Yzerman is back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Remember when he came out to announce team Canada's roster and he did a michael bay and couldn't talk

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's rather strange how fan narratives create these "he sucks" / "he's a genius" extreme opinions.

Steve Yzerman has so far been GM for... one good team that did well, if slightly under-achieved in the post-season, and, currently, the worst team in hockey.

Ken Holland has been GM for... the team that dominated the League for 20 years and won a few Cups, while his current team has been strong since he arrived.

But, of course, on this forum, every minor move Yzerman makes is genius, and Holland is the biggest idiot who ever lived.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If anyone remembers Yzerman in the 80's his nickname was "Captain Choker", until all the studs and Bowman came aboard he had accomplished nothing except rack up points (one dimensional) and make Ysebaert look good at times on his wing.

I like how "new" fans only read the revised history of Yzerman.

Yzerman, literally PPG his first two playoff runs. The 87-88 playoffs he came back from a career threatening knee injury to play the last three games. Then he came back with 10 points in 6 games the very next year in a series they lost because their goaltending sucked.

It makes me happy to see Edmonton blow the best years of their superstars because of fans like you.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAngryHank

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It's rather strange how fan narratives create these "he sucks" / "he's a genius" extreme opinions.

Steve Yzerman has so far been GM for... one good team that did well, if slightly under-achieved in the post-season, and, currently, the worst team in hockey.

Ken Holland has been GM for... the team that dominated the League for 20 years and won a few Cups, while his current team has been strong since he arrived.

But, of course, on this forum, every minor move Yzerman makes is genius, and Holland is the biggest idiot who ever lived.

Tell me you don't know about hockey without telling me you don't know about hockey.

Tampa's success right now is because of the work that Steve Yzerman did in the mid 2010s. The guys carrying that roster are all Yzerman draftees or, in the case of Hedman and Stamkos, guys that he got to take a massive discount from what they could get elsewhere.

Detroit's nadir right now and the debacle that was 2019-2020? That was because of Ken Holland and his ridiculous long term commitments to guys like Abdelkader and Helm who were sub-NHL level. Due to his complete inability to add legitimate top 4 defensemen to the roster. Due to about 15 years of very mediocre drafting.

And Edmonton? They were "strong" before he got there. They have Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Most of the core driving them right now predates Holland as well. Maybe Bouchard and Broberg grow to be something awesome. The RNH contract is fair value and that's a nice move. But they're going to chuck 5M+ down the hole for 8 years to Zach Hyman. Zach Hyman is a hard working, blood and guts kind of player. He's also the type of player that teams routinely get burned by on the FA market (Belesky, Abdelkader, Clarkson, Bickell) He's the guy you let someone else give the huge contract to and you pick up as a rental in his last FA year when they retain 50% on him.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Tell me you don't know about hockey without telling me you don't know about hockey.

Tampa's success right now is because of the work that Steve Yzerman did in the mid 2010s. The guys carrying that roster are all Yzerman draftees or, in the case of Hedman and Stamkos, guys that he got to take a massive discount from what they could get elsewhere.

Detroit's nadir right now and the debacle that was 2019-2020? That was because of Ken Holland and his ridiculous long term commitments to guys like Abdelkader and Helm who were sub-NHL level. Due to his complete inability to add legitimate top 4 defensemen to the roster. Due to about 15 years of very mediocre drafting.

And Edmonton? They were "strong" before he got there. They have Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Most of the core driving them right now predates Holland as well. Maybe Bouchard and Broberg grow to be something awesome. The RNH contract is fair value and that's a nice move. But they're going to chuck 5M+ down the hole for 8 years to Zach Hyman. Zach Hyman is a hard working, blood and guts kind of player. He's also the type of player that teams routinely get burned by on the FA market (Belesky, Abdelkader, Clarkson, Bickell) He's the guy you let someone else give the huge contract to and you pick up as a rental in his last FA year when they retain 50% on him.
Take it easy, there, man. I'm not saying Yzerman bad, Holland good. I'm saying that the knee-jerk reactions people have with the most recent moves made my managers lead to silly, extreme opinions. In reality, probably Yzerman and Holland are both competent, good-ish managers who more or less know that they're doing. Either way, it's too soon to judge Holland's work in Edmonton and Yzerman might have another 10-12 years or more of legacy building as a manager to do.

Reactions: The Expert

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Take it easy, there, man. I'm not saying Yzerman bad, Holland good. I'm saying that the knee-jerk reactions people have with the most recent moves made my managers lead to silly, extreme opinions. In reality, probably Yzerman and Holland are both competent, good-ish managers who more or less know that they're doing. Either way, it's too soon to judge Holland's work in Edmonton and Yzerman might have another 10-12 years or more of legacy building as a manager to do.

People aren't judging Holland's work in Edmonton. They're judging his last decade in Detroit when he was objectively awful. Detroit is bad now because Holland did a poor job. Doesn't stop him from being a Hall of Famer and one of the best GMs of all time... but we have a shitty team in Detroit right now because of what Holland did post-Lidstrom retirement. I even agreed with a lot of it. There was some thought behind most of the moves (can't defend Abdelkader or Helm contracts in any way, but the other mistakes all kinda happened to be reasoned bets and overly cautious moves that flopped). The drafting was abysmal though. Yzerman finally has the Wings where they've got the flexibility to make moves to get better again. They can be a little more proactive in going after big fish.

Yzerman is an upper tier GM right now. Tampa won back to back Cups with his roster. JBB carried on what he did, but those Tampa teams are Yzerman's teams.

And with this... we see Holland gearing up to offer 7 or 8 years to Zach Hyman who is the exact type of player that signs a terrible contract he has no prayer of living up to while Yzerman deals a 3rd round pick for a young goalie who was a Calder finalist this past season. We see Holland trade 2 2nds and a 4th for Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou to get a combined 9 games and 2 points out of them while Yzerman flips Jacob De La Rose who was a waiver wire pickup by Holland for Robby Fabbri who gets 31 points in 52 games and 18 in 30 on two atrocious offensive teams.

Holland is a legendary GM. He's also got a mindset that is out of sorts with the current league. He routinely plays it safe when he should go for it or goes for it when he should be rebuilding.
Yzerman has made a lot of no to low risk, low-medium reward type of moves in Detroit, because that's what the cap constraints he walked into allowed him. He had a roster of really bad and worthless pieces. If he completes this turnaround of Detroit and they get back to Cup winning ways, he's top 3 GM of all time territory. The next couple years will be the challenge for Yzerman in Detroit because he's going to have to start making bigger moves to hit the anvil when it's hot. He's doing exactly what a GM of a rebuilding team should do right now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goalies can't be predicted. Ned played, what 30 games? His save percentage dips and no fleecing happened.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Canes are in their window of contention right now and that can close pretty quickly.

I think they can take another leap with a more proven star goalie who gets them through the playoffs. I've been thinking that for the past couple years, actually.

If they end up with someone like Gibson for example, I would be pretty happy about it if I was a Canes fan. They need to be in win now mode.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Last time Yzerman was relevant was mid-late 90's...he couldn't even get TB over the hump, they are so much better without him.
He basically built the whole team. He left because Detroit needed a new GM, he had be waiting for that spot.

Had He stayed, they would've still won the cups.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Rooting for nedelkovic - I like an old fashioned athletic normal sized goalie. Hope he does well in Detroit.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Detroit just fleeced Carolina and it only took a 3rd (Detroit traded for Nedeljkovic). Is Tom Dundon really this cheap? What is the reasoning behind giving up on your calder candidate this early? Did Ned want out? I'd really like the Carolina faithful to make sense out of this trade for non fans. Just seems absolutely dumb on Carolina's part to let him go for so little.

So Yzerman got lucky, no skill at all here in this trade.

Apparently the only reason Carolina traded him was because they are a classy organization. News outlets are reporting that Nedeljkovic's fiancee, Emma, is in nursing school at Michigan State. The trade allows him to be closer to her and home.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
There's a bit of a false narrative with this assumption that Yzerman is some sort of wizard here with the Canes trade. I mean, from what I've heard, the Canes weren't even going to qualify him. I'm sure Yzerman was not the only one looking at Ned either. I'm sure other GM's were given a chance and they didn't want to pay more than Yzerman did.

Not saying it was a bad move, but only time will tell if this was a good move, regardless of how it looks now.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

You’re completely overplaying Holland’s success from a decade ago and ignoring Yzerman’s success lately.

Calling the closest thing to a dynasty and imo the best team of the cap era just a good team might be the biggest undersell I’ve ever seen. Breisbois made good moves after Y left but he built the entire core of that team. He undoubtedly did a near perfect job with that team and the results are now there.

With Detroit, he inherited the worst roster in the league AND had to deal with countless long term contracts for bad players such as Ericsson, Abby, Helm, Nielsen, etc. Imagine being the worst team in the league AND not having cap space? That was us a few years ago. That was the mess Holland left us in. Holland is solid at trading when he does, but that’s the problem, he so rarely does.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Blackhawks will have more success over the next 10 years
You're right, the Blackhawks looking really good on the ice and off the ice right now :sarcasm:

Can't wait to hear Stan Bowman address the media about those sexual assault allegations.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yzerman is an upper tier GM right now. Tampa won back to back Cups with his roster. JBB carried on what he did, but those Tampa teams are Yzerman's teams.
Well Brisebois took over a very good team that could not win it all, made some important tweaks and produced 2 winners. The nucleus was Yzerman's teams but don't overlook it was Brisebois that got them home.
Also if you look at Tampa's drafting record in the nine or so years Yzerman was GM it isn't very good. 2011 was a great draft but the last impact guy they drafted was in 2014 getting Point in the 3rd round. And signing guys like Stamkos and Hedman to great value contracts is much easier in a state with no income tax. He's a good GM but not as good as you make him out to be.

Reactions: The Expert

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's pretty glaring that Yzerman traded for and signed a good (if risky) young goalie to a friendly deal on the same day that Holland re-signed a goalie until he's 41 with numerous injury and consistency issues.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Main difference going from Holland to Yzerman is gaining a GM with actual kahunas that will pull the trigger on significant moves rather than give players 8 year retirement contracts.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad