Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Wonder if the Bruins would have been better off waiving Smith earlier before he's completely tanked any value he might have had.

Reilly and Smith are two negative value players.
How is Craig Smith negative value he scored 16 goals last year and Ryan Reaves returned 5th rounder. I have never been high on Reilly but you cannot tell me some team cannot use a defenseman there are d-man on rosters now that are not as good as Reilly . I think Reilly's contract makes it more difficult to move him . Sweeney boxed himself in with these contracts and other GMs are waiting it out knowing that Sweeney needs to be cap compliant at some point........... Although Ullmark injury did look like it is serious and not short term, there is 5 mil there.........I hope I am wrong about Ullmark .

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
How is Craig Smith negative value he scored 16 goals last year and Ryan Reaves returned 5th rounder. I have never been high on Reilly but you cannot tell me some team cannot use a defenseman there are d-man on rosters now that are not as good as Reilly . I think Reilly's contract makes it more difficult to move him . Sweeney boxed himself in with these contracts and other GMs are waiting it out knowing that Sweeney needs to be cap compliant at some point........... Although Ullmark injury did look like it is serious and not short term, there is 5 mil there.........I hope I am wrong about Ullmark .
Negative value = playing at less than what the contact says they are worth. I'm not even saying they are bad players, just that THIS season, it's hard to justify either of them are 3M players

Craig Smith hasn't been playing like a guy that can score 16 goals this season. He's on pace to score 8, and that's being generous.

His play THIS year has me reluctant to think anyone is paying anything for him, especially since everyone in the league knows the Bruins need to shed salary.

I'd say right now it's 50/50 he'd get claimed, but him getting claimed is a win for us. I'm just not sure anyone is taking him. If unclaimed, I'd easily say he's negative value. But I'm 100% fine with being wrong. If Sweeney can turn Craig Smith into anything at this point, that's a win.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Craig Smith hasn't been playing like a guy that can score 16 goals this season. He's on pace to score 8, and that's being generous.
He plays like that every season, then has a blistering hot streak and winds up with ~20 goals.

He's getting older and he only hit 16 last season, so he might be winding down, but I wouldn't be against him having on of his streaks this season. It's in his DNA.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He plays like that every season, then has a blistering hot streak and winds up with ~20 goals.

He's getting older and he only hit 16 last season, so he might be winding down, but I wouldn't be against him having on of his streaks this season. It's in his DNA.
But someone has to go.

'Would rather have Reilly for depth when playoff comes"
Or
"Would rather have Smith when he heats up and goes on a streak"

Both are two luxuries that we have to give up one. So it's a pick your poison situation. Whichever one costs less to move. IMO

Unless, like someone suggested above that Ullmark is out longer than we'd probably like.

Either he or Reilly need to go, and my point being is neither have really done much this season that another team is lining up to help us. At least that's what it seems.
Otherwise someone would have been moved by now.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
between a "load Management" Reilly night off in Syracuse and Forbort looking a week away. Have to assume something happens this weekend

Reactions: bbfan419

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I didn't want it to be so, but I think our 1st rounder is going to be on the move. But maybe for a bit more cap relief than just Reilly.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Hall + Smith + Reilly for P. Kane

Maybe the Bruins can add a pick or prospect if the Blackhawks retain a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Wouldn’t trade Hall and the blackhawks wouldn’t want him
Idea would be that the Blackhawks would get them and then flip them. Blackhawks could probably get a better offer for Kane that will help them in their rebuild.

Bruins are probably going to have to move a pick/prospect along with Reilly or Smith to free up cap space.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017

He has never scored 20 in Boston, this is his 3rd year and he has 30 goals total. He was invisible in the playoffs, 7 games and not one single point. Clifton and Nosek have more goals than him and he is tied with other noted goal scorers Forbort and Zboril. Value for his 3 million is a waste of cap space. There are cheaper options internally to get Forbort back into action and they need to explore that.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If we didn't have Hall there would be tons of posts about how the Bruins need to trade for Hall. He's not getting moved.

I don't see any fit for Kane on this years team why disrupt what we have going on. There is no chance he takes a discount to play here next summer which he would have to. He's staying in Chicago or going home to Buffalo and making a lot more money than we are going to offer.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
No way I trade Hall to rent Kane.
My idea around it was the Bruins could be fine with Zacha or DeBrusk at LW in the top 6, and they have Kane and Pastrnak in their top 6. If Kane were to waive his full NMC for Boston, then I think there would be a chance there to extend him.

I don't want the Bruins to trade Hall by any means. I included Hall because I think moving him for a similarly aged player who would have the same if not more of an impact in the playoffs would also free up cap space to activate Forbort to be cap compliant, and the Bruins wouldn't have to sacrifice the future (picks and prospects) to do so.

Again, I do think the Blackhawks could probably fetch a better return for Kane.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
No way I trade Hall to rent Kane.
Straight facts. Hall is in his prime years still imo. Hall looks better this year than kane does this year. This is an absolute downgrade on the roster. I get that Kane is a hall of fame player and super elite. But he is past prime and I wouldn’t want him any ways due to his character. That being said they did sign that racist kid that bullied and tormented a kid whose brain was four years behind in development.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My idea around it was the Bruins could be fine with Zacha or DeBrusk at LW in the top 6, and they have Kane and Pastrnak in their top 6. If Kane were to waive his full NMC for Boston, then I think there would be a chance there to extend him.

I don't want the Bruins to trade Hall by any means. I included Hall because I think moving him for a similarly aged player who would have the same if not more of an impact in the playoffs would also free up cap space to activate Forbort to be cap compliant, and the Bruins wouldn't have to sacrifice the future (picks and prospects) to do so.

Again, I do think the Blackhawks could probably fetch a better return for Kane.
some posters need to realize and factor in the age of the player being discussed...... Boston teams will not depending on the philosophy add players 30 and up, or specifically because of the CBA Rules of players 35 and up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad