GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Anaheim Ducks, 10 PM EST, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Shouldn’t be all that hard actually. 2-3 steps.

We sound like 2021-2022 all over again. Wonder what happened after that.
A new head coach. A new starting goalie while having Daws serve as a backup. Let Smith walk. Sign Miller to a short term deal. Run Hamilton , Siegenthaler , Marino , Hughes , Nemec , Miller , Bahl as your defense. Sign Toffoli to a short term deal.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
A new head coach. A new starting goalie while having Daws serve as a backup. Let Smith walk. Sign Miller to a short term deal. Run Hamilton , Siegenthaler , Marino , Hughes , Nemec , Miller , Bahl as your defense. Sign Toffoli to a short term deal.

Why would anyone think Toff is going to accept a short term deal on his last opportunity to cash out? I don't see him getting any less than 4 years, but I would guess 5. Hopefully that's not with us

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Firing Fitz would be an enormous mistake.
Why? What’s he do well? Can’t find a goalie worth a shit and fast enough and can’t see what is or isn’t a good / bad coach.

He let the coach we should’ve had walk to Nashville.

Camille the Eel

That's a telling story.

We know that they give up more first goals than anyone in league history... But I bet that they also take longer to score the first goal than anyone else in the league. ..they seem to need 20 shots every night to score a goal.
You could argue the single biggest turning point of the game was Tierney missing a wide open breakaway with all the time in the world about 6 minutes in. We never again had a chance to take the lead. Shortly after that we were chasing the entire game.

Idk why this is the most depressing loss of the season. Or maybe the most depressing loss is always the latest one.

Reactions: JimEIV

Camille the Eel

Ouf. Take it with speed right at the goalie. You knew it was a loser when he took the puck wide and went in slow. Or if you make the move he did, you have to stay another five feet out (like Pasta does in shoot outs) and not be in so deep.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the penalty shot called with two seconds left ever in that situation. Blatant violation and good call. Gift from the Gods and Jack wet the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalamityX23

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Fitz’s eval and adjustment of the bottom 6, has hurt this team.

Resigned a perv.
Signs Palat to 6m. (Never played a full season. Over 30. Plays on the top line. Only 9 goals and 24 points)
Signs Haula 3.5m. (Played in the top 6. Has only scored over 20 goals once. Projected 35-40pts.)
Tomas Nosek 1m. (16gp. Zeros aross the board. Minus 4)
Chris Tierney. 35 games 7pts not terrible but slow, and a non threat.

Coming Soon:
Kurtis MacD. 30gp 2 goals.

Curtis Lazar: 4 gold stars.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
In retrospect the season probably was over well before this road trip. Just too much adversity early on the season, all the injuries and goaltending troubles. Just no room for off nights and bad luck in this back end of the season, and even the best teams will have them.

They needed to sweep this western trip, possibly win 4 in a row to still have a chance, but couldn't even win 2 in a row.

Still, they did dominate the whole game and had over 50 shots, Jack looked amazing and Timo has been turning it around. Their goalie was lucky ours was not. So it's losses like this that give hope that maybe this a good team hidden under bad coaching, bad goaltending and bad luck.

I have no faith that they would get rid of Lindy, but maybe they'll fire Travis Green and get a new voice in the room and for the PP. Then finally get some luck, get a good goalie who actually performs to his potential (and beyond), avoid the injuries and start turning these 40+ shot games into 4+ goal games.

This season has been one of the biggest disappointments in Devils history, but there's still plenty of hope for the future.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’ve heard this song and dance about other goalies getting lucky and ours sucking for five years now. They don’t even win when they actually get good goaltending. Getting swept by the Ducks is a fitting epitaph

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Once again if Cory Schneider let in goals 1 and 2 tonight Mr Jim is singing a completely different tune.

Those should have been saves, bottomline and it is exactly why Ruff publicly called out the goaltending tonight which he rarely does. He always gives them a long leash with the media
Nah he called out Schmid a couple of times too, he probably avoided it with Vitek at least in part because the dude is soft mentally. But you can’t play the kid like 9 or 10 games in 2.5 weeks and not expect him to short circuit at some point, he’s not Marty for crissakes

captainscott2

Feb 23, 2024
This is his 20th game this season including AHL. Only one back to back. I don't buy being run into the ground.

Do people forget Marty used to go 70+ games a season. Just because the NHL has a more tandem goalie usage, doesn't mean a goalie shouldn't be able to handle high usage. Daws is simply not good enough, like every goalie on our squad.

I’m worried that Daws (if he ever was gonna become anything) may be ruined, between what they did to him in 21-22 cause of how shitty Gillies was and what it looks like they may do the rest of this year or at least until Vitek is back.

I’m ready to send both back (for now, maybe call them back up around the first of April) and roll with Kinkaid/Kallgren.

The season is over anyway.
It’s not a bad idea but once it’s over leget. They r getting close they will ligbten his load.

captainscott2

Feb 23, 2024
Why would anyone think Toff is going to accept a short term deal on his last opportunity to cash out? I don't see him getting any less than 4 years, but I would guess 5. Hopefully that's not with us
I’m scared to get this taffoli deal. I liked the idea of it thinking he could help them make a run this year. Didn’t work out. Please fitz do not sign him Nothing against the player but we don’t need another smallish. Forward especially one that can’t skate.

I’m scared to get this taffoli deal. I liked the idea of it thinking he could help them make a run this year. Didn’t work out. Please fitz do not sign him Nothing against the player but we don’t need another smallish. Forward especially one that can’t skate.
Unless palat is going out then it would be ok. Palat has to be the most overrated player I’ve seen in awhile.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Glad I didn't watch this one.

Might catch one or two games for the rest of the season, this team sucks.

Reactions: ZYXWVUT

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
daws should have been pulled after the second goal. nothing wrong with saying “it’s just not your night take a break.” after the first goal went in it was obvious it was gonna be one of those nights.

would love to know the details of when the devils get 40+ shots on net how many of them are high danger and how does that compare to other teams when they get 40 shots. they had some good chances but for 50 shots on a backup goalie on a bad team that was a weak effort.

bratt should have taken the penalty shot. jack was having a great game but that’s not his strong suit and i worry the deference to him could be a problem

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
daws should have been pulled after the second goal. nothing wrong with saying “it’s just not your night take a break.” after the first goal went in it was obvious it was gonna be one of those nights.

would love to know the details of when the devils get 40+ shots on net how many of them are high danger and how does that compare to other teams when they get 40 shots. they had some good chances but for 50 shots on a backup goalie on a bad team that was a weak effort.

bratt should have taken the penalty shot. jack was having a great game but that’s not his strong suit and i worry the deference to him could be a problem
I didn’t watch the game but yea Jack is not good at the shootout. Bratt should’ve been a no brainer. And letting the inmates run the asylum is a quick way for a loooot of people to lose their jobs.

Reactions: glenwo2

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

According to NST we had 3 times as many HD chances. At least our xGF% and HDCF% improved so not a total waste of a night I guess.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
That Hughes penalty shot was as pathetic as the Kovalchoke one when he lost the puck and didn't even get a shot. Pathetic

Reactions: Mgd31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad