Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think you have to start kicking tires with Brandon Carlo.

I know It's been going well for the Bruins this year, but the guy has regressed significantly over the past few seasons. You add in a pretty dicey concussion history and you're dealing with a ticking time bomb.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Clifton, for all the bone headed play over the last few seasons, has earned his spot this year. He is thriving in Montgomery's system, and it's hard to argue the results. He also plays bigger than 5'11."

Gryz gives you something valuable per passing and offensive smarts. He's a useful player that compliments Charlie and Lindholm. He's worth keeping. Carlo, to me, is another matter.
Carlo at 4.1 is something we can’t do after this year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I know It's been going well for the Bruins this year, but the guy has regressed significantly over the past few seasons. You add in a pretty dicey concussion history and you're dealing with a ticking time bomb.
It seems like you haven’t watched him this year. He’s been quite solid and just last night was our best defender overall. I know, low HugeHits/60 but Carlo as a RHD at $4M is a solid number.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

This is precisely how I feel.

I'm no expert but even I can see that his play has regressed the past few seasons, and the concussion history is likely why. "Ticking time bomb" is the proper phrase.

FIVE concussions. That we know about.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It seems like you haven’t watched him this year. He’s been quite solid and just last night was our best defender overall. I know, low HugeHits/60 but Carlo as a RHD at $4M is a solid number.
It's a solid number, no one is denying it. I just think his game has declined over the past few seasons. You add in his scary concussion history, and again, you're dealing with someone who's next injury could be very, very catastrophic.

As for the huge hits/60 or whatever. I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Also, I know offense isn't his game, but my god do plays die on his stick. There's just absolutely zero offensive instincts there.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
It's a solid number, no one is denying it. I just think his game has declined over the past few seasons. You add in his scary concussion history, and again, you're dealing with someone who's next injury could be very, very catastrophic.

As for the huge hits/60 or whatever. I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Also, I know offense isn't his game, but my god do plays die on his stick.
If he is 1 hit/injury away from his career ending

Then why would any team in the league trade for him ?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Also, I know offense isn't his game, but my god do plays die on his stick.
First, he’s played very well this year.

Second, dumping a player after they’ve been hurt on your team just because he may get hurt again is pretty morbid, and I don’t subscribe to that way of thinking. At all.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
The Bruins traded for Kase, Toronto signed Kase, Carolina ended up with Kase.

He's a prime example of a guy who had MAJOR head injuries YEARS ago and was still able to be traded/signed.
Kase also had only 1 year left on his deal

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
First, he’s played very well this year.

Second, dumping a player after they’ve been hurt on your team just because he may get hurt again is pretty morbid, and I don’t subscribe to that way of thinking. At all.
He's been Ok.

Also, It's not dumping a player because he's been "hurt" - It's trying to move on and get a potential upgrade at that position for a long cup run or package him for an upgrade elsewhere in the offseason. I'm not taking Brandon Carlo out back and shooting him in the f***ing head, man.

Kase also had only 1 year on his deal left
Sure. Now you're twisting it.

The fact is, anyone can be traded.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The idea that Zub negotiations aren’t going well and a Carlo swap sounds not crazy and clears enough cap, but it might bite the Bruins if Zub walks.

Wonder if there is a Carlo + Reilly for Zub deal even. The Sens really need more D.

I don’t see a future based deal that is very exciting. All the Sens young dudes are either too good to get for Carlo, or not good enough to be worth it.
If the Bruins trade Carlo than they will be the team in need of D..........and they are now with him.......

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Carlo played a strong game last night and it was good to see . Clifton ice time was down last night and rightfully so.............Please back off the trade Carlo talk, good contract and good player......

Reactions: tremha77

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This is what I was referring to with my Bergeron comparison....

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This is what I was referring to with my Bergeron comparison....
For sure, but acting like I’m saying “dump him because he might get injured” is a huge stretch. I was simply saying it’s a concern to me.

Again, not saying dump him for a 6th round pick. I’m saying if there’s an opportunity to move him in a package for an upgrade, I’d very much consider it.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
For sure, but acting like I’m saying “dump him because he might get injured” is a huge stretch. I was simply saying it’s a concern to me.

Again, not saying dump him for a 6th round pick. I’m saying if there’s an opportunity to move him in a package for an upgrade, I’d very much consider it.
We agree then. You can apply that logic to just about 90% of our roster though. If we can make a move to improve our chances of winning a Cup this year, we should do so. Easier said than done, however. Especially given our (and other team's) cap constraints.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the Bruins trade Carlo than they will be the team in need of D..........and they are now with him.......

I mean Carlo for Zub makes sense if he will sign with you and won't in Ottawa for some reason. He is, at worst, a lateral move on ice but for this season is only making 2.5m vs Carlo coming in just over 4. And Carlo might be a better fit with Chabot letting him run wild a bit offensively. Bruins don't have a LD that needs babysitting and could use Zub's better offensive and physical play even if you lose some in terms of 1 on 1 D.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I mean Carlo for Zub makes sense if he will sign with you and won't in Ottawa for some reason. He is, at worst, a lateral move on ice but for this season is only making 2.5m vs Carlo coming in just over 4. And Carlo might be a better fit with Chabot letting him run wild a bit offensively. Bruins don't have a LD that needs babysitting and could use Zub's better offensive and physical play even if you lose some in terms of 1 on 1 D.
If Forbort is easier to move than Reilly, I think Reilly-Zub would work better than Reilly-Carlo...

If not and Reilly is moved, Gryz - Zub

EDIT: 100% meant to type Gryz - Zub

Last edited:
Reactions: duffy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad