GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-2-0, 10 Pts) vs. Washington Capitals (2-1-0, 4 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Game ain't played on paper, it's played on the ice.

That vastly inferior team has also beaten Vegas and Dallas in regulation. We're the only team to hand them a defeat of any kind so far.

Not every game needs to be treated in a life or death manner. There's 74 more of these to go. We won't play this way every time out.
Sorry Sal we have heard this same comment for a decade, the old "it is only game 3 or 5 or 10 or 20", but that being said we have a good looking team this year and I think we will be fine.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nico is the man. That's my only positive takeaway tonight.

I admire the team's resilience but, yeah, it's not great hockey. I think they can certainly get to playing great hockey from here, though. There's really no reason to think they won't be able to.
I said this earlier but I think Siegs was also a positive. Out of the 5D that did get to play I thought he was the only one that was good. Last years Siegs would’ve been a f***ing mess tonight. He does legitimately seem back.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Keefer pissed off with that effort (naturally).

Interesting he is very high on Sieges and Kova (this season so far) stemming from everything he has seen since day 1 camp. I think that was the highest praise I ever heard about Siegenthaler since he got here.

Glad he tore the team a new one behind the scenes.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you can only play well against bad teams and get destroyed by the good teams and struggle against the middle of the pack teams then you’re not going to be a good team in the long run.
Well I wouldn't neccesarily worry about that continuing over the next 75 games, unless the stars never pick it up - which is also unlikely but my bigger concern atm. But the stars (well except Nico) being mid or worse is by far the biggest reason why we're just barely scraping by right now.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I don’t think anyone is saying they’re playing some excellent brand of hockey out there. They’re objectively not. They’ve been good to very good in some games, to bad in others. I think people just see that there’s a lot of variables right now that come into play, and that they probably weren’t going to gel right out of the gate. We’re about 2 weeks into the season.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Sorry, but you don't allow the rebuild Capitals to run freely around the zone for minutes on end the way they did in OT.:rudolf: That being said I will give them some slack since I lied our squad this year.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Keefer pissed off with that effort (naturally).

Interesting he is very high on Sieges and Kova (this season so far) stemming from everything he has seen since day 1 camp.
Not surprising. Outside of tonight where Kovacevic was forced to play his offside for much of the night he’s been awesome (should also lend some benefit of the doubt to Casey) and Siegs was the only D to show up tonight

Well I wouldn't neccesarily worry about that continuing over the next 75 games, unless the stars never pick it up - which is also unlikely but my bigger concern atm. But the stars (well except Nico) being mid or worse is by far the biggest reason why we're just barely scraping by right now.

I’m not going to not worry about it continuing until they show it won’t continue.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Not surprising. Outside of tonight where Kovacevic was forced to play his offside for much of the night he’s been awesome (should also lend some benefit of the doubt to Casey) and Siegs was the only D to show up tonight

I mega ninja-added to my post after you quoted. Yeah, Siegenthaler looks like a new man, closer (but better) than his 22-23 version so far.

Reactions: Hisch13r

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don’t think anyone is saying they’re playing some excellent brand of hockey out there. They’re objectively not. They’ve been good to very good in some games, to bad in others. I think people just see that there’s a lot of variables right now that come into play, and that they probably weren’t going to gel right out of the gate. We’re about 2 weeks into the season.

People have cited a 5-2-1 record though, which is why I pointed out the games in hand thing. If you look at the standings and account for that, it's not as good as it seems

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I said this earlier but I think Siegs was also a positive. Out of the 5D that did get to play I thought he was the only one that was good. Last years Siegs would’ve been a f***ing mess tonight. He does legitimately seem back.
I’ve seen you post multiple negative posts about Nemec throughout the game (sometimes a bit undeservedly) so I’m sure you don’t think he played well. But I think it was my favourite game from him this season. Very few notable mistakes, he was skating really well, jumping in the rush, and trying to make plays in the ozone even if some of them didn’t work. Still room to improve but it’s what I like to see. Coaching staff also seems to agree as they were double shifting him at multiple points in the game and Keefe unpromptedly brought up that he’s been playing better lately.

His skating and trying to make things happen were the biggest positives to me. Should lead to more down the road if he keeps that up. Also loved his poise on the point a few times.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
We've had years where we had a good record while playing mediocre hockey only for it to cave in onto our heads as the season went. Granted, our roster right now is way better than those teams but that's a good/bad thing. You think they'll get it together once the reinforcements on the back end arrive but it's not a total given per se.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Our oldest visits for the first time in months to go to a friend’s wedding we drive him there (so he can get tanked up) and we decide to go out for a decent dinner and they pull this stunt? What sort of BS is this. I miss one game and they decide to dial it in. They can’t force me to have to watch every one . Not cool.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
People have cited a 5-2-1 record though, which is why I pointed out the games in hand thing. If you look at the standings and account for that, it's not as good as it seems
It’s a 113 point, 51 wins pace. It’s plenty good given the circumstances. Ido agree they’re not playing at their best out there though. But there are encouraging signs to me.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I mega ninja-added to my post after you quoted. Yeah, Siegenthaler looks like a new man, closer (but better) than his 22-23 version so far.

So far I think he’s closer to the 21-22 version where he was an elite shutdown guy than the 22-23 version where on the whole more “really good” with some big ups and downs

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If you can only play well against bad teams and get destroyed by the good teams and struggle against the middle of the pack teams then you’re not going to be a good team in the long run.

I don't stick to narratives like these after 8 games. I don't think Toronto destroyed us, I think our own sloppiness did us in. Carolina outplayed us, no question. This loss was not pretty defensively, and there are obviously things that need work. But that was something that I personally expected. As much as we'd all love everything to be clicking out of the gate, with all the surrounding context, it was always more likely that there'd be a fair share of hurdles in the way.

I can't get wrapped up in defining this team after going 3-2-1 in a 6 game over 10 day span. There are things I've seen that I've liked, there are things I've seen that I dislike. If this becomes a recurring pattern, color me concerned.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We've had years where we had a good record while playing mediocre hockey only for it to cave in onto our heads as the season went. Granted, our roster right now is way better than those teams but that's a good/bad thing. You think they'll get it together once the reinforcements on the back end arrive but it's not a total given per se.
It’s not just the missing top-4 D-pair. It’s the new coach/system and the whacky schedule to start. Those are all valid reasons for meh play to start the year. Hopefully they figure it out ASAP but it’s not out of the ordinary imo.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Come on man...really?
Yup. It’s a good record 8 games in given the circumstances. Not sure why some are trying to bring people down on this. It’s objectively a good record.

Worst thing is, I agree they’re haven’t looked their best at all. I’m not suggesting they’ve played up to that record. But the record is favorable.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s not just the missing top-4 D-pair. It’s the new coach/system and the whacky schedule to start. Those are all valid reasons for meh play to start the year. Hopefully they figure it out ASAP but it’s not out of the ordinary imo.

Just saying the PTSD of the fanbase, I can't say I totally disagree with what they're saying but it's also definitely too early to be upset this stage of the season

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The records pretty good but the play needs to be better from certain players to sustain the strong record. Do think Luke and Pesce provide a nice boost. Jack is by far the biggest concern not just for the rest of this season but for the future of the org whether some people like that or not.

Also need more from Dougie and Palat with their contracts. (That still have quite a bit of term on them)

Meier’s not playing like an 8.8M dollar winger but has definitely been better. Would be nice to see him dominate here and there and look like a constant threat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad