Yzerman is back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Must be super stressful figuring out which of the 15 active Canadians at a given point that will be in the Hall of Fame to bring along to the Olympics.

Built Team Canada? Pretty much the only requirement to be a GM of team Canada is the ability to choose Crosby over Bertuzzi.

Yzerman fanatics praise everything he does and are blinded by absolute loyalty...him "building" Team Canada is literally a joke.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Fun fact: Yzerbart played with Fedorov and Shawn Burr on the second line from 91 to 93.

And Captain Choker? I vaguely remember Yzerman and the underdog wings getting to back to back conference finals against powerhouse Edmonton...

If anything, From 91 to 96 Detroit's goaltending caught flak, not nearly as much garbage was directed at Yzerman.

But hey, trolls is gonna troll.

If you have followed hockey since the 80's you would know that Yzerman was labelled a "choker" until he won his first Cup...this was prevalent on CBC and The Hockey News.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
If it's so easy for Team Canada to win gold medals in hockey, then why did they not medal in 2006 and only win bronze in 2018?

Yzerman managed the team twice and won gold twice. Can't do much better than that.

Reactions: WF19

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If it's so easy for Team Canada to win gold medals in hockey, then why did they not medal in 2006 and only win bronze in 2018?
Well in 2018 it wasn't NHL players. As far 2006 (and 1998), there is still variance at play in best 1 knockouts, and I think their 2010 and 2014 rosters were stronger on paper. No Kris Drapers because you had guys like Toews and Bergeron that could do that role better while being more threatening the other way.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Well in 2018 it wasn't NHL players. As far 2006 (and 1998), there is still variance at play in best 1 knockouts, and I think their 2010 and 2014 rosters were stronger on paper. No Kris Drapers because you had guys like Toews and Bergeron that could do that role better while being more threatening the other way.

I forgot about that in 2018, that is a good point

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
As a Detroit fan, I think the trade makes sense for both teams.

Carolina can't hang their hat on Ned, they are in win now mode. Mrazek looked more steady against Tampa, so I think even re-signing Mrazek is a better option for CAR as a starter. Detroit can afford to do a wait-and-see with Ned, and give him the playing time he needs.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
No NHL players in 2018 and a dumbass who took Bertuzzi over the likes of Crosby in 2006.

Crosby finished with 100+ points and… Bertuzzi didn’t end anyone’s career that year?

EDIT: Even in 2014, pretty much the only difference between Yzerman's team and every armchair GM in Canada was that Yzerman left St. Louis off the team. And then injuries forced him to put in St.Louis and they still won. So I'd say pretty confidently that 99% of HFBoards could have come up with a winning Team Canada that year. It's not an insult on Yzerman whose team got it done, but we shouldn't be using that as any proof of his GM prowess except he's as smart (or smarter) than the typical HFboards member.

Last edited:

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Your joking right? He built pretty much that entire Tampa team. Drafted Kuch,vasy, killorn, cirelli, point and so on. He left on his own terms. Also built team Canada as well. Most people will say im a homer but I take Yzerman over every single gm in the league.
He didn't draft Killorn (he was here before even Stamkos, Hedman). Also, as much as I absolutely am a Steve Yzerman fan, lets not just give all the credit to him. He has a team of scouts and a head of scouting + numerous AGMs that help him do his job. I think a lot of the credit for Tampa's success should also go to Al Murray. He helped build the Canadian Olympic teams with Yzerman and he was also head of scouting for LA and helped build both their cup winning teams (Yzerman had nothing to do with these obviously). When Yzerman left Tampa, he was only able to pry Verbek away, fortunately Tampa kept everyone else including JBB, and Al Murray.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
People are acting like the Canes traded a perennial Vezina candidate. It may come back to bite them but why not wait until it happens before overreacting?

Simply put, the Canes gave up on a goalie with a bright future, simply because they didn't want to pay him an extra 1m-1.5m. Look if Ned had demanded a ridiculous salary/term etc... I'd agree with you but the kid wanted an extra mil!!! lol The pro's far outweigh the con's of taking a chance on him in this situation. They had already spent a lot of time developing him in their farm system. I'm sure if your team did this, you would also be upset over it.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
As a Detroit fan, I think the trade makes sense for both teams.

Carolina can't hang their hat on Ned, they are in win now mode. Mrazek looked more steady against Tampa, so I think even re-signing Mrazek is a better option for CAR as a starter. Detroit can afford to do a wait-and-see with Ned, and give him the playing time he needs.
Mrazek looked like crap against Tampa. One decent game, the other he was awful. Ned got beat 2-1, 2-1, 2-0.... not much your goalie can do when your team can't score a goal.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Fleeced?

Maybe let's wait to see how Nedelkjovic does playing for Detroit instead of playing behind a ridiculously good Carolina team before we call it getting "fleeced", no?

Nedelkjovic let in a bunch of softie stinkers in that Tampa Bay series. I'm not convinced he's going to be this great starter moving forward.

Right? It could be worse...you could have Mike Smith on your roster for 2 more years!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
If anyone remembers Yzerman in the 80's his nickname was "Captain Choker", until all the studs and Bowman came aboard he had accomplished nothing except rack up points (one dimensional) and make Ysebaert look good at times on his wing.

I like how "new" fans only read the revised history of Yzerman.
This is a seriously hot take.

I've been watching Yzerman since he entered the league and your version of events is a hilarious fabrication.

Ysebaert is a weird name check given he was on the Wings for a whopping 3 seasons. I guess that must be the season or two you actually watched a few Wings games.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Hopefully Yzerman can join Edmonton in 5 years to clean up the mess that Holland is about to make.
As a Wings fan I'm very happy Holland is no longer the GM. But I do feel bad that he's mucking things up in Edmonton during the prime years of two elite hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad