Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Just Listened to two straight draft guys on WGR. Both said he is the best playmaker since McDavid. Overhyping their favorites a bit of course but wild he fell to 13.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s the classic example of the Moneyball scene where Jonah Hill talks about value coming from defects.

”This is Zach Benson. Our tracking puts him as the second most effective playmaker out of over 3000 player evaluations in the last 25 years. He is among the smartest players in the draft and among the most competitive. Oh…and he’s also the best defensive forward in it. His defect is that he’s 5’9 and a half”

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He’s the classic example of the Moneyball scene where Jonah Hill talks about value coming from defects.

”This is Zach Benson. Our tracking puts him as the second most effective playmaker out of over 3000 player evaluations in the last 25 years. He is among the smartest players in the draft and among the most competitive. Oh…and he’s also the best defensive forward in it. His defect is that he’s 5’9 and a half”
One of my favorite films.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Hot take: I think he pushes for a roster spot this year
Well people have been saying that about Savoie all year, and Benson is better than Savoie already, so it doesn't sound like a hot take to me. I think he's a long shot to get more than 9 games, but he's good enough that he can preobably at least tread water in the NHL as a teen.

Reactions: stokes84

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
There is too many players KA needs to get a look at and Savoie is not going to spend another year in juniors. Even if Benson is better, which he isn't yet, he will go back. The kid turned 18 in may he isn't starting in NHL. Don't forget Savoie had a slow start to his season coming back from injury but was incredible in the back end. Plus Savoie performed better in the playoffs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Congrats on your pick. I mean, he might end up being a small player that will never make it, and i know that you have a lot of smallish, skilled wings... but damn, this guy appears to be a wizard! Absolute no brainer of a pick.

MN got their own version of this pick when Heidt fell to the last pick in the 2nd. An even bigger WTF moment than Benson at #13... did any rankings have Benson that low?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Congrats on your pick. I mean, he might end up being a small player that will never make it, and i know that you have a lot of smallish, skilled wings... but damn, this guy appears to be a wizard! Absolute no brainer of a pick.

MN got their own version of this pick when Heidt fell to the last pick in the 2nd. An even bigger WTF moment than Benson at #13... did any rankings have Benson that low?
Button had him at 14. Everyone else was in the single digits. Button also had ASP at 5…so…you know.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Savoie performed better in the playoffs because Benson was playing with one arm after hurting his shoulder the last month of the regular season

Savoie also dealt with injuries last year, just earlier on, which is why he started so slowly and played his best hockey at the end of the season. Both of these kids were fantastic when they were playing healthy.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Savoie also dealt with injuries last year, just earlier on, which is why he started so slowly and played his best hockey at the end of the season. Both of these kids were fantastic when they were playing healthy.
Absolutely, I posted the 30 minute highlights a little higher, Benson and Savoie have great chemistry and skill, there were a lot of great goals with these two.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Everyone seems to ignore that part. Savoie is still my #2 behind Levi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad