Player Discussion Zac Jones

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
the main issue we’re going to face with Nils is they just won’t be able to put him in a position here to truly showcase his talents or where he would have the biggest impact on the game.
Say he hits his ceiling, he’s not taking PP duties from Fox. He’s not taking top 4 minutes from Trouba. Schneider will eventually, but Trouba is playing well and not going anywhere for at least another 2 seasons after this, maybe more.
When that occurs, it will likely be Schneider that steps into Trouba’s role. I just don’t see where nils fits on this team after this season....
As many have said. Jones- Schneider could have played 3rd pair this season to start.
It is a luxury we had Nemeth-Lundkvist this season to give them heavy minutes in Hartford.
As edge said, I think that was the original plan, but giving them 1 more year of heavy minutes in the A would help both of them.
We know that for at least 2-3 years probably longer that these guys aren’t going anywhere....
Lindgren-Fox ( you don’t break up a 24 yr old proven 1st pair with a Norris winner)

miller-Trouba ( org loves miller. He’s making tremendous strides. Trouba playing well and helping miller along. Contractually and importance wise, trouba not going anywhere.)

Jones-Schneider ( Jones is playing beyond everyone’s expectations. His growth since college seems to be above and beyond. Schneider is the heir apparent to Trouba eventually. A guy that is big tough hits like a truck and has untapped offense. We have no other D man with a package like that in our system. He’s not going anywhere. Fits the mandate of being tougher to play against)

that leaves Nemeth/Lundkvist. Nemeth is a short timer here. Lundkvist is blocked mostly by Fox of where he’d be deployed, and likely play a similar style to Jones/Fox/and miller.
It’s beyond obvious to me, he’s the guy most likely to be traded.
What’s going to be interesting to see is what the rangers do with Robertson 2 years down the line. Will he be traded? Or an eventual replacement for Lindgren if he prices himself out on the blue line???

Well, in most of that I agree with you. Which is why I have been suggesting that Lundkvist might end up being the young D that eventually gets traded, rather than say Jones or Robertson or Schneider.

All though, if Lundkvist were a 3rd pair guy but the PP2 guy, I do think that's good enough opportunity for him for his rookie year, and probably a couple of years. The problem though, is I do not think he is doing much to deserve those positions right now. Ultimately, you are right though about Fox being in his way. Lundkvist would have to be as good or better than Fox to replace him on the PP probably. Or he would need to switch to LD. Both, I think unlikely right now. And I personally think Lundkvist as a player, in terms of development, would be better served in Hartford getting max ice time and top PP opportunity there.

And yes, Jones is thriving. Schneider is doing well, and I also think he will eventually replace Trouba. And even though no one really discusses him, Reunanen is playing very well. Again, he has 8 points in 16 games and is a +8, compared to Jones' 13 points in 18 games with a -1. So a bit less offense from Reunanen, but more solid all around play I think. That and his age, 23, and the fact that I think he's a relatively good trade piece, is why I think we should maybe give him a shot first. Even though I do think Jones will ultimately be the better player. But Jones also just turned 21 in November. So I think he can still use a bit more time.

I would much rather see Reunanen getting games than Tinordi or even Nemeth honestly. I don't think Tinordi or Nemeth have been that good. Nemeth won't lose his roster spot, but he doesn't need to play every game. And I am a little more down on Miller than I think some others are. But I wouldn't really suggest moving Miller down the chart unless someone else proved/earned his spot. Which they aren't going to do sitting in Hartford most likely. But if Reunanen for a couple of weeks, played well enough, I see no reason to relegate him to Hartford. Or if Jones came up and did the same.

And again, if Lundkvist started shredding in Hartford, then they could always bring him back up.

But if I were Drury, I would honestly be sending out some queries as to what kind of return we could get for Lundkvist. If we could theoretically get someone like Turcotte or Perfetti or whatever, then I might be inclined to make such a move. And if Reunanen played well if given the opportunity, that doesn't mean we have to keep him. Maybe we could trade him and maybe a smaller secondary piece, for someone like Kupari, if Reunanen played well enough. Allowing us to get a young center and keep Lundkvist. I mean, all these things and more are options.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Why are people complaining about Miller? He's way ahead of where he should be at this point.

Is he? Granted, I think he has played a bit better over the past couple of weeks. But I still wouldn't say he's ready for or playing at a top 4 position level on a "playoff" team. But then, I still think we are in a developmental year. So I would ok with keeping him where he is UNLESS someone else proved they could do better. Which we can only know by giving them opportunity with the Rangers. Which is why I am suggesting sending Lundkvist down and giving someone else a shot, to see where they are at and how they react to being in the NHL. And then, IF that player is producing at a higher level, we could consider moving Miller to 3rd pair for now and giving the 2LD spot to whichever player proves themselves more capable. IF they prove themselves more capable.

That doesn't mean one of the other young D wouldn't be producing at a higher clip in his position.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Finally. Sure, it might only be temporary due to protocols, but I sure as heck hope he makes some positive noise while he's with the club.

He's certainly been one of the best Dmen in the AHL so far this season. On the offensive end, I am not sure there is much left for him to learn in the AHL. While his complete game might still need some work, offensively, I think he's "there".

And I am shocked that Hajek is on the second line with Trouba and getting more minutes than Nils and Jones last game...... and honestly, the team as a whole played well, so Hajek wasn't THAT bad. But how is this guy still with the club? I would really at least like to see the current scenarios minutes go to Jones and Nils while others are out. To see what they can do.

Definitely think, from the AHL perspective at least, that Jones is ready for the NHL.

Reactions: leetch99

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I've always liked Jones's game.

He's got a good jump in his skates and is loose and heady with the puck. Made some real nice closure plays on some very good established players today.

Said it from the preseason on, he deserves a spot on this team.

I would go as far as to say that he's the best skater in the entire organization. Hands down.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I would go as far as to say that he's the best skater in the entire organization. Hands down.
Kravtsov exists :sarcasm:
Kreider too. Chytil & Gauthier as well. But Jones does provide something on the backend that we’ve been lacking ever since we lost DeAngelo. Really hope he stays in the lineup. He probably should’ve made the team over Lundkvist (even though Lundkvist has improved a lot). Nemeth & Tinordi should be out.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Kravtsov exists :sarcasm:
Kreider too. Chytil & Gauthier as well. But Jones does provide something on the backend that we’ve been lacking ever since we lost DeAngelo. Really hope he stays in the lineup. He probably should’ve made the team over Lundkvist (even though Lundkvist has improved a lot). Nemeth & Tinordi should be out.

Lol. They are all great skaters. But I mean it, Jones seriously might be the best of them all. No, he's not quite McDavid. But he's really close to being an elite skater if he isn't already.

And yea, I honestly do not think playing Jones over Nemeth/Tinordi changes our playoff hopes at all. So to me, it makes so much more sense trying to develop a guy like Jones, while not really altering the trajectory of the team as a whole.

I want to see him paired with Trouba the most and then see him QB the 2nd PP. Lundkvist should probably be the 2nd Dman on either the 1st or 2nd PP as a sniper. And frankly, I would be fine with having Trouba on the PP as well. So 2 Dmen on the PP1 and 2 on the PP2. Given our lack of forward talent, or at least lack of current forward ability and play, that would be the best way to go IMO.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
We all know Nemeth is back in the line up once he's healthy, at the expense of Jones.

Never know....... the great and magical Hajek could probably play 60 minutes as our only LD. He might steal everyone's spot at LD. Clearly, Drury and Gallant are enamored with such a dynamic hockey wizard.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's nice to read that Jones is doing well for you guys. I wanted the Habs to take him with our 3rd that year. We ended up taking Norlinder, who is good, but not as good as Jones. Not then and not now, IMO.

How is Lundkvist doing?

Reactions: brakeyawself

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's nice to read that Jones is doing well for you guys. I wanted the Habs to take him with our 3rd that year. We ended up taking Norlinder, who is good, but not as good as Jones. Not then and not now, IMO.

How is Lundkvist doing?
Better recently. Unremarkable. Which isn't bad for a defenseman, especially a young one, but he hasn't stood out in any meaningful way, IMO.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nemeth

He was impressive last night..played with little hesitation on the PP...sharp hard passes to areas we normally do not pass to . I think he will make some D side of the puck mistakes...that is expected and something we have to get past and we know Nemeth does that already . That quickness and uptempo stuff speeds the whole unit of 5 guys up.....and that makes a difference on the offense and has us streaking thru mid ice faster .

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He was impressive last night..played with little hesitation on the PP...sharp hard passes to areas we normally do not pass to . I think he will make some D side of the puck mistakes...that is expected and something we have to get past and we know Nemeth does that already . That quickness and uptempo stuff speeds the whole unit of 5 guys up.....and that makes a difference on the offense and has us streaking thru mid ice faster .

This is something that is really valuable in today's NHL - and maybe doubly so for a forward group as skilled as the Rangers. He really does make some tougher passes that spring guys up the ice look easy.

Its also something that isnt always noticed until a guy like Jones graduates to the NHL level, because hes playing with world class skill that can make something of it

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He's pounding on the door. Gives the Rangers some nice flexibility going into the trading deadline. One thing to keep in mind--there will be injuries in the playoffs. Having replacement-level guys ready to go is really useful. Ralph Diaz got starts for the Rangers during the last Cup run.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
He's pounding on the door. Gives the Rangers some nice flexibility going into the trading deadline. One thing to keep in mind--there will be injuries in the playoffs. Having replacement-level guys ready to go is really useful. Ralph Diaz got starts for the Rangers during the last Cup run.

Diaz was one of those guys who I liked with no real reasoning behind it. I think I was enamored with his skating ability.

He's still playing over in Switzerland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad