Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You know if you take $2 mil overpayment from Marner and $500k overpayment from Matthews and gave it to their linemate Hyman, then you would have Zach's new contract at $ 5 mil covered.

If Marner was on his proper $8.5 mil x 8 deal and Matthews on his proper $11.0 mil x 8 years deal then Hyman at $5 mil x 8 years would fit in for the SAME Cap money to absorb his new contract and raise, and Leafs are paying right now only without Hyman.

Now they have to take his former $2.25 mil and find a new Hyman at 1/2 the cost as a result of those other contracts.
Goodness. And if my aunt had a pecker she’d be my uncle.

I wish we had the room for him, but it’s time to move on. He’s earned his 7/8 year deal, but I still don’t like that term as a gm. 5x 4? No problem. 5 x 7/8? No thanks. He’ll be great with mcdavid though.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Saw your edit- that is what I’m talking about.

btw they could wait until July 28, sign for 7 with no compensation and it would be a disaster from Dubas
How on earth is this a disaster for Dubas?

Mental gymnastics is not an Olympic sport, but in here it is.

Reactions: taurine330

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Dubas has little leverage.. it’s all on how much Holland wants that extra year to bring down the AAV
Dubas has all the leverage until the 27th at 11:59. The Oilers aren’t Seattle, they don’t get any exclusive window for UFAs.

you want to negotiate with one of my players prior to the opening of the UFA window? You agree right now to compensate for the privilege otherwise you take your shot along with 30 other teams

Reactions: KaberLeaf

KaberLeaf

Apr 15, 2018
I have come to love the way Hyman plays the game. He is the one forward on our team that gives everything he has each shift. He doesn’t cheat the game, sacrifices his body to make a play, and goes in fearlessly to the tough areas. His compete level is really out of this world.

Sure, he may have partially stone hands and have not played his best hockey in the playoffs (coming back from injury - likely due to playing each regular season game like a playoff game), but the element he brought to our team is invaluable.

During the trade deadline, there was so much chatter about needing “another Hyman” to be successful in the playoffs. I think this ultimately lead to the Foligno overpayment.

Really sad to see him go, but as most have said, chances are that the contract doesn’t age well and we are already in cap hell anyway. I wonder how we try to bring in the compete element that he brought for us consistently day in and day out? Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Good luck Zach!

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
How on earth is this a disaster for Dubas?

Mental gymnastics is not an Olympic sport, but in here it is.
You think it’s ok to do free favours for rival GMs allowing them to preempt the market and poach your players?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oilers need to do whatever they can to keep McDavid happy as long as possible. Even if the deal looks bad in 4-5 years, it's worth it if McDavid remains happy in Edmonton for the rest of his contract.

Hyman is that guy to make McDavid happy is he? as far as i know they dont know each other for shit, hyman has been a warrior for us but due to age and injuries has been declining each year in what used to make him great. This deal looks bad in as little as 2 years, but i suppose if they win a cup it wont matter but the oilers with 2 players better than any leaf arent any closer to a cup than we are

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am happy for Hyman, he deserves it. Wish him the absolute best. Not going to be cheering against this guy ever, he gave it everything he had while in blue and white. Gotta say this is one of, if not the hardest departures I've seen on this team for a long long time. Really going to miss having him on the Leafs, but that is not a contract that works out in the long run IMO. This has a major risk factor, and not a ton of reward. All the best Hyms, I'm hopeful the EDM fans love you as much as we did!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
eh

ehh, not sure they can reasonably do that, he's a pretty unique player and we had a fantastic value for a few years. I can't think of any UFA we can grab that is so strong on the boards.... obviously would love Landeskog but can't imagine we're gonna toss 9m at him.

I agree, so likely means either an old, cheap player goes in his spot or Dubas finds some waterbug to play in that spot and the team gets LESS physical.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
You think it’s ok to do free favours for rival GMs allowing them to preempt the market and poach your players?
What poaching?
Oilers are going to overpay for Hyman.... If they sign Hyman to under 4 mil per year, yeah, maybe then you can say they poached Hyman.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Lol it’s definitely okay to let other GMs overpay an injured aging middle six forward and ruin their own cap structure.
No argument from me there, love Hyman getting paid by someone not called the Leafs, but you cannot let them get the AAV down for free. It’s a weak ass look

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Saw your edit- that is what I’m talking about.

btw they could wait until July 28, sign for 7 with no compensation and it would be a disaster from Dubas

a disaster? for real? if they do a trade its a 6th or a7th. We arent giving hyman 7 or 8 years no way in hell so he is gone anyway. HAHA A f***ing disaster missing out on a 7th jeezus id hate to be near you in any sort of real crisis if this is your definition of a disaster

Reactions: taurine330 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Where in any of that does it say Dubas is not looking to get anything? Reading something that isn't there is called mental gymnastics.

News flash. For the Oilers to be able to sign Hyman now, they have to trade for his rights.

Again, mental gymnastics ARE necessary for this narrative.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What poaching?
Oilers are going to overpay for Hyman.... If they sign Hyman to under 4 mil per year, yeah, maybe then you can say they poached Hyman.
We wanted Hyman back, even offered the same term. Other team offers more money and potentially doesn’t pay the entry fee to do so. That is poaching.

If we had no interest in bringing him back and it’s a scrub player like Nash, then sure, have at it.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Where in any of that does it say Dubas is not looking to get anything? Reading something that isn't there is called mental gymnastics.

News flash. For the Oilers to be able to sign Hyman now, they have to trade for his rights.

Again, mental gymnastics ARE necessary for this narrative.
You must have missed the preface of “potential” in my posts.

Update on your news flash: they have already agreed to a 7 year deal, so now they can simply just go with that on the 28th and boom, they had a free negotiation at the cost of nothing

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hyman is that guy to make McDavid happy is he? as far as i know they dont know each other for shit, hyman has been a warrior for us but due to age and injuries has been declining each year in what used to make him great. This deal looks bad in as little as 2 years, but i suppose if they win a cup it wont matter but the oilers with 2 players better than any leaf arent any closer to a cup than we are

I think Oilers have done more this offseason to improve their chances than the Leafs. That said, it's early, so ask me again a couple weeks from now.

Most people hate the Keith deal, I think it's a good gamble. And I think Hyman makes McDavid even more dangerous. He's going to get a lot more open looks because of Hyman and Hyman should get a bunch of goals a foot from the net.

No doubt in 4-5 years the deal will be ugly, but Oilers should be in win now mode.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We wanted Hyman back, even offered the same term. Other team offers more money and potentially doesn’t pay the entry fee to do so. That is poaching.

If we had no interest in bringing him back and it’s a scrub player like Nash, then sure, have at it.
You are making things up now.

Take off the Dubas goggles and look OBJECTIVELY.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You must have missed the preface of “potential” in my posts.

Update on your news flash: they have already agreed to a 7 year deal, so now they can simply just go with that on the 28th and boom, they had a free negotiation at the cost of nothing

Many GM’s have allowed their pending UFA’s to talk with other teams. This is hardly groundbreaking.

Reactions: Dekes For Days
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad