Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Leafs are down top D man M Rielly...some desperation creeping in for a D man. Our M Reilly would be a perfect fit but I hope the bruins get something in return.
I highly doubt the Bs and Leafs do a deal of any type.... The last thing either GM wants to do is risk a boomerang trade with a team you are fighting for playoff position withiin your division...especially one with such a heated rivalry/ history

i expect the Leafs will look west and cast their eyes on a team like Phoenix

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Pretty terrible way to build and maintain a great hockey culture. You gave us your all, got hurt and came back, but we’re worried you’re going to get hurt again so we’re dumping you for whatever we can get.

Thank god the Bruins don’t operate this way.
Imagine they operated this way when Bergeron was dealing with his concussion issues

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I highly doubt the Bs and Leafs do a deal of any type.... The last thing either GM wants to do is risk a boomerang trade with a team you are fighting for playoff position withiin your division...especially one with such a heated rivalry/ history

i expect the Leafs will look west and cast their eyes on a team like Phoenix
It'd be for a prospect/pick so Toronto would have nothing to fear from what they give up for a few years.

Imagine they operated this way when Bergeron was dealing with his concussion issues
There were plenty of folks in here during those days arguing that that was exactly what should have happened. With Savard and the arrival of Krejci - he was their 3C, making close to 5 mil and badly concussed.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
My eye test says he is still not close to his 2019 form. If we can trade him for a more skilled and defensively competent d, or a center for the future, I still do it.
How are you getting a more competent defensive D man than what Carlo already brings , and I certainly am not trading him a center...............

Reactions: bme44

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For those willing to trade Carlo here are some interesting defensive numbers:

179 defensemen have played at least 150 minutes this season. Carlo among them ranks per 60....

xGA/60 - 18th
GA/60 - 5th

This while have the 18th highest defensive zone start% among defensemen.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm not anti analytics by any means, but anyone with a brain and eyes knows that Lindholm typically has been the best guy in the ice when hes out there to start the season, yet the chart clumps the entire Bruins team as just above league average XGF and and XGA.

The issue with analytics is that the super heavy analytic people take it as gospel and can't use their actual eyes to judge a player.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The only way I want the bruins to help the leafs by trading Reilly is if they REALLY overpay. Like a 1st and a 4th,

Always remember in the NHL, if a GM is drowning, other GMs throw anvils not life preservers.
Well it's funny because Leafs would be helping the Bruins by taking Reilly. Otherwise we are paying someone TO take our twice Waiver clearing friend here.

GM's will do what's best for their team. And they always should. This is Mike Reilly. This isn't some superstar or budding young player they are afraid is going to hurt them. It's a freaking cap dump.

In 5 years time the average fan will probably forget Mike Reilly was ever on this team.

Reactions: bbfan419 and bme44

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I'm not anti analytics by any means, but anyone with a brain and eyes knows that Lindholm typically has been the best guy in the ice when hes out there to start the season, yet the chart clumps the entire Bruins team as just above league average XGF and and XGA.

The issue with analytics is that the super heavy analytic people take it as gospel and can't use their actual eyes to judge a player.
Amen! Analytics in sports should be a nice add on vs the gospel

• Love
Reactions: bme44

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think Sheppy said he wasn't for trading Carlo because Brandon might sustain yet another concussion.

I'll say that.

Yes, he has size and reach, yes he's been given the "A" for a reason, yes, at his best, he's been a solid defender, and yes, I'm sure he's the sterling sort.

But, as noted, he's had five concussions thus far, with the next likely ending his NHL career if not seriously jeopardizing his physical & mental health; his play, once ascending, has regressed; I love a stay at home defenseman, particularly with size, but Carlo will never use that size in service of physicality, and does not have, it seems, an offensive bone in his body.

All of that points me in the direction of packaging Carlo with whomever (Reilly, Smith, heck, all three) for "something, anything."

It won't happen, but I woud not mind if it did.

I can deal with a limited but solid Brandon Carlo. I can't live with the same player a concussion away from, frankly, placing the Bruins in another D bind, and most importantly, risking his health.

It ain't worth it. None of it.
He could also maybe not get another concussion? You let him play it out here, nobody knows what tomorrow is gonna bring anyways.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020

The chart isn't good players vs. bad players. It simply measures 5v5 expected goals without quality of competition/team mates, score effects and so on. It's like points, shot totals or ice time chart. Useful in a correct context. In this case it shows that Carlo really stands out as a guy who shuts things down - in both ends of the ice, which matches the eye test and reputation completely.

There are other more holistic analytics that demonstrate how Lindholm has been one of the best defencemen in the league so far.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

this writers model had Lindholm honorable mention on the list of worst NHL contracts.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

You can make that argument the other way too. There are folks that don't care what any stat says and think their eyes are gospel when judging a player.

As for Lindholm, what that chart doesn't take into account are how much a guy starts in the o-zone vs d-zone or the quality of competition. I see a bunch of NJD players top right and when I look 3 of them are starting 57% to 61% of their zone starts in the o-zone. That's pretty heavy compared to Lindholm who only sits at 45% starts in the o-zone. It shouldn't be a surprise then that they'd have a higher xGF/60 with significantly more offensive zone starts.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Well it's funny because Leafs would be helping the Bruins by taking Reilly. Otherwise we are paying someone TO take our twice Waiver clearing friend here.

GM's will do what's best for their team. And they always should. This is Mike Reilly. This isn't some superstar or budding young player they are afraid is going to hurt them. It's a freaking cap dump.

In 5 years time the average fan will probably forget Mike Reilly was ever on this team.

I was replying under the context that Toronto is desperate for D help and if they were, they could overpay Bruins for Reilly. I understand that it will likely not happen.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bruins are likely more ready to move Carlo when Lorhei is ready, as the latter will likely be a significant upgrade to Carlo. But Carlo is playing well and playing the right way.

Good problem to have, more assets than you can keep

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad