Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

And I posted in the other free agent thread but I can't believe leafs were entertaining 8 years. Dubas does some good stuff but that would of been a terrible contract. I don't give a shit if it was only 4 even... you can't give that guy 8 years.

Unless it's a young bonafide superstar, you shouldn't give anyone a 8 year contract. That can handicap an organization for years to come
Especially at the age of 29 for a player who depends lots on his legs and body to play the game

I am really happy for Zach. A true leaf to the bone. But Peter Zezel was a true Leaf and so was Corson. His time has come.

I hope we can pick up a maybe a mid round pick, maybe 5th or 4th. That way we have more than 3 picks to select from this year's draft

Reactions: Burnie97

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
Well..we have to remember that UFA contracts are over payments most of the time. With James Neal and koskinen leaving, 5 million per for a Competitive utility winger will just have to Do. Welcome to Edmonton Zack. I hope you can bang in 30 goals from the 2 best players on the earth.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Well..we have to remember that UFA contracts are over payments most of the time. With James Neal and koskinen leaving, 5 million per for a Competitive utility winger will just have to Do. Welcome to Edmonton Zack. I hope you can bang in 30 goals from the 2 best players on the earth.

That's the key right. When you are used to players like Lucic, Neil and Koskinen at the price they were getting paid, paying Hyman 5 million a year isn't bad at all

Hyman will bring to their team what those guys couldn't. Love the guy, but 8 years is just too much
Also frankly speaking, every player not named Spezza left a sour taste after last playoff run. I am ok people leaving

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You know if you take $2 mil overpayment from Marner and $500k overpayment from Matthews and gave it to their linemate Hyman, then you would have Zach's new contract at $ 5 mil covered.

If Marner was on his proper $8.5 mil x 8 deal and Matthews on his proper $11.0 mil x 8 years deal then Hyman at $5 mil x 8 years would fit in for the SAME Cap money to absorb his new contract and raise, and Leafs are paying right now only without Hyman.

Marner @ $10.9 mil + Matthews @ $11.64 mil + Hyman @ $2.25 mil = $24.75 mil combined Cap.
vs
Marner @ $8.5 mil + Matthews @ $11.00 mil + Hyman @ $ 5.25 mil = $24.75 mil combined Cap.

Now they have to take his former $2.25 mil and try and find a new Hyman at 1/2 the cost as a result of those other contracts and once they do they will be right back the same spot cap wise they are right now at nearly $25 mil for that top line.

Leafs current cap totals already reflect the Hyman raise due to over-payments!!!

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You know if you take $2 mil overpayment from Marner and $500k overpayment from Matthews and gave it to their linemate Hyman, then you would have Zach's new contract at $ 5 mil covered.

If Marner was on his proper $8.5 mil x 8 deal and Matthews on his proper $11.0 mil x 8 years deal then Hyman at $5 mil x 8 years would fit in for the SAME Cap money Leafs are paying right now only without Hyman.

No amount of spin can justify giving Hyman $8 x 5

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

If Marner was on his proper $8.5 mil x 8 deal and Matthews on his proper $11.0 mil x 8 years deal then Hyman at $5 mil x 8 years would fit in for the SAME Cap money Leafs are paying right now only without Hyman.

Even if we did have that cap space, giving it to Hyman for that term is astronomically stupid.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

If Marner was on his proper $8.5 mil x 8 deal and Matthews on his proper $11.0 mil x 8 years deal then Hyman at $5 mil x 8 years would fit in for the SAME Cap money to absorb his new contract and raise, and Leafs are paying right now only without Hyman.

Now they have to take his former $2.25 mil and find a new Hyman at 1/2 the cost as a result of those other contracts.

Even if you have the cap space, you don't give Hyman 8 x 5. That's awful.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What are you talking about? You Dubas haters have only one agenda.
You think the potential of giving Holland a free window to agree with Hyman and not getting any compensation is good business? That would be Ron Francis levels of ineptitude

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

If true (have to believe it’s not), Dubas with another misstep. You don’t do any favours for free in business... he better have already agreed to something with that horrible GM

There has to be compensation if a trade is made. Even a 2023 7th.

That's how this works.

Edit - Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're talking about compensation just for talking to Hyman, which I agree with.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dubas too much of a mr nice guy which is why he a sht negotiator
Yes, that is exactly what this is saying.

Our school systems have obviously went all to hell.

The shit negotiator got through the expansion draft by only losing Hallander. Total shit negotiator. He didn't overpay for a side deal with Seattle like a good negotiator would have.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
There has to be compensation if a trade is made. Even a 2023 7th.

That's how this works.
Saw your edit- that is what I’m talking about.

btw they could wait until July 28, sign for 7 with no compensation and it would be a disaster from Dubas

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017

Now they have to take his former $2.25 mil and find a new Hyman at 1/2 the cost as a result of those other contracts.
I don’t think Matthews is overpaid

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well aware

I didn’t take over Dregers account and tweet from it

btw they could wait until July 28, sign for 7 with no compensation and it would be a disaster from Dubas

Dubas has little leverage.. it’s all on how much Holland wants that extra year to bring down the AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad