Player Discussion Zac Jones

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Anyway you want to spin it, its a good problem for the Rangers to have defensive prospects like Jones, Lundkvist, Schneider & Robertson piling into a log jam over the next few seasons.

I think if Miller can establish more of a physical presence he's made himself more of a lock to stick around.

When Schneider is ready there is a spot for him, because not only does he possess and all-around tough game but he has very good leadership capabilities.

I think the tradeable, more "redundant" assets are Nils, Zac and Matt. But these 3 will all be very good players the Rangers HAVE to get a bounty for. The 3 of them would be at or near the top of almost any other teams prospect lists.

I am higher on Roberston than most. I think he kinda flies under the radar because he isnt very flashy. Hes just solid, can really skate, move the puck and escape traffic, all with great size. If anyone can replace Nemeth for the "role" he's been given (less the veteran tutelage status) its Roberston.

Roberson gives McDonagh vibes and would that be a fair comparison. Schneider reminds me of Barrett Jackman.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anyway you want to spin it, its a good problem for the Rangers to have defensive prospects like Jones, Lundkvist, Schneider & Robertson piling into a log jam over the next few seasons.

I think if Miller can establish more of a physical presence he's made himself more of a lock to stick around.

When Schneider is ready there is a spot for him, because not only does he possess and all-around tough game but he has very good leadership capabilities.

I think the tradeable, more "redundant" assets are Nils, Zac and Matt. But these 3 will all be very good players the Rangers HAVE to get a bounty for. The 3 of them would be at or near the top of almost any other teams prospect lists.

I am higher on Roberston than most. I think he kinda flies under the radar because he isnt very flashy. Hes just solid, can really skate, move the puck and escape traffic, all with great size. If anyone can replace Nemeth for the "role" he's been given (less the veteran tutelage status) its Roberston.

If you want leadership, you should hold on to Nils Lundkvist ;)

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Hopefully GG looks for the best camp performance for the 3LD spot....if Robertson shines in camp I hope Nemeth sits.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm a big Zac Jones fan, but I can't say I am devastated that he has to battle with Patrik Nemeth to make the team. If he can't beat out Nemeth, maybe he needs some seasoning in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that at age 20.
Idk why it can’t be this simple. There’s no need to rush him to the NHL, and it’ll be better for him to figure out his game at a professional pace in Hartford. Having a talented AHL thing isn’t a bad thing, and it’ll be better for the franchise as a whole

Reactions: Do you want ants

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If you want leadership, you should hold on to Nils Lundkvist ;)

I dont want him going anywhere!

I definitely want to see how he fits in on this team and hopefully he is given a chance on the PP where he is pretty damn special on that off-side. I would be pretty depressed if we didnt see Nils in a blueshirt.

Is it Fox Lundkvist Schneider on the right side in a few years? Can Nils play LD? Do we have to worry about that right now?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I dont want him going anywhere!

I definitely want to see how he fits in on this team and hopefully he is given a chance on the PP where he is pretty damn special on that off-side. I would be pretty depressed if we didnt see Nils in a blueshirt.

Is it Fox Lundkvist Schneider on the right side in a few years? Can Nils play LD? Do we have to worry about that right now?

Trouba's NMC expires in 2024, the same year Lundkvist (Arb eligible) and Schneider (No arb rights) are RFA. I think long-term, our depth on the right side will be Fox-Lundkvist-Schneider, unless they transition Lundkvist to the left to fill a need there.

Lundkvist has said several times in interviews with me that he feels comfortable on the left, and that he thinks he can handle it. He is comfortable using his backhand defensively, which is the biggest challenge for defensemen playing on their off-side, but Lundkvist has been paired with other RHDs before, and was always the one closing the gap on the left when needed.

So, FWIW, I think Lundkvist can make that transition if needed. But until Schneider shows he's NHL ready (and that might not be for another year or two) we can push this conversation forward.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Because he didn't turn out to be a salary dump. Yzerman just resigned Marc to be a top 4 dman there. And all the discussion in Detroit when they resigned Staal was how happy they are with him. Whereas they traded Nemeth last season for a 4th round pick. So when looking at all the factors it seems to me that Yzerman prefers Staal to Nemeth.

BTW - if they did get a 2nd round pick for Nemeth (not a 4th) as you said I would agree with you, or at least not reach the conclusion I did.

I meant he got a 2nd round pick from the Rangers to take Staal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
JMHO, I don’t buy that Lundkvist can play on the left. Playing on the wrong side in college and Europe is another thing, the NHL game is so much faster and it’s time that is the issue. I’ve numerous times heard about Ds that think they can adjust or that they even prefer it there. Skjei and McDonagh are two examples.

Ultimately, physically you are at a fairly large disadvantage on the wrong side in many repetitive situation that ends up with you taking a pounding, while it’s a minor advantage in some ways. If you have a D that can get by giving up a handicap in the NHL, it might work.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Game-plan must be to play Nemeth-Lundkvist for a while, trade Lundkvist and then play Jones-Schneider.

Of course with the caveat that the play of the players involve can result in you being forced to reevaluate that strategy.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hopefully GG looks for the best camp performance for the 3LD spot....if Robertson shines in camp I hope Nemeth sits.

If all of Miller, Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson, Schneider ALL start in Hartford, I won't mind,
They will play lots, while Gallant will figure which vets he needs/likes, and those kids will all get their shots as they earn 'em

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If all of Miller, Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson, Schneider ALL start in Hartford, I won't mind,
They will play lots, while Gallant will figure which vets he needs/likes, and those kids will all get their shots as they earn 'em

Well Miller and 1 of Jones , Lundkvist , Schneider won’t . Robertson , 2 of those guys , Reuananen , Bitetto, Skinner gives 6 D

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Well Miller and 1 of Jones , Lundkvist , Schneider won’t . Robertson , 2 of those guys , Reuananen , Bitetto, Skinner gives 6 D

Miller will only be in Hartford if he looks like AHL fodder in camp, gets hurt or is on a conditioning stint. Lundkvist should make the team in my opinion but only if he can take someone's spot and earn it. he already played against men, same with Jones.

2 of Jones, Miller and Lundkvist will all be on this team

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Miller will only be in Hartford if he looks like AHL fodder in camp, gets hurt or is on a conditioning stint. Lundkvist should make the team in my opinion but only if he can take someone's spot and earn it. he already played against men, same with Jones.

Not that I expect it to happen, but Chytil started the season in Hartford after playing 75 NHL games the year prior so it's not impossible.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

yea I agree I’m thinking Miller and Lundkvist but camp will determine that and they obviously like Jones

on paper they sit pretty Imo . Someone may go still too

Lindgren , Fox
Miller , Trouba
Nemeth , Lundkvist
Hajek

Robertson , Schneider
Reunanen , Jones
Bitetto , Skinner
Tinordi

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Trouba's NMC expires in 2024, the same year Lundkvist (Arb eligible) and Schneider (No arb rights) are RFA. I think long-term, our depth on the right side will be Fox-Lundkvist-Schneider, unless they transition Lundkvist to the left to fill a need there.

Lundkvist has said several times in interviews with me that he feels comfortable on the left, and that he thinks he can handle it. He is comfortable using his backhand defensively, which is the biggest challenge for defensemen playing on their off-side, but Lundkvist has been paired with other RHDs before, and was always the one closing the gap on the left when needed.

So, FWIW, I think Lundkvist can make that transition if needed. But until Schneider shows he's NHL ready (and that might not be for another year or two) we can push this conversation forward.

Thanks and I agree.

I had a feeling that was the case, I remember reading your interview. I think Nils having the ability to play both sides is a HUGE plus for the Rangers. Whether or not they will tap into that remains to be seen.

But yeah, a discussion for another time hinging on Trouba and the development of Schneider/Lundkvist

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
yea I agree I’m thinking Miller and Lundkvist but camp will determine that and they obviously like Jones

Lindgren , Fox
Miller , Trouba
Nemeth , Lundkvist
Hajek

Robertson , Schneider
Reunanen , Jones
Bitetto , Skinner
Tinordi

Thats a heck of a D corps for the Pack.

Are Roberston, Schneider and Skinner definitely going to play in Hartford? I thought they still had some junior eligibility. Or is due to Covid.

Reactions: tbassler

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Lindgren , Fox
Miller , Trouba
Nemeth , Lundkvist
Hajek

Robertson , Schneider
Reunanen , Jones
Bitetto , Skinner
Tinordi

I expect Hajek to get traded for a pick or center depth prospect.

Hajek does not have a spot on this team in my opinion, which is why they protected him in the expansion draft in my opinion to trade him

LyNX27

Having a logjam of D prospects with an interesting variety of skill sets is a great problem to have...

- Gutting it for a trade doesn't seem scary.
- I think this corp will develop trade value if growth continues.
- Injuries on the defensive side won't kill us either.
- Defensive prospects stewing in the AHL is not a bad approach (game time in different situations).
- Nemeth makes a good bottom pairing tutor and has size.

This feels good, we can let them truly compete for roles and bring the best out of the youth.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Back on the Jones note, from the comments section, the writer also had these to say:

"Jones really stood out at this skate to me. I liked him"

Question to writer: ("@Max Bultman Can you expand on this? What about him stood out?")
Response: "His hands for sure, but also just the buy-in/effort level. That part's hard to kind of quantify, but I just was impressed by him and the work he was putting in."

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Having a logjam of D prospects with an interesting variety of skill sets is a great problem to have...

- Gutting it for a trade doesn't seem scary.
- I think this corp will develop trade value if growth continues.
- Injuries on the defensive side won't kill us either.
- Defensive prospects stewing in the AHL is not a bad approach (game time in different situations).
- Nemeth makes a good bottom pairing tutor and has size.

This feels good, we can let them truly compete for roles and bring the best out of the youth.

what a shame this isn’t the late 90’s or pre-cap. The Rangers could keep them all plus add.

Now the Rangers are loaded with prospects and a cap . . . a stagnant Covid cap. Smh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad