GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I am fuming but I like the TEAM response here. They are pissed off and I am truly hoping this sh!tty game gives them a spark. Nothing sucks as bad as taking a tough loss and seeing them basically shrug their shoulders and skate off the ice. No, losses should not just be accepted. It should burn their asses. Show some passion, start playing with some heart, start playing for each other and f**cking bring it the next game. We better crush the Islanders tomorrow!

I can’t even remember how many times last year I got hope that the team was going to turn a corner and they never did. Let’s see tomorrow

Reactions: Devs3cups

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
This team played good tonight and I know they can play good.

But the thought of them playing teams like the Rangers, Oilers, Stars and Panthers soon frightens the shit out of me lol. Seems like we're so far away from teams like that still.
Eh have to do it eventually. I'm not really afraid. Team has kinks to work out. And sure, it may be rough. But it's also October lol. And the first game with 2 back from injury. I think that's enough reason to extend the timeline for when to start panicking about the team lol.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Terrible way to lose that game. Tied under 5 left you have to get a point out of that game there.

Sign of an immature team that doesn’t know how to play situational hockey. Only we aren’t young any more. I don’t know how to make excuses for this one. Very disappointed by this one.

Ouf. Feels like we are back to square one, starting all over and it’s the same old story.
I honestly think that was the sign of a bad goalie.

If you're just talking about the part with under 5 minutes left.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The team has to win. I'm done with stats. Talbot made a couple very good saves. I really don't think he was great by any means. Pretty average. Markstrom didn't. Let in a bad goal. Boo hoo. It's ******* Detroit. And they are sick. And missing a forward. Just win the damn game.

If the stats start looking like this against good teams and we leave points on the table so be it. I just can't see how this is a moral victory. The stats seem very flattering from what it felt like watching the game.

I honestly still take this game over if things were flipped for this game. Both options are bad but that would've been a complete cliff jump moment for me.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Same shit all over again. Dominate, get destroyed in the goaltending battle, give up backbreaking goals to shit teams.

If it was anyone but the Devils, I wouldn’t care in the long term. But this is now a habit.

This is clinically our team recently.

I hope they keep this game style, and goalies better show up tomorrow and for the rest of the season. They owe this group already a few games.

We went from so close to Nico getting that hat trick to heartbreaker.

As soon as Mercer took that penalty the inevitable happened, with this team.

All we needed were one or two critical saves by the goalie and they didn't happen.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I honestly still take this game over if things were flipped for this game. Both options are bad but that would've been a complete cliff jump moment for me.

It's early enough but it's getting real bad Ruff vibes going at the moment.

In theory I like this team, but at some point that has to translate. Outside of Jack buzzing around and Nico being Nico, we look slow, disorganized and not super dangerous until games are out of reach. Keefe has his work cut out for him.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Jacob Markstrom stopped -2.13 above expected tonight.
His -3.8 goals saved above expected ranks 44th of 49 goaltenders. His SV% is .877.

Mackenzie Blackwood is 26th on the list; Vitek Vanecek is 33rd.

Long past my college days - but for the frat types in here great idea for a drinking game.

One shot for every time you hear "above expected"...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
1729822102360.jpeg

You can kill a man but you can’t kill an idea

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jacob Markstrom stopped -2.13 above expected tonight.
His -3.8 goals saved above expected ranks 44th of 49 goaltenders. His SV% is .877.

Mackenzie Blackwood is 26th on the list; Vitek Vanecek is 33rd.
At least Markstrom doesn't have the same goalie coach that was here under those twoohhhhh.....Wait... Yeah he does.

I was in favor of getting Markstrom, but his great year/shitty year career yoyo pattern is very very concerning.
He may have been bad anyway, but how do you rationalize bringing back this goalie coach?

I asked this in May, not just tonight.

I'm flabbergasted he survived last season. They did bring in a guy with goalie coaching experience in the league in Manny Legace, who has some role with the team now.

Was he brought in because Rogalski is on the hot seat? Maybe? I can't remember the last time a team made a goalie coaching change mid-season, and definitely not in the first month.

I remember goalie coach Jeff Reese abruptly left the Flyers in the middle of the season one year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Devils don't score a goal at even strength. And blame the goalie. Team might not be playing well but we're in mid-season form as far as the narrative goes.

No way this is a serious thought, they CAVED Detroit and their goalie did something ours couldn't. Talbot is making glove saves he can't see on Hughes + company meanwhile Markstrom gives up a goal to Patrick Kane he had full sightline on. Comical opinions from the same posters on this site

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I’m meh on Ullmark too. Would’ve liked Askarov, but Markstrom was the right option. I just hope we get at least an average Markstrom.
The thing is, I think he has for the most part been fine this year, with the obvious exception of tonight. It just sucks that he was shit the night they finally seemed to start putting it together in front of him. Although they screwed themselves with that stupid Mercer penalty late. Still, you get a save on an unscreened shot the entire f***ing arena and everybody watching saw coming and maybe you at least salvage a point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's early enough but it's getting real bad Ruff vibes going at the moment.

In theory I like this team, but at some point that has to translate. Outside of Jack buzzing around and Nico being Nico, we look slow, disorganized and not super dangerous until games are out of reach. Keefe has his work cut out for him.

They were the better faster team the entire night. You can see it on the stat sheet. You can see it with your eyes.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad