HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 3

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Interesting to read takes about Dick Irvin's Canadiens squads that make them sound like the 80s Oilers in terms of firewagon hockey - "don't care if they give up 5 as long as they win".

Some of the Lundqvist takes focusing on GF make them sound like the 2003 Ducks or something. They were a team that consistently spent to the cap, had a lot of talent on the rosters and if anything those "6th in wins, 21st in GF" stat makes it sound to me like they created a defensively stifling environment, one that probably benefitted Lundqvist's numbers overall. Was the money generally well-spent? Well, certainly not always, but we're not talking about the pre-lockout Rangers either.

I mean the year Lundqvist's Rangers made it to the SCF in 2014, the Kings team they lost to was 25th in GF. When they lost to the Devils in the ECF in 2012, the Devils were 11th in regular season goals for, while the Rangers were 13th. The Cup winning Kings were 29th in GF. It's pretty clear you could be a competitive team during Lundqvist's prime on teams with middling overall GF numbers, at least in the regular season.

Would anyone say either of those Kings rosters were lacking in talent despite finishing an average of 27th in GF in their Cup seasons? I certainly wouldn't.

Following the finals appearance, the next three seasons the Rangers were 3rd, 7th, and 4th in GF in the regular season. One of the dangers of looking at GF over such a large period is that these seasons get lost in the mix.

Does any of this say anything about Lundqvist's actual play? No, but let's not pretend he played his career in front of the Jacques Lemaire Wild either.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadArcand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad