Player Discussion Zac Jones

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Jones is a good player and has great offensive instincts. He's small so against bigger, physical teams that attack like Vegas he could have problems. I think one of Lundkvist or Jones will eventually be traded especially with bigger guys like Schneider and Robertson in the wings.
I crave a Schneider-Robertson pairing. 2022-2023?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I crave a Schneider-Robertson pairing. 2022-2023?

Maybe some day but not next year. They are never going to put 2 rookies together. I would actually like to see Lundkvist and Jones this year but I know it's never going to happen. We will always see one of Nemeth, Tinordi, or Hajek this year unfortunately.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe some day but not next year. They are never going to put 2 rookies together. I would actually like to see Lundkvist and Jones this year but I know it's never going to happen. We will always see one of Nemeth, Tinordi, or Hajek this year unfortunately.
Yeah and while I do think Schneider will be ready to step in by the start of next year, I don't quite think Robertson is there.

Reactions: Fitzy

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I think if Schneider plays well and sticks in the lineup, the chances of a Schneider-Roberston pair next year rise. There's potentially 45 games -- more than half a season -- for Schneider to shed his newbie status.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I agree with 2k2 that Robertson is a fall 2023 option.

Really think it comes down to Jones vs Lundkvist for the #6 spot with Hajek the de facto #7. Jones gets an advantage due to handedness.

NYR did run two rookies together in Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto, but they were sheltered hard. That 09-10 roster was only even in playoff consideration because we leaned on Hank for 73 games.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Robertson is fall 2023 unless we have some serious bad luck with injuries. I imagine Jones will be 6D and Hajek is gonna ride pine again at 7D. The pairings will need to get shuffled to keep Jones-Schneider apart from each other but who knows, if they played together as a pair in HFD, they might have a lot of chemistry already.

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
20-25 points would be a fairly successful season. 30-40 would put him the top 100 D, so while I guess he literally "could," let's pump the brakes just a lil bit.

He has absolutely zero chance of hitting 40 points unless Fox misses almost the entire season. If he scores 40 points with his TOI and a PP2 role he would quite possibly have the highest pts/60 in the entire NHL among dman. If he scores 35 5v5 pts at 14:40 5v5/game (Schneiders TOI last year at 5v5) that would be roughly equivalent to Makar's scoring rate last year. A more reasonable expecting with third pairing and PP2 time is 20-25 points (as you stated).

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If he's given a real opportunity, plays most games, gets PP2 QB time. He could score between 30-40 points.
Even if all of he above happen, (remember PP2, gets little time) I just don't see that happening. If he DOES get 30-40 we will be gold, and not just 18 karat.

Forgetting about his offense for a minute, I wonder exactly how much he worked on strengthening and even improving on his already good skating. I think this is where he will really be a huge factor, if and only if he can become a much better defenseman.

We need to be able to rely on our 3rd pairing. Saw much too much being hemmed in, especially when 4th line was on the ice.
THAT should NEVER happen.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If he's given a real opportunity, plays most games, gets PP2 QB time. He could score between 30-40 points.
Eh, seems unlikely. 2nd unit doesn't really put up any points since they are only out for 30 seconds, and barely have time to set anything up since the line change is normally after the other teams dumps the puck down.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think Jones needs to provide offense if he is going to hold off Robertson. Nils did nothing offensively in his stint and the Rangers went with the guy with size in Schneider. I see a similar timeline this season with Jones & Robertson

Reactions: Lone Ranger

maris

Oct 20, 2005
I think Jones needs to provide offense if he is going to hold off Robertson. Nils did nothing offensively in his stint and the Rangers went with the guy with size in Schneider. I see a similar timeline this season with Jones & Robertson
Just based on Offense, between Jones and Nils, who do you think has the higher ceiling???

Secondarily, who might be better defensively???

Is it too early to speculate on such matters??

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Just based on Offense, between Jones and Nils, who do you think has the higher ceiling???

Secondarily, who might be better defensively???

Is it too early to speculate on such matters??

Course not, speculation is what we do.

Carvel though Jones had work to do on the defensive side before going pro. If he's here, it isn't going to be a as a stay at home defenseman. He can learn a lot from Fox about ways to defend effectively with his stick, but he';s never going to have that brain.

It's a tricky situation. You don't see many offensive minded 3rd pairing dmen stick. I think if Jones becomes a Ranger long term, it'll be on the eventual second pair. Third pair this season as transitory.

Depending on how Jones plays and how Miller and Robertson progresses, you have options as to how to proceed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad