the "chemistry", moving Smith and Reilly accomplishes the cap problem , Steen as had his chances and McLaughlin just sweetens the deal a little so that it can get done . The most important part of this is cap help and you are not giving up draft picks .............And Schenn still give you D-depth.........
you missed the point.... why would Providence be even mentioned on a Bruins telecast Sunday night, they are the same franchise.......name the last season either was trending at the top of either league, and that's saying more about Providence in reality than Boston's historic run which has never been since seen the 1930s

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
you missed the point.... why would Providence be even mentioned on a Bruins telecast Sunday night, they are the same franchise.......name the last season either was trending at the top of either league, and that's saying more about Providence in reality than Boston's historic run which has never been since seen the 1930s
Are you worried about Providence ,I'm not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad