Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Haven't weighed in on the trade yet. Here are my two cents.

I love the trade. Get a top 6, left handed, playmaker center who is signed at a terrific deal for the next 3 years. He and Turris make a great one-two punch. It's as good as you are going to get without a proper 1st line center. My guess is he'll thrive with the various pieces he'll get to play with. This team has also done exceptionally well in trades when they acquire players they have solid knowledge of (ie. Rob Murphy and Turris, Rick Wamsley and Bishop). They understand the player's work ethic, his coachability, his professionalism. Hopefully it's the same thing with Brassard (ie. Don Boyd and Jim Clark).

I've never been a big Zibanejad fan. To me he's a center version of Michalek. Great teammate, great skill set, very average hockey IQ. He never meshed well with anyone on a continuous basis. All this talk of him becoming a big physical center makes me wonder if these people have ever watched him play. He's not a physical player. I doubt he'll grow that mean streak. It's just not in him. As we all know he's streaky. He's got a great shot, but how often did he miss the net on the one-timers? I do think he has a chance to maybe hit 60 points, but it won't be consistently and he sure isn't going to become a 1st line center. Guys at his age don't just figure it out and get to a new level....not with his hockey IQ. When Pageau outplayed him thoroughly, that was the writing on the wall. So Dorion probably sees the same thing and sold him before his salary outweighs his ability. The second, as unfortunate as it is, is the cost of a budget team saving money. If it allows the team to sign everyone else, it is worth it. Everyone talks about needing to not waste Karlsson's prime years. Well, this is what happens. I don't know if the core is good enough to win, but it should be good enough to compete.

The biggest change will be with the coaching. If the coaching matches up with expectations, this team will have 100 pts next year, injuries notwithstanding. I would have liked to have seen what Zibanejad could have done with better coaching, but I'm not sure there would be a big jump in production that everyone on the main boards seem to be projecting. Also the idea that Brassard is 29, therefore he's declining, is asinine. He's coming off his best two seasons as a pro. But that's HFboards for you.

You can tell it's summer when there is so much discussion over two 2nd line centers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, if it clicks like it did with Seguin (before anyone goes nuts, I'm not expecting Seguin numbers or dominance from Zibby), then we really have egg on our faces.

Always a big risk giving up on young players.

Its a risk either way. Status quo hope for further improvement and enough this year to make a difference, or make a trade for a player that you think gives you enough to take the next step

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Haven't weighed in on the trade yet. Here are my two cents.

I love the trade. Get a top 6, left handed, playmaker center who is signed at a terrific deal for the next 3 years. He and Turris make a great one-two punch. It's as good as you are going to get without a proper 1st line center. My guess is he'll thrive with the various pieces he'll get to play with. This team has also done exceptionally well in trades when they acquire players they have solid knowledge of (ie. Rob Murphy and Turris, Rick Wamsley and Bishop). They understand the player's work ethic, his coachability, his professionalism. Hopefully it's the same thing with Brassard (ie. Don Boyd and Jim Clark).

I've never been a big Zibanejad fan. To me he's a center version of Michalek. Great teammate, great skill set, very average hockey IQ. He never meshed well with anyone on a continuous basis. All this talk of him becoming a big physical center makes me wonder if these people have ever watched him play. He's not a physical player. I doubt he'll grow that mean streak. It's just not in him. As we all know he's streaky. He's got a great shot, but how often did he miss the net on the one-timers? I do think he has a chance to maybe hit 60 points, but it won't be consistently and he sure isn't going to become a 1st line center. Guys at his age don't just figure it out and get to a new level....not with his hockey IQ. When Pageau outplayed him thoroughly, that was the writing on the wall. So Dorion probably sees the same thing and sold him before his salary outweighs his ability. The second, as unfortunate as it is, is the cost of a budget team saving money. If it allows the team to sign everyone else, it is worth it. Everyone talks about needing to not waste Karlsson's prime years. Well, this is what happens. I don't know if the core is good enough to win, but it should be good enough to compete.

The biggest change will be with the coaching. If the coaching matches up with expectations, this team will have 100 pts next year, injuries notwithstanding. I would have liked to have seen what Zibanejad could have done with better coaching, but I'm not sure there would be a big jump in production that everyone on the main boards seem to be projecting. Also the idea that Brassard is 29, therefore he's declining, is asinine. He's coming off his best two seasons as a pro. But that's HFboards for you.

You can tell it's summer when there is so much discussion over two 2nd line centers.

This is good stuff.

I just can't see Zibanejad exploding for massive production based on what I've seen. He doesn't skate well with the puck. For a big guy, he doesn't have good balance and falls down a lot. He's not particularly good east-west, and is more north-south. He's not particularly creative as a playmaker. I get the Mike Fisher vibe from him which is to say, he'll fluctuate between an excellent 3C and a decent 2C for most of his career.

He's also more of a shoot-first centre and you need the right kind of wingers for a guy like that to flourish. Olli Jokinen and Steven Stamkos (more recently) are more offensively skilled guys in the same vein who still seem to need the right complementary players for them to produce.

Finally, he's never really produced a lot at any level, even prior to the NHL, which is a bit concerning.

I'll miss the potential of him taking over a playoff game with his frame and "power forward" capacity. My thoughts were always that he would come up big in some playoff series someday. But to do that, we have to make the playoffs, and it hasn't exactly been happening consistently.

Small centres can have trouble in the post-season, and now we have 3 of them. It's going to be interesting - at least until Logan Brown (hopefully!) can bring his 6'7 frame into the fray. ;)

Zibanejad will have that ability to take over a game from time to time. But will be it often enough for his salary and icetime to be worth it?

Last edited:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He's not particularly creative as a playmaker. I get the Mike Fisher vibe from him which is to say, he'll fluctuate between an excellent 3C and a decent 2C for most of his career.

He's also more of a shoot-first centre and you need the right kind of wingers for a guy like that to flourish. Olli Jokinen and Steven Stamkos (more recently) are more offensively skilled guys in the same vein who still seem to need the right complementary players for them to produce.

Small centres can have trouble in the post-season, and now we have 3 of them.

Zibby is young enough to make the switch to RW and unlike Fisher, isn't strong enough defensively to stop a coach from making the change.

The positive with our 3 small centers is that they have all had some pretty big postseason performances. Almost Briere-like performances in some cases.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The positive with our 3 small centers is that they have all had some pretty big postseason performances. Almost Briere-like performances in some cases.

Definitely a silver lining.

They all hustle their ***** off.

It's a good example to set for the rest of the team.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Zibby is young enough to make the switch to RW and unlike Fisher, isn't strong enough defensively to stop a coach from making the change.

That's a good point, all 3 elevate their game in the playoffs. That's good news. Now the team just needs to get there, but I do think this is a playoff team. Hopefully Andy puts a good year in.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

All three - Brassard, Turris, and JGP - have the ability to punch above their weight class in key games, and then you have Kelly as the 4th line centre. Loving this roster more and more everyday.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Zibby in Rangers gear:

pnpFFL1.jpg

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I admit it is kinda funny to read that the main argument to dislike the trade is because of the 2nd round pick.

I mean, I disliked the trade at first but that's because we had to say bye to Zibanejad who was 5 years younger but saying that the 2nd is what tilts it for the Rangers is ridiculous.

Sens got the best player with a 10 M$ cost for the next 3 seasons (while Zibanejad will cost at least 13M$)

Sure Zibanejad could become better but he still has a long way to go. Brassard is much more involved consistently in a hockey game and help you win more.

Will miss Zibby though :(

Uhm.... do you have a problem with North Americans? NA represent about 75% of the league, so the average team has about 5 or 6 Europeans. Claesson likely makes the team imo, so we have 2. Not really a big deal.

No, but I am european and I have an euro bias (my favorite players have been the likes of Hasek, Alfredsson, Lidstrom, etc). I would like the Sens to have a bit more Euros, like before.

Agreed that it's a bargain. Age, and the 2nd round pick make me a bit hesitant to buy in fully, but Brassard seems like a better fit in the lineup, and gives us more flexibility in terms of financials.

I just can't stress enough about just how amazing the Brassard contract is for Ottawa. It's like he has a 3.33 cap hit for the next 3 years and will be 31 and it expires so we'll see what happens then (fully depends on what happens with Turris, Brown and White, and even with Pageau and Paul)

Agree with you that Zibanejad was going to make around 5 on his next contract.

Not sure about the trade request stuff though, but who knows.

Yeah it was pure speculation on my part and now with a few more days I believe at 0.00001% Zbad asked for a trade lol

I think our team got a very big upgrade though. I just feel like everytime you map out a top 6 combination it looks signficantly better with Brassard in it.

The 2nd round pick really hurts though. It's bad asset management.

IF you read yourself again, don't you find that heavily in contradiction?

According to hf boards, young players = awesome, old players = garbage. I wouldn't really take anything you read on hf boards seriously.

Just depends from who it is coming... With time, you kinda understand who has an agenda or not, and who lives in fantasy land

On that note, it's crazy to think that 28-29 y/o is now old... It was 35 just a few years ago, and before that, it was even 37-38 :laugh:

The only thing that matters is

If we save paid a 2nd round pick to save money which will allow us to retain Hoffman and Ceci then it is well spent

Obviously it is preferable not to have to shell out picks for cash but that's our reality, just accept it

Do you mean that Ottawa is a small market? :naughty:

Listening to Mika's interview kinda bummed me out. He was so obviously disappointed, he really couldn't hide it. Had nothing but nice things to say about the organization and fans. He's such a nice guy despite his shortcomings. I hope this lights a fire under him so he can reach his potential in NY. Always liked him as a player.

Happy to have Brassard, but I can't help but wish Zib the best.

Can't do that on this board. A team ABSOLUTELY HAS TO WIN the trade. A player ABSOLUTELY HAS TO TANK while the other one flourishes.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
To be sure, Sens just got another good francophone player who can sell more tix in Gatineau (Habs hinterland). I like that Brassard is a lefty playmaker...with our new coach and solid scoring wingers, Brassards numbers will likely shoot up to PPG. And he could be useful on rejigged PP.

Bienvenue Derick!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I really hope that Brassard can find chemistry with Hoffman & Ryan & light a fire under their arses. If Mac can't go it would be interesting to see a sniper like Puempel on a line with a playmaker like Stone & Turris. Two offensive lines & two defensive lines should make for an interesting start to the season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do you mean that Ottawa is a small market? :naughty:

Ottawa absolutely is a small market, probably one of the smallest in the NHL and nothing we can do about that considering a decent amount of people already complain about ticket prices when they are great value.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa absolutely is a small market, probably one of the smallest in the NHL and nothing we can do about that considering a decent amount of people already complain about ticket prices when they are great value.

Not the smallest that would be Winnipeg then Edmonton Buffalo Columbus.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
NHL tickets are not great value for most working class families. Anywhere. Except maybe in the discounted sunbelt.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Zibanejad being younger is a plus for the Rangers but is only a minus for Ottawa if they actually intended to or were able to see eye to eye on extending him long term. 4.5-6 million would be the range of what he'll ask for on a long term deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
NHL tickets are not great value for most working class families. Anywhere. Except maybe in the discounted sunbelt.

You can still get decent priced tickets, go to a game for around $100-125 for 4 people. I probably spent about half that to take my daughter to fun haven. I mean, I could have gone to ikea or mcdonalds and let her play in their play area for free, but family entertainment isn't cheap no matter where you go. Taking my kids out to the movies is about $50 in tickets, and then another $15-25 in crappy junk food.

I don't think their pricing is bad, it's just that taking kids out to a hockey game makes for a really long night, particularly if you live in the east end and have to fight traffic/bus to get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad