News Article: Zach Bogosian - Signs with Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Could they have just put Bogo on unconditional waivers the first time?

I thought that was used for contract termination - a buyout or breach of contract.

Would Bogosian have had to agreed to a mutual termination or left the Sabres so he was in breach of contract (like Berglund did) to use unconditional waivers the 1st time, or no?

@dotcommunism

They have to waive him first. It is the failure to report that gets them the unconditional option.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Whatever. Just end this saga already. If he signs with someone else, so be it. We've seen him play for the past few years. If he signs with a contender he'll be good for 2, maybe 3, games before he reverts back to his normal level.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Pretty funny that most posters would have waived him as soon as he was back from ir and been rid of him. Botterill really is a sucker for that sunk cost fallacy. Endearing that he tried to retain 50% on someone that is worthless instead of retaining on a good player and get more value...

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
2 months ago when he still had 2.5 million of his contract in play, Bogo reports to Rochester when waived. Now that there is little to lose he can fail to report to get the mutual termination.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
2 months ago when he still had 2.5 million of his contract in play, Bogo reports to Rochester when waived. Now that there is little to lose he can fail to report to get the mutual termination.

Does he? His comments around the last time he played indicated a very entitled player.

And if he did, they still save a million in the cap and he shows if he can or can’t play in the AHL.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011

Officially official.

As much as this is pretty helpful, I'm wondering if now 2 years in a row this shit show of an organization has placed people on unconditional waivers for termination, will have any impact on how they are viewed (right, wrong or indifferent if it's the orgs fault with these 2 players)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If that's true, waive him Sunday. If someone loses a guy for a few weeks in the race, maybe they get desperate and move a 7th.
I truly don’t understand your point.

Clearing his entire 5+mil cap hit is far more valuable than getting that 7th and keeping 2.55mil in cap hit.

This is one of the few situations that is playing out in our favor. In theory anyway, I don’t expect Botts to do much with the cap space. But we’ll have it if he actually does.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
As much as this is pretty helpful, I'm wondering if now 2 years in a row this shit show of an organization has placed people on unconditional waivers for termination, will have any impact on how they are viewed (right, wrong or indifferent if it's the orgs fault with these 2 players)

In both cases the Sabres were trying hard to work with the players to both sides' mutual benefit. I'm not sure how either situation can reflect poorly on the organization, unless people are searching for more reasons to dislike the organization.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
At the very least, Botterill and the Sabres can say that they did everything they could to find a better option for a vet player that's close to the team captain. This decision is best for both sides, though almost everyone here wishes it was done sooner. I wish Bogo well on whatever team picks him up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the very least, Botterill and the Sabres can say that they did everything they could to find a better option for a vet player that's close to the team captain. This decision is best for both sides, though almost everyone here wishes it was done sooner. I wish Bogo well on whatever team picks him up.

Though it also opens up the door that they caved to a connected player who clearly wasn't worth his weight in stick tape, giving him an out and getting nothing for it except the months of distraction.

Reactions: seagull

Member 308457

Okposo next? (7 g/$6 mil a year = approx $1 mil /goal)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder how much Bogo's snit and demands distracted his teammates? It's not like they didn't just win their third in a row the night he sat against the Preds. It's also not like they didn't go 1-6-1 in the 8 games immediately afterward.

I'm of a mind to hate this guy even more. It could be coincidental - Jack had the game he missed against the Flyers in there, they had the "we played well and lost" games against Boston and Tampa. But man, just from a distance, that doesn't look great.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Okposo next? (7 g/$6 mil a year = approx $1 mil /goal)

Cap ramifications make it not feasible. Regardless of how he has become a "good" 4th liner he is grossly overpaid and regressing worse and worse. He isn't Moulson level bad ($25 million dollars for f***ing 35 goals) but Okposo is still god awful overall. 24 million in cap the first 4 years and he has 55 goals.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Cap ramifications make it not feasible. Regardless of how he has become a "good" 4th liner he is grossly overpaid and regressing worse and worse. He isn't Moulson level bad ($25 million dollars for f*cking 35 goals) but Okposo is still god awful overall. 24 million in cap the first 4 years and he has 55 goals.

This year, Botts paid Skinner+Vesey+Sheary+Johansson+Frolik 23 MILLION for 37 goals.....

Reactions: Chainshot

Member 308457

Sure he's being paid more than he is worth, but I have 0 issues with how Okposo has performed on this team. He's redefined his game and become a fairly important bottom 6 forward, who can in a pinch move up the lineup.

I admire how he's come back from the life threatening injury and the guy obviously has a lot of character but I'm going from strictly a value for the money point of view and this guy has close to zero value for the money. A $2 million player can do his job and better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I admire how he's come back from the life threatening injury and the guy obviously has a lot of character but I'm going from strictly a value for the money point of view and this guy has close to zero value for the money. A $2 million player can do his job and better.

Right, but the place to look is at the $3-4M players the GM has populated his roster with who don't perform well and deal with moving Okposo's contract when it matters instead of now, when it doesn't.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Moral of the story: keep hiring amateurs to run your team, expect to grossly overpay for secondary scoring.

Reactions: Chainshot

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I truly don’t understand your point.

Clearing his entire 5+mil cap hit is far more valuable than getting that 7th and keeping 2.55mil in cap hit.

This is one of the few situations that is playing out in our favor. In theory anyway, I don’t expect Botts to do much with the cap space. But we’ll have it if he actually does.
I was basically advocating for the most patient man in the world to be patient for two more days. If he has a trade lined up in which he needs the space, then cool i get it

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I wonder how much Bogo's snit and demands distracted his teammates? It's not like they didn't just win their third in a row the night he sat against the Preds. It's also not like they didn't go 1-6-1 in the 8 games immediately afterward.

I'm of a mind to hate this guy even more. It could be coincidental - Jack had the game he missed against the Flyers in there, they had the "we played well and lost" games against Boston and Tampa. But man, just from a distance, that doesn't look great.

I think it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a factor that has at least some sort of negative impact. He's a guy who, despite acting arguably unprofessionally and clearly having an evaluation of his own performance not tethered to reality, has been in a leadership position and has a salient place in that room of players. He's also the explicitly acknowledged best friend of your current captain, leader, best player and the person most important to the franchise in the immediate future. As much as an argument can be made that these guys (the players) are professionals and should be able to objectively evaluate the situation and conclude that he's a detriment to the team, most people generally don't work like that.

Given the lack of grace and self centered manner with which Bogo handled his decline and reduced role, I don't think he did anything to potentially help mitigate that negative impact. And while I can understand his motivations from a human/ego perspective, it also shows why he is a poor choice for any sort of leadership role. His conduct is definitely worthy of at least some level of scorn.

It's one reason where I give Kruger, but not Botts, a bit of a pass for playing Bogo somewhat. If the guy is here and on the roster, given the dynamics of his relationship with the team and it's most important player, I think that's a situation (adopts JBotts voice) where a coach feels like he has to compromise what may be his ideal preferences somewhat and has to try to manage things--give him at least some playing time (he had the least average TOI of any D in the games he did suit up), keep things somewhat neutral in commentary, etc. I think the option of trying to manage it rather than just be blunt in handling it also is preferenced in that while things were playing out, the Sabres weren't totally out of it. If the season is clearly a write-off or you're clearly in a playoff position, then it's more viable to just be direct and not to let to have things play out.

Like so much else that is wrong right now, a lot of it goes back to the poor roster decisions by the GM. His trickle-down incompetence just ends up tainting so many facets of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad