GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-2-0, 10 Pts) vs. Washington Capitals (2-1-0, 4 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Quite good with the best player being awful and missing an entire defensive pairing
It’s also only 5v5. All strengths looks much better. I understand why 5v5 is valuable, but with bigger sample sizes special teams matter and are part of the game as a whole.

Team can be better though. We haven’t seen their A game consistently, but when we have they’ve looked good. Utah, Buffalo, first WSH game as examples.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean a guy like Kovacevic has been forced into playing up and outside of tonight he’s been great all year. Luke/Pesce coming back will probably have some positive impact but I don’t expect it’ll be this transformative thing. Especially not right off the bat with both of them returning from injuries.

You say sarcasm but that’s literally one of the positives of swapping the 2.

This is underrating Luke then, some of the issues they're dealing with are stone footed dmen and not being able to outlet properly. Agreed on Kovacevic, the shoe is gonna drop on him. Getting any good games from him moving forward is a plus at this point till Pesce gets back. Casey will probably be in the AHL once both are fully back from injury too

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This is underrating Luke then, some of the issues they're dealing with are stone footed dmen and not being able to outlet properly. Agreed on Kovacevic, the shoe is gonna drop on him. Getting any good games from him moving forward is a plus at this point till Pesce gets back. Casey will probably be in the AHL once both are fully back from injury too

Jack’s been heavily hampered for nearly a year now because of a shoulder injury. If Luke has similar troubles it’s not going to be a transformative thing off the bat.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can't stand the discarding of wins in this place based on the opponent. Did we not just spend an entire season last year losing to "inferior" teams?

A step in the right direction is beating the teams we should beat. Anyone who expected us to not have things to work on as the season progresses was kidding themselves. 5-2-1 in our first 8 is perfectly acceptable.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Jack’s been heavily hampered for nearly a year now because of a shoulder injury. If Luke has similar troubles it’s not going to be a transformative thing off the bat.
Jack and Luke are not the same player and Jack’s biggest hamper has been the inability to play at full speed consistently night in night out

Reactions: Devs3cups

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think it’s a notably harder save. I bet they go in a lot more often.

The shooter has a lot more time and space to walk right into it and pick his spot. That makes a huge difference IMO. Goalie also has to be ready in case it does get over.
It is a tougher save if you're unsure whether your D is actually going to do the right thing. Yeah you 'have the shooter', but anyone who's watched our team play the last seven years excepting one knows that it's hardly a guarantee.

It's hard to fault Markstrom for anything this season. He's been elite most of the time and we could've been down five or six against Ott if not for ridiculous stops and some posts.

We've got our elite goalie but the effort level and blueline turnovers are still the MO.

I still think we're a much better team, on the blueline and getting Pesce back will help that, but we still need our forwards to play a better team game. Keefe will hopefully crack the whip and sit some guys, and we'll all but into the system.

Better days are coming.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I can't stand the discarding of wins in this place based on the opponent. Did we not just spend an entire season last year losing to "inferior" teams?

A step in the right direction is beating the teams we should beat. Anyone who expected us to not have things to work on as the season progresses was kidding themselves. 5-2-1 in our first 8 is perfectly acceptable.

If you can only play well against bad teams and get destroyed by the good teams and struggle against the middle of the pack teams then you’re not going to be a good team in the long run.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It is a tougher save if you're unsure whether your D is actually going to do the right thing. Yeah you 'have the shooter', but anyone who's watched our team play the last seven years excepting one knows that it's hardly a guarantee.

It's hard to fault Markstrom for anything this season. He's been elite most of the time and we could've been down five or six against Ott if not for ridiculous stops and some posts.

We've got our elite goalie but the effort level and blueline turnovers are still the MO.

I still think we're a much better team, on the blueline and getting Pesce back will help that, but we still need our forwards to play a better team game. Keefe will hopefully crack the whip and sit some guys, and we'll all but into the system.

Better days are coming.
Solid post. I feel our team/defensive game has looked much better, but there’s still some cleaning up to do. Happened a few times tonight, but I’ve seen way less odd-man rushes this season.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I can’t help but feel like Jack’s biggest problem right now is ultimately between the ears.
I think we’ve discussed this and disagreed a lot already so it’s not worth getting into but I strongly disagree and feel as though I’ve seen this from him 100 times already in his short career. Although between the ears is a factor in his bearing down and playing through his skating.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You take that back!
are-you-god-willy-rothbart.gif

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think we’ve discussed this and disagreed a lot already so it’s not worth getting into but I strongly disagree and feel as though I’ve seen this from him 100 times already in his short career. Although between the ears is a factor in his bearing down and playing through his skating.
You’re right we did discuss this lol, I admittedly forgot, wasn’t trying to rehash this discussion lol, apologies!

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

The head in the sand attitude discarding the poor play because the record is fine is really reminiscent of last year. Sure there’s reason to believe they can play better here and maintain a good record but people are deluding themselves if they think this has been a good team so far and they’ll continue to have a good record over the long haul without significant improvement. Based on how last year went I’m not going to just blindly believe those improvements will happen. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Nico is the man. That's my only positive takeaway tonight.

I admire the team's resilience but, yeah, it's not great hockey. I think they can certainly get to playing great hockey from here, though. There's really no reason to think they won't be able to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad