Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I would argue that the narrative that hyman retrieves the puck at some insanely high level is a bit of a myth, and that what he does with a good number of those pucks he gets is questionable in its value. He's gonna dig those pucks out, but he lacks the passing ability to really do much with them, which is why you so often see him look off Matthews and marner and just try to bulldoze it to the net and lose it
I agree, that's kind of where I was going earlier in the thread. Are there some metrics that suggest he's actually a great possessor of the puck and creator? We all see the eye test that he's a bulldog that you just can't knock off the puck or beat against the boards, but what's done with after he gets it?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I would argue that the narrative that hyman retrieves the puck at some insanely high level is a bit of a myth, and that what he does with a good number of those pucks he gets is questionable in its value. He's gonna dig those pucks out, but he lacks the passing ability to really do much with them, which is why you so often see him look off Matthews and marner and just try to bulldoze it to the net and lose it

McDavid is smarter than Matthews and Marner on the ice. And obviously works much harder.

Reactions: ToneDog

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Oh the post where you're claiming that I'm saying a trade could be executed without the exchange of assets from both sides? Did you mistype "trade" with "sign"? I never said they could trade for Hyman without giving the Leafs anything...

Well, OK. Your words below. Time to own it,

If true (have to believe it’s not), Dubas with another misstep. You don’t do any favours for free in business... he better have already agreed to something with that horrible GM

You think the potential of giving Holland a free window to agree with Hyman and not getting any compensation is good business? That would be Ron Francis levels of ineptitude

You think it’s ok to do free favours for rival GMs allowing them to preempt the market and poach your players?

Reactions: Prominence

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Within the first two pages, I see the same couple of posters spewing bullshit again.. Now we are in trouble because we couldn't afford to give someone a bad contract! Yikes! Why not just talk about whats happening and not bringing up the same shit again.

Anyways, trying to stay on topic of Hyman leaving, it sucks to lose a player like him.. Guy was the heart and soul of the Toronto Maple Leafs but that contract he's getting is a no go, simply can't afford to pay players like Hyman 5.5m a year as the contract always comes back and bites you. Instead you have to walk away and try to find the next Hyman for cheaper.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
2 teams have stepped into bidding since I told you guys about Oilers $5.5M 7 year deal some time back .. this is good for us as Oilers will now give us a pick (6th or 7th rounder i think) to do a trade so they can get 8 years .. Zach now up to around $40M nut from $38.5M nut .. at an 8 year length AAV drops down to $5M per so worth it for Oilers .. I don't think Zach will get more than $40M .. good for you Zach .. well played

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The last 2 years goal production.

Hyman ... 94 games = 36 goals vs Marner .. 114 games (+20 games) = 36 goals

Goals per game Calculation: 36 goals / 94 games played =..382 Goals/g X 82 games = 31.4 goals full season.

Leafs have to find a 1st line LW replacement for $2.25 mil (Hyman's former cap usage) that will produce at a +30 goal over a full season, and bring the compete and physicality and other tangibles Zach does just to BREAK-EVEN production wise and cap usage wise and not have Matthews nor Marner fall off their paces as well.

Hyman playing alongside McDavid on a full year is going to flirt with that 30 goal mark. IMO

Leafs are going to have a difficult time replacing his production at his cap value to retain his former production.

Well they were briefly very close with McCann so maybe not that hard :laugh: They would have had the same problem in a couple of years when his body breaks down so better to pull the band-aid off now without adding $35M in financial obligations to the mix. They can afford a little more than $2.25 but also might be banking on Galch or Mikheyev to plug the hole on the cheap. I would be happy to have 15+g with a lot more physicality so I hope they are exploring some different options.

Also he isn't gone yet. I thought Kerfoot was toast too.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Well, OK. Your words below. Time to own it,
What am I owning there? Are you seeing something that isn't there? Or do you just not understand the simple difference between sign vs trade?

I've said (based on Dreger's tweet) there's a potential outcome that the Oilers have negotiated a 7yr deal and if signed on the 28th may not have to give compensation for the negotiation.. where do I state they've executed a trade with the Oilers without compensation?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't think any of that, even if you just blanket accept your statement, really has much to do with what I said

It does because you were talking about what Hyman does with the puck. I don't agree with your assessment, but even if I did, it is because Matthews and Marner don't pay the price on the ice to find soft areas. Matthews camps out in his normal spot and just waits for the puck. The fact that a guy with his skill with the puck can't get more assists than he does is outrageous. He's just there waiting for pucks to come to him, he's not looking to create offensive chances for the rest of the guys on his line.

McDavid does way more to get open and creates chances for everyone else. If McDavid wanted to play like Matthews and just focus on goals, he would win the Rocket every year.

Reactions: Bluebear

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The last 2 years goal production.

Hyman ... 94 games = 36 goals vs Marner .. 114 games (+20 games) = 36 goals

Goals per game Calculation: 36 goals / 94 games played =..382 Goals/g X 82 games = 31.4 goals full season.

Damn, Mess, you're getting insanely desperate here for some reason I don't understand...

Reactions: Kurtz and kb

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It does because you were talking about what Hyman does with the puck. I don't agree with your assessment, but even if I did, it is because Matthews and Marner don't pay the price on the ice to find soft areas. Matthews camps out in his normal spot and just waits for the puck. The fact that a guy with his skill with the puck can't get more assists than he does is outrageous. He's just there waiting for pucks to come to him, he's not looking to create offensive chances for the rest of the guys on his line.

McDavid does way more to get open and creates chances for everyone else. If McDavid wanted to play like Matthews and just focus on goals, he would win the Rocket every year.

I disagree pretty strongly with your assessment of how Matthews plays, and I think that is what throws the rest of your argument out of whack. Agree to disagree I suppose

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
2 teams have stepped into bidding since I told you guys about Oilers $5.5M 7 year deal some time back .. this is good for us as Oilers will now give us a pick (6th or 7th rounder i think) to do a trade so they can get 8 years .. Zach now up to around $40M nut from $38.5M nut .. at an 8 year length AAV drops down to $5M per so worth it for Oilers .. I don't think Zach will get more than $40M .. good for you Zach .. well played

Didn't have to sit out, get his dad involved, drag it out and get fat in the meantime. Good on you Zack. Hope you hit 35 goals and Connor gets 150 points.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I disagree pretty strongly with your assessment of how Matthews plays, and I think that is what throws the rest of your argument out of whack. Agree to disagree I suppose

What I like about Matthews game is when he hunts down the puck. When he's motivated, he's unreal in that area. The problem is he only plays like that in the third period when Leafs are down 3-1 with 5 to go.

When he's away from the puck, he's stationary and frankly ineffective. It's why the PP turned to garbage. Marner and Matthews are predictable. I could program a robot to defend them successfully.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
All in all it’s a bit sad. I’m sure he wanted to stay and no question Dubas and the team would want him here long term. That flat cap just altered any plan that may have been in place a couple of years ago. What can ya do?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
They would be getting more than a 6th. The 8th year has real value to the Oilers. If not....7 years at $5.5 million is insane.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Didn't have to sit out, get his dad involved, drag it out and get fat in the meantime. Good on you Zack. Hope you hit 35 goals and Connor gets 150 points.
It was weird for some of these guys on here to think we were even in running at 3-4M per on a short term deal .. da comparable was always J Andersen .. and our only chance was a heavy cash component upfront 8 year deal .. now last 2-3 years are gonna be a write-off for Oilers but that is price to get a player today in UFA .. it will cost Oilers a couple 1st rounders to unload him after 5 years .. hopefully they can win a Cup in interim and then no one will care

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be very surprised if Hymans dad isn't involved in his business.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Re: compensation / potentially "losing him" for nothing. IMO, signs point to us gambling that he agrees to an 8 year deal that a team is willing to pay more for than they would for his rights and the *chance* of signing him.

Without the ability to attach a conditional pick the most we're looking at is a 6th/7th, because the "value" of his rights is only the chance to sign him early. Potentially no benefit to the other team.

Having talked to him and arranged the 8 year deal there is now a known and potentially more valuable benefit to acquiring his rights- using the 8th year to lower the aav. Is Holland willing to pay for it? We'll see.

In any case gambling a 7th for this chance + goodwill is the definition of a molehill.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They would be getting more than a 6th. The 8th year has real value to the Oilers. If not....7 years at $5.5 million is insane.
I hope we get more than a 6th too .. da negotiation is occurring right now so we will see how good Dubie is

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
If Hyman ends up getting 7x5.5 or 8x5, what on earth was his ask for 3 or 4 years? You'd have to imagine it starts with a 7, right?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I hope we get more than a 6th too .. da negotiation is occurring right now so we will see how good Dubie is
Big opportunity for brinksmanship. Holland knows that he still gets Hyman but Dubas gets nothing if they can't agree, Dubas knows that Holland is effectively lighting 7 years of capspace on fire if they can't agree.

But yeah, if all we want is a 6th the deal would be done, let's see if he can execute

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Within the first two pages, I see the same couple of posters spewing bullshit again.. Now we are in trouble because we couldn't afford to give someone a bad contract! Yikes! Why not just talk about whats happening and not bringing up the same shit again.

Anyways, trying to stay on topic of Hyman leaving, it sucks to lose a player like him.. Guy was the heart and soul of the Toronto Maple Leafs but that contract he's getting is a no go, simply can't afford to pay players like Hyman 5.5m a year as the contract always comes back and bites you. Instead you have to walk away and try to find the next Hyman for cheaper.

It's fine to walk away from Hyman if the organizing doesn't believe he's worth the money other teams are offering him. But then the question is do the Leafs have a next man up? Leafs clearly don't, so who will be brought in to get to par with what he brought to the table. And that's just to be equal to last year, which was a failure of a campaign. Ideally you are improving, not getting worse.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It will need more....this is more than just trading for the rights to a player. This is about helping a team out too with the 8th year.

I wouldn't do it without a significant return....especially if a signing bonus is involved.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad