Player Discussion Zac Jones

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
did he get a NTC?

He’s making $2.5 million per.
That doesn't mean he will play here for 3 years, it just means we trade him after 1 or 2
No idea why but I thought we signed him for 1 year, I would’ve been shitting on Drury even more than I already have been had I known we signed Nemeth for 3 years. Just checked and yup he does have a M-NTC too lmao

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
No idea why but I thought we signed him for 1 year, I would’ve been shitting on Drury even more than I already have been had I known we signed Nemeth for 3 years. Just checked and yup he does have a M-NTC too lmao

Handing out NTC's like Tic Tacs lol

I dont think it will make much of a difference if they go to trade him, there are still 23 teams he can be traded to.

The issue is what happens next season. You can get away with Jones being up and down this season but if he shows he can play at this level then somethings gotta give

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We all knew that

1) Miller needed a safety blanket

2) Jones and Robertson need AHL seasoning.

3) Reaunanen Isn’t a penalty killer.

4$ nils needed a veteran partner

Nemeth may not have been our first choice but we could have done worse.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Jones will need time in the AHL. Signing Nemeth was a no-brainer and his cap hit is not bad at all. The guy is making $2.5m which is literally ideal for a 3rd pairing veteran d-man. If someone pushes then he can be traded easily. His NTC is for 8 teams. Let's take a guess who those 8 teams are....

Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Who could the mysterious 8th team be!?!?

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
We all knew that

1) Miller needed a safety blanket

2) Jones and Robertson need AHL seasoning.

3) Reaunanen Isn’t a penalty killer.

4$ nils needed a veteran partner

Nemeth may not have been our first choice but we could have done worse.

Everybody is looking for depth D-men at the deadline. If the kids show out, we'll have no problem moving him

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Nemeth will be ~ 32 years old in year 3, well on the downside of his mediocre career. Don't be so sure teams will be lining up to take him off the Rangers hands at that point. More likely the Rangers will have to throw in a draft pick to entice someone to do so.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nemeth will be ~ 32 years old in year 3, well on the downside of his mediocre career. Don't be so sure teams will be lining up to take him off the Rangers hands at that point. More likely the Rangers will have to throw in a draft pick to entice someone to do so.

Defensemen peak later. His deal takes him for years 29, 30 and 31. If that's old, most of us here are ancient.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Defensemen peak later. His deal takes him for years 29, 30 and 31. If that's old, most of us here are ancient.
Nemeth will be 30 this Feb. 8. I am ancient and I still accept that Nemeth has peaked already. His best seasons were a few years ago. He is already trending down.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Jones will need time in the AHL. Signing Nemeth was a no-brainer and his cap hit is not bad at all. The guy is making $2.5m which is literally ideal for a 3rd pairing veteran d-man. If someone pushes then he can be traded easily. His NTC is for 8 teams. Let's take a guess who those 8 teams are....

Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Who could the mysterious 8th team be!?!?

Rangers

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You guys must be bored if you're scraping the bottom of this barrel for something to bitch about.

Nemeth is a fine signing and something that was sorely needed. If Jones or Robertson can't beat out Nemeth for a spot when the time comes then they simply don't deserve a spot. Those guys have a combined 10 games of NHL experience to their credit. There's plenty for them to learn in the AHL.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
You guys must be bored if you're scraping the bottom of this barrel for something to bitch about.

Nemeth is a fine signing and something that was sorely needed. If Jones or Robertson can't beat out Nemeth for a spot when the time comes then they simply don't deserve a spot. Those guys have a combined 10 games of NHL experience to their credit. There's plenty for them to learn in the AHL.
Nemeth is a crap signing. I see in short order him getting the Staal treatment on this board. Even given his more modest contract. FWIW - Izerman (nobody's fool) prefers Staal to Nemeth.

Drury to date:
Buch - bad trade
Reeves - would have been OK for 1 year; 2nd year before a show me period a mistake
Tinordi - can only punch, not play. Smith - far better hockey player with some physicality signed for less
Goodrow - I thought it was OK even with the excessive term; what you have to do to sign a FA.
Nemeth - 3 years is ridiculous; will be paying for that extra year one way or another.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Nemeth is a crap signing. I see in short order him getting the Staal treatment on this board. Even given his more modest contract. FWIW - Izerman (nobody's fool) prefers Staal to Nemeth.

Drury to date:
Buch - bad trade
Reeves - would have been OK for 1 year; 2nd year before a show me period a mistake
Tinordi - can only punch, not play. Smith - far better hockey player with some physicality signed for less
Goodrow - I thought it was OK even with the excessive term; what you have to do to sign a FA.
Nemeth - 3 years is ridiculous; will be paying for that extra year one way or another.

How does Yzerman prefer Staal to Nemeth? He signed him cheaper and for less years. And he got a 2nd round pick with him last year.

Reactions: Thirty One

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
How does Yzerman prefer Staal to Nemeth? He signed him cheaper and for less years. And he got a 2nd round pick with him last year.
Because he didn't turn out to be a salary dump. Yzerman just resigned Marc to be a top 4 dman there. And all the discussion in Detroit when they resigned Staal was how happy they are with him. Whereas they traded Nemeth last season for a 4th round pick. So when looking at all the factors it seems to me that Yzerman prefers Staal to Nemeth.

BTW - if they did get a 2nd round pick for Nemeth (not a 4th) as you said I would agree with you, or at least not reach the conclusion I did.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Drury to date:
Buch - bad trade

"I just want to bitch about Drury under the guise of Zac Jones getting blocked" is far fewer characters, FYI.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Zac Jones discussion begot Nemeth alternative to Zac begot Drury signing Nemeth debate. Was a bit lazy of me. Didn't need or want to start another Drury sucks thread so I threw it in here. Seemed relevant enough but perhaps not.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Back on Jones...Wheeler from The Athletic also did his top 50 league-wide prospect ranking and had Jones at #42. Pretty impressive for a 3rd round pick.

42. Zac Jones, LHD, 20 (New York Rangers — 68th overall, 2019)
None of the players ranked ahead of Jones were selected after where he was, and only two of the ones that followed were, so Rangers fans should count their lucky stars here. I do think it’s kind of interesting that all three of the prospects who were selected in the third round or later and made the list were defensemen, though. I don’t think that’s a coincidence and anecdotally I’d probably guess that it’s linked to the bigger challenges that still exist in evaluating defensemen (especially teenaged ones) than forwards. But Jones belongs here given everything he has accomplished in the last three years. He just gets it. He understands how to make plays that drive results. He understands how to defend without needing to be big or powerful while doing it. He manufactures offense without ever looking like he’s forcing it. He’s just a functional, methodical defender whose game fits in with the way the NHL game is trending. His ceiling probably tops out as a No. 3 or a No. 4, but I think he can be really good in that kind of role long term.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
"I just want to bitch about Drury under the guise of Zac Jones getting blocked" is far fewer characters, FYI.

I'm a big Zac Jones fan, but I can't say I am devastated that he has to battle with Patrik Nemeth to make the team. If he can't beat out Nemeth, maybe he needs some seasoning in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that at age 20.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Anyway you want to spin it, its a good problem for the Rangers to have defensive prospects like Jones, Lundkvist, Schneider & Robertson piling into a log jam over the next few seasons.

I think if Miller can establish more of a physical presence he's made himself more of a lock to stick around.

When Schneider is ready there is a spot for him, because not only does he possess and all-around tough game but he has very good leadership capabilities.

I think the tradeable, more "redundant" assets are Nils, Zac and Matt. But these 3 will all be very good players the Rangers HAVE to get a bounty for. The 3 of them would be at or near the top of almost any other teams prospect lists.

I am higher on Roberston than most. I think he kinda flies under the radar because he isnt very flashy. Hes just solid, can really skate, move the puck and escape traffic, all with great size. If anyone can replace Nemeth for the "role" he's been given (less the veteran tutelage status) its Roberston.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad