Player Discussion Zac Jones

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Never know....... the great and magical Hajek could probably play 60 minutes as our only LD. He might steal everyone's spot at LD. Clearly, Drury and Gallant are enamored with such a dynamic hockey wizard.
Hajek is playing well. The never ending sarcasm at his expense is getting really old. He, like the other young D, will benefit from more experience. But his skillset is pretty damn good.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Hajek is playing well. The never ending sarcasm at his expense is getting really old. He, like the other young D, will benefit from more experience. But his skillset is pretty damn good.

Let's see how long that lasts. Referencing a short, outlying period does not turn a donkey into a stallion. And up to this point, even suggesting he's a donkey is an insult to donkeys.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Jones has been good as a rookie so far. Pretty much the same as Lundkvist. Some mistakes, some nice plays, overall solid defense that isn't hurting us, and playing safe hockey. That's really exactly what you want from a rookie defenseman. Let them both continue to play this way and gain experience at the NHL level.

And Hajek has definitely played his best hockey at the NHL level over the last few games.

Reactions: leetch99

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Libor is playing better than expected for sure. But he has little upside with no offense and little physicality. Jones is already more impactful than Hajek, Nemeth & Nils (who is playing pretty well himself). Hopefully Hajek has developed some trade value. I can't see Jones coming out of the lineup if he continues to play at this level. I think the coach is falling in love with his game. Far cry from the 3rd pair early in the season. And obviously Zac is only going to improve. Unfortunate that the Rangers will have the smallest D in the league and that will be an issue in the playoffs when they get targeted but it is what it is.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
He looks so promising. If he’s actually ready to stick on the roster it will be a major boon.

Reactions: McSauer

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
He was targeted physically and taken advantage of physically by a big and strong Vegas team last night.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He was targeted physically and taken advantage of physically by a big and strong Vegas team last night.

well he’s small so that’s the worry

I don’t see him playing full time w Nemeth back

They won’t bench the vet so that 6th spot will be a revolving door imo

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Fun player to watch. He plays at a pace that pretty much no one else on the team plays at.

Reminds me of ADA in that regard.
I like the way he is trending and actually looks better than ADA at the same age imo. Don’t think he will ever reach ADA’s peak, but he may come closer than I thought.

Reactions: leetch99

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I like the way he is trending and actually looks better than ADA at the same age imo. Don’t think he will ever reach ADA’s peak, but he may come closer than I thought.

I think Jones's game is more subtle than ADA's. ADA is a dynamic presence at times. Jones just appears in good spots that you don't necessarily see coming.

Reactions: Rempe73

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I think you saw this formula often. Think back to Beukeboom and Leetch. Big, physical, stay-at-home defenseman supports smaller, nimble offensive defenseman. Granted the game has changed a bit since then, but I think that mentality can be reworked for today's game to support a player like Jones. I really hope they keep him progressing in the right way and give him every option to succeed. I really like him.

Reactions: Fitzy

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Libor is playing better than expected for sure. But he has little upside with no offense and little physicality. Jones is already more impactful than Hajek, Nemeth & Nils (who is playing pretty well himself). Hopefully Hajek has developed some trade value. I can't see Jones coming out of the lineup if he continues to play at this level. I think the coach is falling in love with his game. Far cry from the 3rd pair early in the season. And obviously Zac is only going to improve. Unfortunate that the Rangers will have the smallest D in the league and that will be an issue in the playoffs when they get targeted but it is what it it is MUCH more physical than Hajek, yeaah and even Jones is too... if even more willing to absorb hits, at least. Gallant's constant reference to him as a "steady guy" is a coaches polite way of saying he skates at an NHL level but thati's basically it.

Nemeth could be good if he could move.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Yeah Tony has Lindgren-esque snarl and Jones' skill. Jones also doesn't seem like a complete idiot off the ice, so he is better than Tony at that 100%.
TDA never hit like Lindgren. He was willing to drop the gloves but he does not play a physical game otherwise and his D coverage has never been good. He can put the puck in the net though.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
TDA never hit like Lindgren. He was willing to drop the gloves but he does not play a physical game otherwise and his D coverage has never been good. He can put the puck in the net though.

Yeah, I meant just 'feistier and good at it' in relation to Lindgren. And I always thought he'd get better and better and he has in all areas of his game.

but f*ck that guy. Zac Jones baby!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pionk is a pretty underrated player. Maybe not the guy you want as a 1D or first pair but he has an engine and can play all night long if you need him to step up and he can play all situations. He also despite his size makes a lot of body contact. He’s a competitive player and he has decent offensive skill.

I do much prefer Trouba though.

Things have to sort out still between Jones and Lundkvist. I just don’t see us going very far into the future with both.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Pionk is a pretty underrated player. Maybe not the guy you want as a 1D or first pair but he has an engine and can play all night long if you need him to step up and he can play all situations. He also despite his size makes a lot of body contact. He’s a competitive player and he has decent offensive skill.

I do much prefer Trouba though.

Things have to sort out still between Jones and Lundkvist. I just don’t see us going very far into the future with both.
Pionk was so up and down with us. He definitely played his best hockey in the NHL with the Jets.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Jones is a good player and has great offensive instincts. He's small so against bigger, physical teams that attack like Vegas he could have problems. I think one of Lundkvist or Jones will eventually be traded especially with bigger guys like Schneider and Robertson in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad