Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Context is key. Reilly has started 77.5% of his starts in the offensive zone, which is highest among all Bruins d-men. With the sheltered minutes he falls about where you'd think he should. Honestly prefer relative numbers as it measure the team with a player on and off the ice. In that regard, the team is average in xGF/60 and slightly worse in xGA/60 when Reilly is on the ice. Factor in the sheltered minutes and it's actually not great
How do the defense rank going off your preferred method?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don’t know what this means
I think it means Hampus Lindholm is a defenseman about on-par with the likes of Mike Reilly and Jakub Zboril. Don't think you'll find many who will disagree

Advanced stats have their usage but I think this is silly when it doesn't factor in strength of competition, ozone starts, etc.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Carlo is the second or third best defensemen in the league in xGA, meaning he’s been very good this year, despite the prevailing narrative around here.

I think it means Hampus Lindholm is a defenseman about on-par with the likes of Mike Reilly and Jakub Zboril. Don't think you'll find many who will disagree

Advanced stats have their usage but I think this is silly when it doesn't factor in strength of competition, ozone starts, etc.
Dubious stats for sure. Although I don’t think Carlo is exactly being sheltered in his ice time. For example, it appears he is starting in the defensive zone about 73% of the time. The highest number (by a lot) in his career and kind of an absurd split honestly.

Eye test too says Carlo is playing FAR better than he was last season. Which these stats back up.

Any stat that suggests Reilly has been as effective as Lindholm is not entirely trustworthy. But I do like what I’m seeing from Carlo regardless of how one feels about these numbers.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
How do the defense rank going off your preferred method?

This is my very crude way of putting it together (minimum of 10gp)

1669162895378.png

Tough to really "rank them" honestly as they have different roles/skill sets. Carlo for example has the worst xGF/60rel among the Bruins d-men, however he has the best xGA/60rel while having the highest amount of d-zone starts among the Bruins defense. With that being said, he's not a guy you're expecting offense from and his job is to be a shutdown DFD, which he has been.

Lindholm has just been a beast with the best xGF/60rel among Bruins d-men and has the 3rd lowest offensive zone starts and the 3rd best xGA/60rel. He's been Boston best d-men this year and the eye test aligns with that. Forbort has been solid, Clifton doesn't really help or hurt the team. Zboril has been disappointing and you'd like to see Grz have a higher xGF/60rel considering he gets a steady dose of offensive zone starts compared to others.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Dubious stats for sure. Although I don’t think Carlo is exactly being sheltered in his ice time. For example, it appears he is starting in the defensive zone about 73% of the time. The highest number (by a lot) in his career and kind of an absurd split honestly.

Eye test too says Carlo is playing FAR better than he was last season. Which these stats back up.

Any stat that suggests Reilly has been as effective as Lindholm is not entirely trustworthy. But I do like what I’m seeing from Carlo regardless of how one feels about these numbers.

I agree - my post wasn't a knock at Carlo, more of the graph. Not sure what story it is trying to tell.

I think Carlo gets way too much flack here - guess it's easy when the other whipping boys in Smith and Reilly have been out, and everyone has come to Jesus on Foligno (rightfully so). He's a really good top-4 defensive D. Think we would really miss him if he left or if he gets injured again.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Don't know what Carlo's numbers were before his concussions but he was shutting down top lines .
Fans can be a little impatient with players who have been seriouly injured . It takes some players longer to recover . Carlo is coming back

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I agree - my post wasn't a knock at Carlo, more of the graph. Not sure what story it is trying to tell.

I think Carlo gets way too much flack here - guess it's easy when the other whipping boys in Smith and Reilly have been out, and everyone has come to Jesus on Foligno (rightfully so). He's a really good top-4 defensive D. Think we would really miss him if he left or if he gets injured again.

I think Sheppy said he wasn't for trading Carlo because Brandon might sustain yet another concussion.

I'll say that.

Yes, he has size and reach, yes he's been given the "A" for a reason, yes, at his best, he's been a solid defender, and yes, I'm sure he's the sterling sort.

But, as noted, he's had five concussions thus far, with the next likely ending his NHL career if not seriously jeopardizing his physical & mental health; his play, once ascending, has regressed; I love a stay at home defenseman, particularly with size, but Carlo will never use that size in service of physicality, and does not have, it seems, an offensive bone in his body.

All of that points me in the direction of packaging Carlo with whomever (Reilly, Smith, heck, all three) for "something, anything."

It won't happen, but I woud not mind if it did.

I can deal with a limited but solid Brandon Carlo. I can't live with the same player a concussion away from, frankly, placing the Bruins in another D bind, and most importantly, risking his health.

It ain't worth it. None of it.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Don't know what Carlo's numbers were before his concussions but he was shutting down top lines .
Fans can be a little impatient with players who have been seriouly injured . It takes some players longer to recover . Carlo is coming back

Yes, they can. But we're talking about a BRAIN INJURY, sustained multiple (five) times.

You probably know what happens when someone gets a concussion, yes? Their f***ing brain rattles around in their head, slamming against the skull.

It's not up to me but if I could wave a wand, I would wish Brandon happy and thriving, but in another, less risky occupation. He's clearly a good egg, and intelligent. For his sake, I hope it all works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrdpuk and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Sheppy said he wasn't for trading Carlo because Brandon might sustain yet another concussion.

I'll say that.

Yes, he has size and reach, yes he's been given the "A" for a reason, yes, at his best, he's been a solid defnder, and yes, I'm sure he's the sterling sort.

But, as noted, he's had five concussions thus far, with the next likely ending his NHL career if not seriously jeopardizing his physical & mental health; his play, once ascending, has regressed; I love a stay at home defenseman, particularly with size, but Carlo will never use that size in service of physicality, and does not have, it seems, an offensive bone in his body.

All of that points me in the direction of packaging Carlo with whomever (Reilly, Smith, heck, all three) for "something, anything."

It won't happen, but I woud not mind if it did.

I can deal with a limited but solid Brandon Carlo. I can't live with the same player a concussion away from, frankly, placing the Bruins in another D bind, and most importantly, risking his health.

It ain't worth it. None of it.
Pretty terrible way to build and maintain a great hockey culture. You gave us your all, got hurt and came back, but we’re worried you’re going to get hurt again so we’re dumping you for whatever we can get.

Thank god the Bruins don’t operate this way.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
They're not trading Forbort, certainly not this season. His value to the team, a bit like Nosek, is significant if unspectacular. He provides an element of shot blocking & willingness to do the grunt work largely lacking on the B's blue line. And no, I'm not saying McAvoy (obviously) or Lindholm are soft.

You're welcome.

Forgot about that hit on Staal, hooooly s**t what a beauty

I'd throw my stick down the tunnel too after that one

Reactions: GordonHowe

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My eye test says he is still not close to his 2019 form. If we can trade him for a more skilled and defensively competent d, or a center for the future, I still do it.
I think the chart lines up with my eye test. He's lost a lot of confidence carrying the puck, a little skittish and lost any hope of having sneaky offensive potential as he had earlier in his career. But, he is playing much more sound in his own zone, especially in front of the net, not letting guys getting position for rebounds. He's owning it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad