Yzerman is back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dancing Plague

Jun 27, 2014
Hopefully Yzerman being back doesn't mean a return of his Matt Carle-esque contract abominations and first round draft flubs.

That stuff used to drive me crazy when he was running things in Tampa.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
His Detroit moves up until now haven't been quite as exciting. This has the potential to be a low risk, huge return trade. Kinda reminds me of when Yzerman/Tampa fleeced Ottawa for Bishop with Cory Conacher.

Kind of like when they got Robby Fabbri for literal waiver-wire pickup Jacob De La Rose?
Kind of like when he drafted Moritz Seider at 6 when it looked like an off the board pick and now Seider's looking like one of the best D not in the NHL yet?
Kind of like when he traded Mantha for Vrana, a first, a 2nd, and Richard Panik?

They haven't been exciting because the Red Wings needed to finish their teardown before they could really start picking up. You're not noticing the moves because of just how decrepit the Wings had become from 2016 to 2019.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Calder candidate aside, Nedeljkovic has been around the AHL for a while and been up and down throughout his career. Perhaps, he has completely turned the corner and is truly the goaltender of the future, we'll see. At one point, Bernier was also "the goaltender of the future" with Toronto. The contract he signed is reflective of his current market value for a reason.

Reactions: 14ari13

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!

Attachments

• tenor2.gif
    tenor2.gif
    147.4 KB · Views: 11

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Offer Svechnikov a contract loaded with salary bonus and see if they scoff at it, flex their muscles and match it again like they did Aho.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
As a Wings and Canes fan, I'm conflicted on this. Sad to see Ned leave Carolina, but also a little suspicious about how he'll perform with a garbage defense in front of him. We shall see.
Detroit's defense is gonna take a big step in the right direction next year. We do have Seider and Leddy coming in. Both probably better than anyone we had last year and the offseason has just begun..

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Fleeced?

Maybe let's wait to see how Nedelkjovic does playing for Detroit instead of playing behind a ridiculously good Carolina team before we call it getting "fleeced", no?

Nedelkjovic let in a bunch of softie stinkers in that Tampa Bay series. I'm not convinced he's going to be this great starter moving forward.
He let in one really bad goal... other than that, he clearly out played Mrazek. Not like that is some great accomplishment though... I think what I take out of this, the most, is that the rumors of Dundon being "cheap" and playing hardball with his player's salaries might be true. I mean, you can't cough up an extra 1m to pay your calder candidate goalie? It also took Montreal offer sheeting Aho to get that ball rolling.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Last time Yzerman was relevant was mid-late 90's...he couldn't even get TB over the hump, they are so much better without him.
Your joking right? He built pretty much that entire Tampa team. Drafted Kuch,vasy, killorn, cirelli, point and so on. He left on his own terms. Also built team Canada as well. Most people will say im a homer but I take Yzerman over every single gm in the league.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Built Team Canada? Pretty much the only requirement to be a GM of team Canada is the ability to choose Crosby over Bertuzzi.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Your joking right? He built pretty much that entire Tampa team. Drafted Kuch,vasy, killorn, cirelli, point and so on. He left on his own terms. Also built team Canada as well. Most people will say im a homer but I take Yzerman over every single gm in the league.

He didn't win a ring as GM, so he failed...and then quit on the team.

After Yzerman left, TB won 2 Cups back-to-back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fleeced?

Maybe let's wait to see how Nedelkjovic does playing for Detroit instead of playing behind a ridiculously good Carolina team before we call it getting "fleeced", no?

Nedelkjovic let in a bunch of softie stinkers in that Tampa Bay series. I'm not convinced he's going to be this great starter moving forward.
I don't know what he'll be either. It's tough to tell in a normal year when a guy plays 23 games what he'll be like the following year, but this year is even harder yet. Once you get more exposure to more teams, there are going to be teams that will find weaknesses. Weaknesses that will be eventually exploited by others.

It's one thing I've heard about Driedger that whoever was going to acquire him will have to watch as the goalie guru's have noticed some holes in his game that he will have to fix to take the next level.

With all that being said 3mil as it stands today is very low end starter money. By the time the season starts 3mil it'll probably be backup money. At 25 I don't see why you wouldn't want to stick with the guy for a couple more years that you drafted and developed.

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Built Team Canada? Pretty much the only requirement to be a GM of team Canada is the ability to choose Crosby over Bertuzzi.

If anyone remembers Yzerman in the 80's his nickname was "Captain Choker", until all the studs and Bowman came aboard he had accomplished nothing except rack up points (one dimensional) and make Ysebaert look good at times on his wing.

I like how "new" fans only read the revised history of Yzerman.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
He didn't win a ring as GM, so he failed...and then quit on the team.

After Yzerman left, TB won 2 Cups back-to-back.
Are you trolling? That team is Yzerman creation 99%. He left to rebuild the Wings. It was the only offer that would make him leave Tampa.

PS: Don't worry man, Detroit will win another cup before Flyers and Oilers. :D

Reactions: WF19

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Are you trolling? That team is Yzerman creation 99%. He left to rebuild the Wings.

By that take should previous GM's of all teams get credit and should pat themselves on the back if their former team wins the Cup after they leave or are fired? All teams are composed of remnants of the previous GM who couldn't take the team to another level.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If anyone remembers Yzerman in the 80's his nickname was "Captain Choker", until all the studs and Bowman came aboard he had accomplished nothing except rack up points (one dimensional) and make Ysebaert look good at times on his wing.

I like how "new" fans only read the revised history of Yzerman.

Fun fact: Yzerbart played with Fedorov and Shawn Burr on the second line from 91 to 93.

And Captain Choker? I vaguely remember Yzerman and the underdog wings getting to back to back conference finals against powerhouse Edmonton...

If anything, From 91 to 96 Detroit's goaltending caught flak, not nearly as much garbage was directed at Yzerman.

But hey, trolls is gonna troll.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Must be super stressful figuring out which of the 15 active Canadians at a given point that will be in the Hall of Fame to bring along to the Olympics.
You can say the sane thing for the Americans or whichever country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad